Battery switch suggestion

Vitaly

Yes, it's a pretty burning problem: sparking and something... But even with the switch (and it's must be a great switch, because during the flight high current will stream through it) you wouldn't avoid an electrical arc. Besides this, switch is unwanted additional contact. Less conneсtors - higher reliability!

F

fengshuidrone

He could always mount an automotive relay on there somewhere and put in a tiny little switch. You could even throw it remotely if you used a receiver controlled switch. Just joking. Use the connector. ;):confused::eek:o_O;)

dazzab

Don't is the best advice. I've been looking in to this recently as I'd like to have a remote kill switch on my copters. The switches required are large and they heat up due to the current.

If it's the sparking that's bothering you - I have some XT90 spark-less connectors here to try but a friend told me he found them to be quite cheaply made and not worth the trouble.

I've decided to use a throttle cut option instead of a kill switch. I'll be using a remote RC switch connected to a channel on the RC that interrupts the FC output signal to the ESCs. That way it's independent of the flight controller.

AndyPG

You can use one, we're just saying it's best not to.

The Phantom has been designed to provide a high level of user friendliness so that it appeals to everyone including those who would be put off by the like of fiddly battery connectors.
The entire battery is a cassette which slides into a fully concealed compartment for that fully integrated, self contained concept.

The addition of a switch is still a potential point of failure not to mention extra weight, both of which we can do without.

In your case, a switch for a 6s 6000mah pack in a hungry multicopter, would need to be particularly robust.

Not sure what multirotor you have but if you have a look on ebay or RS for high quality switches rated at 30 Volts and 60+ Amps, they are pretty chunky.

Andy.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
As my fellow MR geniuses have already stated, don't do it. There's no need for it and it's just another point of failure. There's a lot of current flowing from a 6S and you don't want anything that could cause extra resistance. :)

F

fengshuidrone

You'd be looking for something like this I think. I decided against it as it's going to heat up in use and it's a bit large.
That is sort of like what I suggested about an automotive style relay. If he wanted to use that he could really go crazy and energize it with a Turnigy Receiver Controlled Switch and then turn his rig on and off remotely (but keep your fingers away from that toggle while flying.) It says that relay weighs .09 Kg. What is that in grams?

Last edited: