Another CAA Conviction in the UK

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
There has to be some rules and the main point is to work out what is acceptable to all. Imagine driving on the roads if you weren't told what side of the road to drive on?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Indeed. I like the system we have now. It makes sense to have a license to do this, they are heavy pieces of equipment after all.

But a little reform is needed, things seem kind of awkward right now regarding getting extra permissions and the like. This is where the CAOSC will come in, to help define the new minimum safe distances of operation for those who really know their stuff, giving them the edge over their competitors in the scope of operating environments they can work in.

dazzab

If multi rotors are so dangerous then why not simply require them to be limited in the height and distance that they can travel? It's easy to do in software as DJI has already demonstrated. No hobbyist needs to fly autonomously or over 400 feet beyond line of sight. So limit the hobbyist by hardware/software and require them to fly at fields along with all the other RC models out there. Then license professionals in a sensible manner to give them the abilities they need to do commercial activities. I really don't see why this should be any more difficult or expensive than obtaining a driver's license. I'm fairly confident I can do a lot more damage with my car than with my SkyJib. There's no need for the FAA or CASA and getting them out of the loop will save the taxpayers a lot of grief and money.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
They are not that dangerous. There's been zero injuries in the UK. And the handful of other world wide incidents have only resulted in cuts and bruises.

You can limit them but thats not where the problem is as you can't limit them from people, and you can simply turn off the limits if you want. Limits wouldn't work for professional users as we sometimes need to operate outside those imposed limits, like near an airport.

In theory the CAA wanted a system the same as a driving license, you take a competency test and that's it. Unfortunately the training organisations were driven by profit and added a bunch of extra charges and conditions. This will be changing in the next month though.

Dave_EP

This case is a perfect example of what people getting a drone for christmas think is Ok to do and since they probably didn't get any information about the rules of the road(air) then do we blame them for not knowing? Having said that, they probably wouldn't read it any more than they read the manual < sigh >.

I've had three people in the last week telling me (as if I didn't already know) about all the drones at CES and of course that Amazon are about to start delivering by Drone too. Amazon got a lot of publicity over that, but they really didn't do the rest of us any favours. After all if Amazon can remotely deliver by drone then it must be OK to fly it for miles and totally out of sight, never mind over congested areas.

I don't see the government / CAA putting any real money in to safety information films any time soon.

Carapau

No but ARPAS will be doing so soon once the new website is up and some of these vids like basic safety will be visible by all, not just members. The CAA simply doesn't have the resource to do these videos so hopefully ARPAS can help here. There are a few other ideas we are mulling through at the moment that will help with educating the public this so watch this space!

Dave_EP

No but ARPAS will be doing so soon once the new website is up and some of these vids like basic safety will be visible by all, not just members.

Which reminds me - I need to pay my membership!

Also, I realise that just about all members will be film makers of some sort or other, but it there is any additional help needed in filming or post production let me know.

All I can say to this argument is, if the regulation of drones becomes like that of cars and firearms from the 1920s onwards, it'll be a nightmare for people to innovate and take the sport/hobby/life to the next level.

IF there is a death or major injuries involving drones this is what will probably happen.

Extra taxes (drone tax?), licenses to own and purchase, (probably expire every 3 years, pay more money to get another one), restricted areas (anywhere in the public, like how firearms were legislated in 1968), private property only. Possible restrictions on transfer and a registration system.

Carapau

Well the move in Europe is towards less rather than more legislation at the moment. Your are only likely to face more legislation if your operation starts to present more risk such as flying a heavy lifter in a built up area.

Carapau

True, but with a well written safety case you can do a lot with a heavy lifter- 10m from the public and in built up areas is the permission we currently have for example.

With Permission.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you are at the whims and gestures of a council / ruling body that decides things for you. How wonderful.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile in the time it takes you, if successful, to get the 'permission' you've probably lost the contract / job to a conventional method instead.

Client wants job doing:

Contractor A : Errr, hold on while I get permission and beg for authority to do it.

Contractor B : I can do it right now, no fussing and without using a Drone / Or just cuff it with a drone.

Guess which Contractor gets the job? I'll give you a clue, it's not Contractor A. ;)

Carapau

Just cuff it with a drone until you end up fined or sued for breaking the law. Question for you White Wonder, why do you drive on the left side of the road? If you cant get the fact that laws are required then you have proven beyond all doubt that you cannot operate with common sense. Which other rules do you break in life? Or are you on this forum to simply troll?