another wkm/flamewheel build

plingboot

success! just had a first very quick flight with my wkm/flamewheel build.

when i first opened up the boxes, i thought a wkm in a flame wheel would be a crammed mess, but with a bit of thought it all fits 'mid deck' neatly, leaving a space at the front for a GoPro and room on the top for the Lipo.

I flashed the plush 18A's (see pic of my diy connector)

Gunter very kindly sent me one of his LED mounts - which is just the job and is probably the missing bit from the wkm kit.

it's cold here today and for some reason the two charged lipo packs don't like it (or are less charged than i thought) so i managed just seconds of flight - but enough to know that this set-up is the best 'out of the box' i've tried so far.

View attachment 1893View attachment 1894View attachment 1895View attachment 1896View attachment 1897

Attachments

• dji.jpg
    dji.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 271
  • plush_flash.jpg
    plush_flash.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 309
  • wkm_detail.jpg
    wkm_detail.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 264
  • wkm_motor.jpg
    wkm_motor.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 273
  • wkm.jpg
    wkm.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 266

Bowley

Nice rig.
does flashing the ESC's make a big difference, I was thinking of using plush ESC's on my F450/Naza due to low cost and plentiful availability within UK, but was'nt planning on flashing them. Kinda worried about messing up and not being able to revert to default. Does it increase the refresh rate? make a more stable or responsive machine?
Can I use them without flashing?

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Looking good. That LED holder seems to work well there!

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plingboot

@bowley, when i compared them on the bench, the flashed esc's seem to have more resolution from min to max throttle and 'seem' to be more smooth.

plush esc's are fine out of the box and don't need to be flashed. if you do plan to flash in the future the esc's have to be the ones with atmel chips and NOT SiLab chips. most of the low cost esc's now use Silab chips.

plingboot

how bloody brilliant?!

just flown three packs with the wkm/flamewheel and i bloody love it. all the ruddy drama and carry on associated with my other birds is nonexistent and i can just go out and worry about learning to fly.

those pancake motors are a hit too with the reflashed esc's - that high pitch whine has gone and she's almost silent.

fpv/naza build will start later this week.

just a pitty i forked out on the droidworx frame now.

plingboot

had chance to fly some more packs in an open space this afternoon.

just, great - flying nose out circles around myself and beginner stuff like that.

i think i need to adjust the gains a bit for a more locked feel.

did notice a few of things:

1. throttle resonse seems a bit dull and it's in no great hurry to gain altitude quickly
2. i noticed a few white led flashes after some brief 'athletic' manouvres
3. throttle responce seemed to become more and more dull/sluggish and towards the end of the lipo, but well before cut off voltage, i had the stick at full throttle, just to keep her hovering.
4. gps hold seems ok, but not 'locked' in one place
5. alti hold seems a bit off, hover is above mid stick and she seems to wander up and down an awful lot, definitely not what i'd call alti hold. the only time she seemed to hold hight was at about a metre off the ground and that was pretty 'locked'.

i'm sure i'll iron these minor niggles out, but if anyone had any thoughts do please chip in.

might post a clip in a while too, but nothing to get all excited about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
1. throttle resonse seems a bit dull and it's in no great hurry to gain altitude quickly
Flip in to manual..if you dare!

The rest you need to play around with... post up your settings or PM me and Ill take a look..

Been out all day today and got some amazing life footage including a Rhodesian Ridge back trying to eat a hexa 12 foot off the ground! a Westie doing backflips and a great little Border who was oblivious to my WKM quad feet away.. his stick was his whole life and his owner obliged me with throwing it over and over... Kids on Santa bikes, loads of people wanting to have a go and loads of guys sneaking away from her indoors asking how much?!!

Great Day... I know how you feel.. after 8 or 9 8 min flights I got out the ADX3 WKM and gave her a good old throw around.. got her set up a treat now and am as confident with that as the quad but carrying three times the weight..so the ADX3 was not waisted you can alway convert to WKM.

I also had the ADX3 HL MK out.. now thats a whole different kettle of fish.. steady as you go and she was rock solid carrying twice as much as the smaller ADX3 I just need to think of her as a heavy lift tank that will stay up for 15 mins and get the shots and down.. no fun there just job done.

Checked out the forecast so I guess you will be testing her out more in the winds for the next goodley few days..

Great to hear how you like your new build..

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: