Afro or Turnigy Plush?

corradolvr

I've been looking at these ESC's and can't make a decision. I've never been a real HK fan, but the Afros have pretty good reviews. I'm also not opposed to other suggestions. I'm putting them on a 550. Gonna run Naza v2 and probably something similar to the stock motors. Reliability is my main concern.

Rotorblade

I am new to the MR hobby and RC world as of a month ago and have two sets of esc's 1: turnigy plush 25a and 2: turnigy plush 10a. Both sets were easily flashed with BLHeli firmware. I almost got the Afros but decided against cus the BEC didn't provide enough juice. I have had about 30 or so flights with in the last week on the 25a ESCs in a tricopter config running blue wonder motors and haven't had a single problem. I almost spent a ton of money on simonk flashed esc's. Granted the Afros arent to bad for price.

The blheli flashing software has a GUI and you can change MR spefic options where as the simonk I believe you're sort of stuck with whatever is in the firmware for settings and isn't as easily modifiable. I am not trying to say anything bad about simonk esc's, but I feel they are the OLD and the BLHeli firmware is in with the NEW. I was going to flash simonk onto my esc's when I realized that the turnigy plush came with a the Silab chip on it which wasnt simonk compatible.

My 10a Plush's I bummed up one of the motors and only had like 6 flights on the ESC's

Now with my limited experience until I find a great reason to drop $40 bucks on a similar ESC I will stick with the silk smooth easily flashable turnigy Plush's.

Hope this is a little informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

corradolvr

I'm leaning towards the Turnigy Plush. They get really good reviews and seem pretty flexible when it comes to programming. I also am interested in good build quality, obviously. There's nothing worse than getting something and realizing that it was slapped together. I was an electronics tech in a previous life and have seen some pretty scary stuff over the years. I think I'm gonna make a purchase today, so if I shouldn't go with the TP on a F550 anybody is welcome to let me know. I appreciate all the help thus far.