Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Are Mavic Lights Legal for After Sunset Flight?

Discussion in 'FAA Part 107 General Discussion' started by DownandLocked, Jan 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DownandLocked

DownandLocked New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Binghamton, NY
    Posted by DownandLocked, Jan 21, 2017 #1
    I just passed the 107 knowledge test and will be receiving a Mavic Pro ordered a few weeks ago. Part 107 operation requires drone lighting for flights up to 1/2 hour after sunset. Do the lights on the Mavic comply with the 107 requirements?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Tags:
  2. Posted by John Doecliff, Jan 21, 2017 #2
    Good question and I'm going to guess no. My take on that was the lights had to be something more substantial than just the status lights for what mode you are in.

3. Aerodog

Aerodog New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Torrance
    Posted by Aerodog, Mar 8, 2017 #3
    Yesterday I flew a UAS job at sunset and added a very strong LED strobe light on a separate battery. The small lights on any current Phantom or ? are not strong enough. OK for your eyes sure, but not a low flying helicopter about 500'. When you see drone, it's too late. Damage to windshield, hole, broken arms I have seen it all. Knock out the tailrotor is fairly easy with a small bird, and chopper is landing now. Don't let this happen, get a strobe light!

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Posted by Shaun Stanton, Mar 17, 2017 #4
    No not even close.

5. ChrisRL

ChrisRL Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Posted by ChrisRL, Mar 20, 2017 #5