AV130 mounting to F550 WKM

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
This last week I went ahead and ordered an X468 camera gimbal for my DJI F450 Naza and spent my free time this past weekend working on it. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with my finished result. The predrilled servo holes didn't line up, the gear felt unstable and flimsy, and even with multiple servos (analog and digital) the movement was jerky and wobbly.

So I did what any sensible man would do, I overcompensated by a mile. I ended up going ahead and upgrading to a DJI F550 Wookong-M with an AV 130/360 Camera mount from Photohigher and a JR 9503 TX. The F550 and wookong should come in next week and it looks like it will be a couple weeks on the AV130. My biggest concern now is how to mount the AV130 to the F550 Frame. Have any of you guys come across something similar? If so what was your fix? I'm sure it won't be too difficult but I'd love to hear what has worked and what hasn't.

wbal57

Not to steal your thread but i see what your saying about the x468 quality being low and with the flimsiness. The instructions seem outdated and I'm having problems figuring out how the gear attaches to the f550. Once your frame comes in please post pics of how your frame attaches. I think i'm going to just build my own frame for the 550.

mailman35

yeah ive gotten most of it together, and i fully agree with the directions, it took some time to find the right sized drill bit to widen the holes out. im also stuck with the cam holding part of the frame not going together all the way, i have gaps where the white standoffs should be flush with the frame. may have to do a bit more sanding of the other peices where the servo's go in.
for the price i think the aeroxcraft landing gear + gopro mount might end up being a far better alternative.

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
No worries wbal57. I just ordered everything yesterday so I'm hoping to get started building the F550 when it comes in next week. The AV130 will be a bit of a wait but should give me time to really get flying figured out with the WK-M. I'll be posting my build as I go so keep an eye out for that sometime next week.

As for attaching the landing gear, you're right, the instructions don't quite match up, which was part of my headache. From what I was able to figure out, the landing gear has two "t" shaped slots on either side of it. You insert one of the plastic nuts into each slot and then mount the larger of the mounting plates to those nuts. Then I plopped the copter on top of that with some double sided foam tape for extra stick and screwed the two smaller plates through the slots in the F450 board into the X468 mounting plate. To be honest, I had to do a lot of sanding, a bit of drilling, and a lot of internal cussing. The design of the "t" slot doesn't seem too sturdy and I'm not sure how well it will hold any weight. I haven't had the guts to throw a camera on it yet but might give it a try if I'm really in a bind. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the real camera mount to come in and chalk up the rest to a somewhat expensive learning experience.View attachment 4238

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited by a moderator:

I'd love to see how your Av130/360 skids turns out. I'm considering the same setup except with the extension plates for the arms and 12" props

hjls3

im in the same boat. i ordered the x468 and i think for the price it is decent but there are certainly much better mounts out there. i ended up questioning my building skills more than the kit itself. after building a few other things i have decided - you get what you pay for. for me it was a trial thing to see if i liked taking aerial pics. turns out i did. ended up with this set up...axi motors with conversion to run bigger props., naza (gps soon), graupners few other downlink goodies. let you know how she flies next week :)

View attachment 4750

Attachments

• Lasege Axi F550.jpg
    Lasege Axi F550.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 317

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
I recognize that conversion kit. Did you get that from Patrick over at aerial media pros?

I wish I could have started out knowing what I know now. It would have saved me a ton. But then I guess you have to learn somehow.

hjls3

I recognize that conversion kit. Did you get that from Patrick over at aerial media pros?

Sure did. I have got lots of stuff there and more on the way. I have only had it for a week or so and the few flights have me convinced its a great way to get your feet wet with a 130 and flying around more of a camera than a gopro.

tom66

hello sotomatic,

what about your setup, i would like to buy the AV 130/360 mount too for an 550F frame with stronger motors (MK3638).
Someone told me this would be a problem with the higher center of grativity and the copter would be too wobbly when landing.

Is yours fine and how have you connected it to the 550F?

best, tom

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
I ended up moving over to a larger frame on an impulse buy but I've seen a lot of guys do well with the AV130/F550 setup. Check out aerialmediapros.com. I think they have some landing gear that make the 130 a good fit

Regards,

Josh

tom66

Hi Josh,

thank you for this fast answer, i upgraded in the last months bymyself alot of times, started with the Gaui 330X-s, changed from GU 344 to the GU INS, builded frames by myself, better ESC´s, bigger motors, DJI NAZA & GPS, now the 550F frame.
I hoped i can assemble a good working 3 axis mount to this, but now it feels like i need a bigger frame.
The 550F landing gear from aerialmediapros.com is only a 2 axis solution, pitty.

regards, tom

mmurfitt

@Sotomatic - Did you get the AV130/360 legs and gimbal fitted ok to your F550? Any tips?
I'm looking at buying an F550 in the next week or so and am looking for a 3 axis gimbal which won't break the bank, the AV130 seems to hit the spot.
Do you have any footage shot with it you could share?

RockDW

Gents one and all, am in the midst of the following build,

DroidWorx AD-3
DJI/WKM FC
PhotoHigher AV130
AVROTO 2814-11S Short Shaft 770KV Brushless Motor 4mm shaft 350 watts.
Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System (Volt/Amp/Temp/mAh) V2 Display and RX
Quanum 2.4Ghz Flexible Antenna
DX8 and AR8000

GRAUPNER E-Prop 11"x5" X3
GRAUPNER E-Prop 11 "x5" left rotation X3
MT40A-OPTO-V1with NO BEC. 40AMP ESC

My question is, does anyone know the weight capacity on the AV130. The dealer and factory keep telling me, Photohigher lists that the AV130 "internal dimensions allow for a DSLR up to a Canon 550D". It also states elsewhere that "it is suitable for the GH2". thanks