Another TriCopter

A couple of development CopterControl boards dropped through my letterbox this morning.

CCboard.jpg

They are stabilization only, don't have a mag so not to good for hold, thats the preserve of the main project, the OpenPilot board.

However if your moving, ie in an aircraft you will be able to add a GPS and do some waypoint nav. But thats not what this forum is about.

So six channels for standard ESCs so it will fly a hexa and I2C if you need more.

I have already flown the OpenPilot board in a Tri, worked very well. The CC has yet to speak nicely to the GCS and my laptop yet though. OpenPilot is a small project that has come a long way in just over a year.

So looking forward to seeing how it goes!

Will be using this tri kit made by my mate Rob

scorpion%20complete%201.JPG

http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=172

Obviously I wont be needing the gyros.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Defies Psychics
Got a spare board? ;) Is it populated on both sides or just the top?

I just compiled the GCS the other day and started to figure out how to compile the firmware.

You guys at openpilot are doing it right. I can't wait to see the full board.

BTW, Welcome to the site. Stay a while. :)

Kirk

@ Droider I have flown those they are the dogs do dahs, its what just about all the Uni's use for development stuff. @Crash compiling the software and all the gubbins is beyond me as well. There will be a simple version soon but as there is not a great rush to make money we are getting it all right first. The CC should be out very soon and having flown it the mainboard and INS is great.

I think later this year the choice of boards will be huge, I know one gyro manufacturer is about to dip their toe into the market and Hobby King are going to be or are already selling their KKK version.

Moores law, when we started playing 1000 quid was the hobby entry point. They will be in cornflake packs soon!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Droider I have flown those they are the dogs do dahs

So you going to tell me / we what you do as you seem to have been around if you know what I mean! on I say "testicul de Chen!" Pardon my french spelling!

matwelli

Speaking on behalf of all of NEW ZEALAND, we need a sample board down here for assesment. it may not work, us being upside down and all.......

seriously, would love to get my hands on one to compare with the KKuk and FY90Q

Well I was flying that Tri in South Africa so I guess it works down south ;-) also its an Oz project!

Boards will be available very soon and for less than US$ 100 I think

http://www.openpilot.org

@Droider for a day job I fly hot air balloons and am getting into UAS more and more. I have been flying model aircraft well, forever certainly from when I was about 7 so around 10 or 12 years now.

matwelli

@gary - well i better chase the 'dingos' up to 'throw another shrimp on the barbie' and send one of these board 'over the ditch' for testing here
:)

Sorry Droider did'nt see your reply, yes I also fly in RSA but not often these days.

Managed to get the Tri flying today in some pretty challenging wind need to wait for a calmer day to trim it all out. Hard to know exactly whats happening when its gusting 15-20 knots.

Calmer weather coming so will have time to play and take some images.

We have been doing the dangerous thing and started thinking about new frames as well, quite fancy a Y6 now.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Now I think I have mine flying spot on I am getting more and more confident and my hands dont shake quite so much now when I am flying it. What frame are you looking at? As Matwell knows I am a DroidWorx supporter (fanatic) and love my ADX3 (Y6) to bits. Where you at then moment UK or RSA?

Ok so managed to fly it this morning.

Need to tune the stabilization but a promising start to the process,