Audio or not?

Kilby

I was just wondering what you lot do for audio in your FPV set ups. Do you have a mic on board, or just pass it all together? If so, which one?

Curious. Thanks!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I was just wondering what you lot do for audio in your FPV set ups. Do you have a mic on board, or just pass it all together? If so, which one?

Curious. Thanks!

My video TX has a built in mic and it sends the signal down the line along with video from the camera, volume is adjustable. That said it's usually just a whole lot of wind noise and not particulary useful unless you want the full immersion of sound with video.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am just trying to get my head around all the variations I have found and all the ones recommended or suggested. I would want sound.. I like to hear the props to know what they are doing, this may sound silly but I do like to hear the change in sounds as I ascend or descend or am hovering..

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
kilby,
in addition to a myriad of other things i intend to try hanging a microphone four or five feet below my Okto to see if the mic will pick up ground noise better. a videographer i know has asked if i can do video of a triathlon he's been hired to document so having sound from the event instead of whirring props would be a big plus. if you give it a try let us know how it works. i've got the microphone on hand but just haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
bart

Kilby

I am just trying to get my head around all the variations I have found and all the ones recommended or suggested. I would want sound.. I like to hear the props to know what they are doing, this may sound silly but I do like to hear the change in sounds as I ascend or descend or am hovering..

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have been reviewing video shot during FPV flights, and every time there is a problem with rapid decent, I can hear it at least 1-2 seconds on the video before I was able to see it in FPV. Like I mentioned, I've been a musician all my life, so i rely on my ears probably more than the normal person. I had a crash (hard landing) last weekend that was brought on by dropping the throttle a little to much during flight. It took me a little while to visually pick up on the fact that I dropped it to much, but much later than I heard it when I played the video back.

My video TX send audio signal as well, but my camera doesn't have a mic. Can anyone suggest one that they have used, or know someone who has used it?

My video TX also has sound output. When plugged into the Vixia with a audio and video lead I get sights and sounds. Not only good for what you describe but also for hearing that Low Voltage alarm at a distance!:eek: To answer the question, it's not needed but it is useful.