Another 2 questions regarding my F550

iceman17

Hi folks I am using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter and AR8000 receiver with my F550 and totally forgot that the radio came with the TM1000 telemetry module. I want to hook up the telemetry and use the included voltage sensor to monitor my pack in flight. Question is can I just solder the sensor ends to the bottom plate power pads on the 550 to get the proper voltage reading. I am using a 3 cell 5000 Mah lipo battery made by Traxxas and they have a Traxxas connector so I can use them in my RC trucks as well, I find the Deans connectors to small for my fingers to grasp. Next week I will be receiving an AeroXcraft F550 landing gear set along with their Gopro 2 axis gimbal for my Hero2. When I build and mount everything will I have to change the settings for my GPS Z setting, right now its at -10cm, with the gimbal and landing gear and camera combo it should change the CG quite a lot I would think. Looks like it might be difficult to try and find the CG with everything installed, how do you guys with Gimbals do this. Thanks in advance,.....................Mike

glacier51

Hey Mike:

Have the same setup as you. I ended up using a balance connector off the battery to supply the voltage to the TM1000, but soldering in should work fine.

Also, if you solder them in, you can also solder to any of the motor distribution pads as well. Might be a little closer for you and less wiring depending on where you mount the TM1000.

If you go with a connector, for the 3S, it's the 2 outer wires of the 4 on the connector, probably red and black in most cases.

Ron

iceman17

Hi Ron, that sounds like a great idea using the balance connector. I was just at the hobby store today, to bad I didn't read this sooner lol. I will have a look in my junk drawer and see if I have the supplies to make up the lead for this. Thanks for your help.............Mike
Hey Mike:

Have the same setup as you. I ended up using a balance connector off the battery to supply the voltage to the TM1000, but soldering in should work fine.

Also, if you solder them in, you can also solder to any of the motor distribution pads as well. Might be a little closer for you and less wiring depending on where you mount the TM1000.

If you go with a connector, for the 3S, it's the 2 outer wires of the 4 on the connector, probably red and black in most cases.

Ron

Me, personally, have chosen to stay away from using the balance port of the batteries. In an earlier design of my MR I was going to go that route, but then switched to soldering to the main battery connector pads, which was quite simple, BTW. My main reason for keeping the balance port free is because, as of last month, I have gone with using voltage alarms on all my copters, and those are best connected to the balance ports of the batteries to monitor each individual cell.

iceman17

I also ordered 4 black arms so I will be removing the top plate anyways to install them so I guess the battery pads it is. Do you think leaving my XYZ settings for the GPS as is will be ok, it will be tricky to find the CG with landing gear, gimbal and Gopro attached.
I soldered to the battery pads too. Very neat and easy. Go for it, less visible wires.

iceman17

I like that idea, thanks for the info. That's what I love about forums, there are so many good ideas from members it really helps us rookies.
Me, personally, have chosen to stay away from using the balance port of the batteries. In an earlier design of my MR I was going to go that route, but then switched to soldering to the main battery connector pads, which was quite simple, BTW. My main reason for keeping the balance port free is because, as of last month, I have gone with using voltage alarms on all my copters, and those are best connected to the balance ports of the batteries to monitor each individual cell.