Bank turn question

WhiteBelt

So if my copter is going in a forward motion am I on the right track to make a bank turn(excuse my lack of technical terms)?
1. As copter is going forward use the throttle and start a pirouette, so let's say the joy stick of the throttle is in an 11 o clock direction.
2. Is the joystick on the right hand side going 11 o clock too? Or will it be going 4 o clock?

hope this makes sense...:)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
whitebelt,

i think you're asking how to make the heli do a banked turn like a plane would?

so as you're flying straight ahead you need to roll in the direction that you want to turn and then also yaw the nose in the direction of the turn so that the heli will appear to track straight through the turn.

for a left turn, you'd fly straight ahead and the use the right stick to roll the helicopter left
at about the same time you'll use the left stick to begin yawing the front of the heli also to the left

now, what's different about the helicopter vs a plane is that to keep the heli moving forward through the turn you'll have to actually push the right stick forward and probably add a little throttle to keep it from descending.....i'm trying to imagine how I'd do this as it's harder without a helicopter flying out in front of me but this should get you started.

the more you use the controls the faster and tighter it will turn so be gentle at first and try to time everything so the heli will appear to be flying straight and smooth through the turn.

good luck,
bart

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The joys of the coordinated turn!

Flying in manual is different to GPS or ATTI.

Starting with manual:

A turn to the left is initiated by pushing the right stick (if using a Mode 2 transmitter ie cyclic on the right, throttle and yaw on the left) to the left. A brief moment later, the right stick is pulled back a little bit too. How much depends on the angle of the bank. With the left stick you will need to increase the throttle in order to maintain height and you may also have to add some left yaw in. How much depends on the aircraft.

GPS and ATTI is a bit different (I am talking from a DJI perspective here although I think other brands operate in a similar manner). If you are moving forward, the right stick is already being pushed forward. To turn left keep the right stick forward where it is but add in some left stick (ie to the 10 o'clock position). On the left hand stick add in a bit of yaw by moving the stick to the left. You may or may not also have to add some throttle in to maintain height.

I hope that helps a bit.

Smooth turns that look like a normal aircraft take a bit of practice, the key is in the name ie coordinated turns.

MrTommy

The joys of the coordinated turn!

Smooth turns that look like a normal aircraft take a bit of practice, the key is in the name ie coordinated turns.

All this is true. I've been practicing this A LOT. I've got a P2V and I'm trying like hell to get this 'controlled turn' stuff down so my videos look better. Much better... :tennis:

Another thing I'm practicing is doing a complete 'around the target' video where I do a 360, but 40 or so feet away as I look down, and the cam is always facing my subject. I tried this doing an all-around of my travel trailer at a campground from about 50 foot elevation. My first experiment wasn't bad, but it sure wasn't good - :highly_amused:

But, no matter how good (or bad), it's sure a lot of fun flying this thing.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
............A turn to the left is initiated by pushing the right stick (if using a Mode 2 transmitter ie cyclic on the right, throttle and yaw on the left) to the left. A brief moment later, the right stick is pulled back a little bit too. How much depends on the angle of the bank. With the left stick you will need to increase the throttle in order to maintain height and you may also have to add some left yaw in. How much depends on the aircraft.

carapau,

i don't think that you pull back on the right stick as that would halt the forward progress of the heli through the turn. in a plane you would to increase angle of attack and maintain altitude but with a multi-rotor heli you maintain forward stick pressure to keep moving forward and add throttle to maintain altitude

no?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If Im flying in manual I pull back on the stick but absolutely not if flying ATTI or GPS. To me flying a MR in manual is pretty much identical to flying my SR helis. If I don't pull back on the stick then the turn just goes wrong. Off course, if you pull back too much you will slow the machine right down but too little and the turn goes awry. Pulling back on the stick kind of pulls the aircraft around on the turn if that makes sense. This is at least my way of doing it. Others may well use other methods. Have a go on a sim and experiment.

I would try to explain in more detail but I have just had one hell of a day's flying and I am well and truly goosed. We spent the day flying a Red. To compound the issue, the wind was 15-20mph and most of the shoot was over water. The DP was really chuffed with what we achieved and all the adrenalin and sea air has left me drained. But what a day. My trusty Skyjib 8 could not have worked better.