Basic FPV Setup Questions

PCMAerial

Looking into placing some FPV on my rig, but this has something I haven't been to familiar with after lots of "Line of Sight" flying. I just need FPV to frame and reference shots for AP work.

Current setup
-Naza v2
-GoPro or Nex5

I have a liliput monitor already. I'm assuming I need a rx/tx setup but not sure where to start. My FrSky Taranis is 2.8ghz. Do I need 5.8 or 2.8 on the same frequency?

Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
get a 5.8 vtx and xrx, your also gonna need a camera if your not gonna fly through the hero. you will want to get a nice set of cp antenna like Bluebeam Ultra to get this to work good, stock antennas suck. Boss, immersion, or TBS are all good systems in this freq. We use immersion 600mw

PCMAerial

get a 5.8 vtx and xrx, your also gonna need a camera if your not gonna fly through the hero. you will want to get a nice set of cp antenna like Bluebeam Ultra to get this to work good, stock antennas suck. Boss, immersion, or TBS are all good systems in this freq. We use immersion 600mw

Thanks Kloner! I've read probably TOO much info and now getting mixed reviews so that was exactly what I needed to hear. I'm considering video through the Hero, assuming I need some type of video/out cable. Also looking into a Zenmuse if that helps my situation

kloner

Aerial DP
pretty sure zenmeuse has a video signal and all the connections you need. so, vtx and vrx and use the hero you have and the monitor you have. realize it's hard but not impossible to fly through that in a real fpv style. Problems are sometimes when you let off the sticks dji stuff in particular doesn't always self level and you gotta read ground movement to sort it out... framing is no big deal flying los with it though

PCMAerial

pretty sure zenmeuse has a video signal and all the connections you need. so, vtx and vrx and use the hero you have and the monitor you have. realize it's hard but not impossible to fly through that in a real fpv style. Problems are sometimes when you let off the sticks dji stuff in particular doesn't always self level and you gotta read ground movement to sort it out... framing is no big deal flying los with it though

Thanks for the advice man. I'll definitely be flying LOS 90% of the time forsure, seems safer and overall more comfortable. I am mainly interested in fpv for higher altitude shots where it's hard to reference my camera direction. Last night I but the bullet and purchased a Zenmuse 3axis which is out for delivery now. Should be here in 30min

So currently I have:
-Zenmuse H3-3d
-Gopro hero 3+
-Tft monitor

So if the zen has a video signal, do I still need a tx from the zen to an rx on my monitor? I'm going to use the gopro feed for camera. Also do the receivers simply plug into the a/v connection on my monitor? Looking to get fpv setup this week, just want to make sure I get the correct components.

thanks everyone!

kloner

Aerial DP
yep, video tx and rx still needed unless you got a really long cable to hardwire it all....

yea, most of these come with what you need to wire it, but sometimes not so much. for sure the immersion does come with cabling, but i think it takes a rca barrel connector.... i take and open up the monitors and hard wire the correct plug so theres less crap back there...

PCMAerial

yep, video tx and rx still needed unless you got a really long cable to hardwire it all....

yea, most of these come with what you need to wire it, but sometimes not so much. for sure the immersion does come with cabling, but i think it takes a rca barrel connector.... i take and open up the monitors and hard wire the correct plug so theres less crap back there...

Perfect! Now I have to figure out how to get this zenmuse powered up. I have a GCU but not sure if it is supposed to run from my PDB, or if an external battery is needed. I have a spare 3s but no male/female JST plugs. Just ready to get this thing going, been apart for too long lol

kloner

Aerial DP
i don't have one of these, but i think it powers from the can buss cable it links to wookong/a2 with

PCMAerial

Well damn, just ordered a JST female plug to plug to my 3s battery. I guess it won't hurt to have any spares. I'm just hoping my 4s 3300mAh battery can power my multi and gimbal at the same time.

Old Man

Kloner,

Would you expand a little on flying through the Go Pro and making that stay working? I've tried doing that with my practice rig and the Go Pro/video always shuts down after 10 minutes or so of ops time. If being used in a straight video mode, completely separate from the FPV stuff, it will run until the battery is dead. Thanks man.

Chris_6699

I have recently built my first Quadcopter. Everything has been setup and configured, however when it is in the air it just drops out of the sky, recalibrates and is good to go again. Why is this happening? Any suggestions on how to fix?
PS. I am happy to put up my part list if it is required.
Thanks

JCLs

Probably knowing battery specs, receiver/TX for control, VTX, motors and ESCs and controller needed to guess at issue. Brown out or loss of radio control signal first two possibilities to check.

KG5BBF AMA#954079