Tau Labs Android Application

If you are using bluetooth or a pipx link with your CC3D I just updated the android application:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEsIm9yZy50YXVsYWJzLmFuZHJvaWRnY3MiXQ..

UchkwG7l.png

y3m5O2hl.jpg

vs5pg3F.png

JfjLKSN.png

I've been using this version a fair bit the last week and it's getting pretty stable and usable for changing settings and checking the quad status. Hope you find it useful!

No, I'm afraid not. Since I wanted to really support tablets well that involves a lot of the post 2.3 stuff :( I keep meaning to see if I can make a variant that supports 2.3 but I haven't made it a priority I'm afraid.

No problem! I've been using it pretty regularly for the last few weeks. It's readable enough in daylight on an Nexus 7 and it's useful for tweaking the tuning or checking the PFD to make sure the satellite signal is good enough for viewing.

I got a wifi adapter for my go-pro so maybe streaming that will be next ;-)

Kilby

So does this mean you are back in the OP dev team? I was just reading the other thread in here about all that.

Oh definitely not, the majority developers moved to Tau Labs where things are really rocking along. For now it's easy enough to keep the android application compatible with the OP-official releases since there is little to no development there. I posted here since it's relevant for OP-board users though.

Relevant for here we've also been working on a board for a gimbal stabilizer and brushless gimbal controller https://groups.google.com/d/msg/phoenixpilot/Yw-1yUFcoiE/O80P1omQKNMJ and am having really good success with the RusticWave gimbal.

Kilby

Oh definitely not, the majority developers moved to Tau Labs where things are really rocking along. For now it's easy enough to keep the android application compatible with the OP-official releases since there is little to no development there. I posted here since it's relevant for OP-board users though.

Relevant for here we've also been working on a board for a gimbal stabilizer and brushless gimbal controller https://groups.google.com/d/msg/phoenixpilot/Yw-1yUFcoiE/O80P1omQKNMJ and am having really good success with the RusticWave gimbal.

Ok, I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to keep an eye on Tau Labs, keep up the good work!

kloner

Aerial DP
that sounds like something we all need

is there an app for iphone and cc boards? is the bluetooth thing the same as one i'd have from my v-bars?

No, for iPhone you have to purchase a 500$ license to make it talk to other devices without rooting which is why I switched to Android (I got an iPhone on day 2 the first gen were out so it was quite ai switch).

kloner

Aerial DP
is kindle android?

is the bluetooth module like whay i'd have left over from mikado v-bar? it was some $10 generic bluetooth thing that let it talk to droidapps wirelessly

I think the kindle uses android behind the scenes but I'm not sure how easy it is to get access and install custom applications.

slowjett

Will this work on 2.35? I can not find it in the market. I would love the ability to tune while out without my laptop. Thanks Peabody, im glad you are still working on this stuff considering.

if you could PM me the APK that would be awesome ;)

Sorry, right now it requires 4.0.1 or higher. I keep meaning to try and reduce that or make a stripped down 2.3 version but it's a hard thing to prioritize.

We're all still working hard at taulabs: forums.taulabs.org which is where the developers all went. I just maintain backward compatibility with OP for the android GCS.

So I had fun testing a new Tau labs feature. Controlling the quad via the tablet/phone. This video demonstrates autonomous takeoff, landing, holding position, flying to tablet, flying to home, and path navigation:

it worked pretty well except for the fact it was too windy for the navigation mode to make progress up wind (the path velocity was set low to produce a smooth demo which backfired unfortunately).

For more information: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/phoenixpilot/KrptCLMYQO0/1d5NZdDAukUJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Great work, James! I didn't realize till this weekend that OP had got GPS working and allowing for this type of functionality. I'm going to have to dig into this some myself. I just switched my CC3D out in my FPV quad because I wanted to add GPS, but i hate the way it flies compared to the CC board. It's the difference between a Corvette and an Escalade. Both very nice, but totally different driving experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmuaAhO-mE&list=UUaT25BYqLWgAbnuZWJw9erg&index=1
Great work, James! I didn't realize till this weekend that OP had got GPS working and allowing for this type of functionality. I'm going to have to dig into this some myself. I just switched my CC3D out in my FPV quad because I wanted to add GPS, but i hate the way it flies compared to the CC board. It's the difference between a Corvette and an Escalade. Both very nice, but totally different driving experience.

Thanks! This is using the Tau Labs fork but I'd imagine they'll backport some of the functionality to OP at some point. I'm working with a test group to get PH and RTH working robustly on Quanton . Steffan has also ported Tau Labs over to VRBrain and seems to be having pretty good results with PH, RTH and even navigation.