AVin issue on Black Pearl

rupP

Has anyone had issues with the AVin on a Black Pearl?
Been using the diversity receiver but now got new bird and need to use AVin. Supplied, and aftermarket, video (3.5mm to 3x RCA) cables give fair image when inserted by a few mm (ie insecure) but nothing when pushed fully home. All cables (audio & video) work fine when fully inserted in a different monitor.
Only had Black Pearl for few months, should I return as a warrantee issue or am I just missing something - being stupid?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi mate,

I think the wiring of the pins is different. Mine also only worked when slightly plugged in. I solved it by trying different cables and swapping the leads around a bit. Ended up soldering a new one.

What you need is one that has the three outputs (RCA?) and try each connector in turn. One will work. Then snip off the connectors you don't need. Make sense? :)

rupP

Ah, thankyou. I'll have a play.
I had heard that you need to use the cables that come with the unit but both cables seem standard and work fine on other monitors.
Didn't occur to me that wiring would be anything other than universal standard "rolleyes"
Not much info on this, guessing not many use the AVin......

cootertwo

Why oh why don't they standardize these things! I've got enough cables to reach the moon, and still find stuff I don't have the right jack for! Some have ground, power, video and audio. 1/8" 3/16", 3 prong, 4 prong. And lets not get into power supplies (wall warts) Got a box full of them too!

rupP

Well I cut several cables (video and audio) and systematically tried all combinations, nothing! No signal at all when the jack is pushed fully home.
I find that a short audio cable gives best image on my other monitor setup with avl58 receiver and works well with the black pearl when just inserted by about 1/3.
I'm back to thinking I need to chase this as a warrantee issue.