1. Hello Guest,

We are excited to announce that MultiRotorForums.com has been acquired by DroneVibes.com! Read all about it by clicking RIGHT HERE
    *Dismiss this message by clicking "X" top right, the login and get to posting :)

Dismiss Notice

Are Mavic Lights Legal for After Sunset Flight?

Discussion in 'FAA Part 107 General Discussion' started by DownandLocked, Jan 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DownandLocked New Member

DownandLocked

I just passed the 107 knowledge test and will be receiving a Mavic Pro ordered a few weeks ago. Part 107 operation requires drone lighting for flights up to 1/2 hour after sunset. Do the lights on the Mavic comply with the 107 requirements?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. John Doecliff Member

John Doecliff

Good question and I'm going to guess no. My take on that was the lights had to be something more substantial than just the status lights for what mode you are in.

3. Aerodog New Member

Aerodog

Yesterday I flew a UAS job at sunset and added a very strong LED strobe light on a separate battery. The small lights on any current Phantom or ? are not strong enough. OK for your eyes sure, but not a low flying helicopter about 500'. When you see drone, it's too late. Damage to windshield, hole, broken arms I have seen it all. Knock out the tailrotor is fairly easy with a small bird, and chopper is landing now. Don't let this happen, get a strobe light!

4. Shaun Stanton Member

Shaun Stanton

No not even close.

5. ChrisRL Member

ChrisRL