AirStock - making money from Drone images/video

bandarra

Hello fellow Pilots!

I'm Andre, one of the founders of AirStock, the website that allows drone operators to upload their footage and for the rest of the world to buy it. Think of it as shutterstock or getty images, but made by drone operators for drone operators. One stop shop for awesome drone footage!

Turns out we attended a Startup Weekend event with the idea and we won! And as such we are entering the worldwide Global Startup Battle. If you like the idea please support us by voting on this link. (you can vote once per email address)

www.airstock.co/vote

Hopefully with the help from the comunity we can be in the top3 most voted ideas and win some seed investment as well as going to Google HQ to make this a reality.
Any suggestions and comments are very welcome!

Many thanks for your support!
Andre
AirStock Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Great idea! Heard about this on Twitter. Good luck with it. You've got my vote!

I just signed up for Pond5 which covers any stock video/photo but AirStock looks even better.

bandarra

Thank you so much for the support Benjamin! Also bear in mind the website has been created in 54hours only and is only a beta version yet but we are putting a new websiteupdate online tonight!

jes1111

A very serious request - please don't use the word "drone": it carries all the negative media hype that we're trying to dispel! Drones are things that drop bombs on people, what we use for aerial photography are multirotors, RC toy aircraft, RPA, UAV, UAS, etc.... call them anything you like except drones!

You say "footage" - are you only going to accept video? No stills??????

What will your commission model be?

bandarra

Jes, I feel very much like you about the word drones. However for the broader worlds words like octocopter or UAV are hard to pronunce and dont mean anything. If you have to explain it you've lost it really. So we are seeing that the connotation with the word "drone" is changing for the better. In my own business when talking to customers I even used to call them simply "flying cameras" but even that was ambiguous and people didnt have a clue what i was talking about. Please know that it is a real issue and at the moment there isnt a perfect solution yet, wouldnt it be great if we could call the fluffies or something? :)

Again when everything is up and running it will support both stills and moving pictures but i think we'll start with video only.

In terms of commissions we really want to empower the drone operators with a website made for this type of footage specifically and very very high quality shots so we plan on splitting it 50/50, no signup fee.

bandarra

We really value everyone's feedback and even more important at this stage, if people think it is a half decent idea please support us by voting! every vote counts!

we are in 20th place out of 235 at the moment. We go through to the next round if we make it to the top15!

www.airstock.co/vote

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's a great idea! Just voted. I was just in the process of putting together a media kit for Getty. This will give people purpose for those shots that dont have a home or for those that are able to be used again after the client receives them.

bandarra

Hello Everyone!

Want to thank you again for all your support and thought i would give you a post-holliday update.
With the help of many of you we managed to get enought votes to get to the top 15 of the competition out of 235 winning teams! However in the judging phase the judges decided we should be in the top3, which we obviously disagree! :)

But anyway, we didn't lose time and charged again. In fact all 3 of us quit our jobs and we are fully commited to making Airstoc (yes, new spelling) work!

I want to thank you all for your support once again. I'm certain that your support/ideas/input will be crucial for making this service succesful for everyone, specially drone operators.

We have now a roadmap of the work we need to do over the next 8 weeks both for the website and the business and to insure that we have enough fizz to make it through the first months we're looking at investment too.

What are your thoughts on crowfunding?

Thanks
Andre

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What are your thoughts on crowfunding?

Thanks
Andre

I have personally known several people/groups who have benefited from Kickstarter crowdfunding. It requires a certain amount of dedication and seriousness (which is seems that you have) to succeed, and I think this energy makes people feel more at ease about 'donating.'

Love the idea you have going - good luck to you.

Scott

bandarra

The first of a series of weekly update videos letting you know whats going in the world of Airstoc.

Highlights of our first week as Airstoc have been incorporating the company, designing a logo and making a start on the good old customer validation! Watch the video to know more and don't forget to subscribe to this channel.

www.airstoc.com
@airstoc
fb.com/airstoc

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Congratulations on getting all that stuff up and running. I noticed that the company name on the web site differs from the name on the video???

bandarra

Thanks. On the same side we've rebranded to "Airstoc" so we're still in the process of moving everything across to the new name :) in a few weeks everything should be clear

bandarra

This weeks update by Manu :) our resident spaniard and tech guru (he's the boss)