Apm power module

Hi guys,
I have a large y6, which was flying great and then the 90A attopilot i had, got too hot and the resistors moved, which caused a weird power spike and a crash.

i was wondering if it is possible to use the 3dr power module, but on a paralell feed to the pdb for redundancy.
Obviously i will need to scale the readings to make the measurements correct, but in my thinking it will not cause a crash if the power module fails (the FC will have dual power also).
View attachment 19341

I am very interested in your thoughts on this, maybe someone has attempted before and can give me some input?
Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• POWER MODULE.jpg
    POWER MODULE.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 181

kloner

Aerial DP
you will have to since alot of large rigs can get well into 100 amps. we run a different brand on one of two battery and just double the info.... 50 amps is 100 amp, 5000 mah is really 10,000 but the voltage is still the same

I'm not sure how what you drew would work,,,,, my guess is it'll cheat numbers if power goes around it and may still get hot

usually that power spike you saw will reboot stuff like FC's, rc rx, etc and still crash ya even if it's got this kinda redundancy

but maybe even if it fails completely (the fc will still have bec) the electricity will still have a clear path? My last y6 crash was caused by 30 mins (3 batt) non stop and the attopilot got hot, the resistors melted off. Camera and gimbal, plus broken copter in a tree.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I do not use any kind of current measurement on any of my larger machines, for exactly this reason. Too much risk, for almost zero reward. I've never ever been flying and thought "Gee, I wish I knew how many amps I've been pulling."

I actually bought one of these a year ago. Zero risk with these. But I just haven't even got around to installing it yet.

http://ampsense.com/ZAP Series.pdf

dazzab

I do not use any kind of current measurement on any of my larger machines, for exactly this reason. Too much risk, for almost zero reward. I've never ever been flying and thought "Gee, I wish I knew how many amps I've been pulling."
I thought the idea of using an AttoPilot sensor was to keep track of the capacity of the battery? I was told that was more accurate than voltage readings. I used them successfully when I had APMs. If the OPs issue is that the AttoPilot melted then he probably should move up to the 180Amp AttoPilot. They say that they get hot normally but mine were just fine. Indeed my AttoPilots are still on my copters even though I don't use them with the Wookong and SuperX FCs.

I seriously doubt the circuit shown will provide any redundancy. If power shorts outs and surges it will go everywhere. BTW, there is a 3DR knockoff power module that will handle up to 6S batteries. I can't speak to the quality but have a search on Ebay if you are interested. I seem to recall that 3DR were going to release a beefier power module as well. So you may not need the AttoPilot at all.