Aeroxcraft Aeroxcraft Brushless Gimbal for DJI Phantom

Aeroxcraft

Aeroxcraft Brushless GoPro Hero3 Gimbal for DJI Phantom

£219.90 (GBP) + shipping

Available direct from Aeroxcraft and from our resellers.
http://www.aeroxcraft.com

This Aeroxcraft Brushless Gimbal comes fully built, includes the motors and a pre-configured brushless controller. Just unbox, fasten to your Phantom, connect up the power lead and you are ready to go!

Phantom_brushless.jpg

This gimbal is specifically designed for the DJI Phantom. The gimbal fits within the confines of the Phantom landing gear, whilst ensuring a clear field of view and maintaining the Phantoms center of gravity. No modifications to your Phantom are required.

Included with this gimbal are top quality Silicone Gel Vibration Isolators. These keep the 'jello' inducing vibes in check, but also keep the gimbal secure and stable.

Includes:
* Fully assembled and tested gimbal.
* All CNC machined parts
* Quality hardware.
* Fixings to attach the gimbal to your Phantom
* Brushless Gimbal Motors
* Brushless Gimbal Controller
* Silicone Gel Vibration Isolators.
* Power cable
* Tilt Control Cable

Notes:
* Gimbal can be configured with the motor on either side of the GoPro to allow use of the GoPro USB port OR to have a lens position central with the roll axis.
* Gimbal configured for use with Phantom Power Extension cable. No need for any additional batteries or BEC.
* Gimbal weight including motors 190 grams.
* Gimbal weight inc. motors, phantom mount, controller: 216 grams.
* DJI Phantom and GoPro Camera NOT included!
* Camera housing is for the GoPro Hero 3 camera ONLY.
* Designed and Manufactured in the UK, exclusively by Aeroxcraft.

Phantom_brushless_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kallend

I have the version for the rail mount, which is, I believe, identical to the Phantom version except for the mounting.

I cannot make the tilt (pitch) function work sensibly. The knob on the Tx (Spektrum DB8)that I have assigned to tilt seems to control the rate of change of the tilt angle, rather than the tilt angle itself. It worked just fine on my previous servo driven gimbal.

The result of this is that the tilt stays put, wherever it happens to be, when the knob is centered. Move the knob off center either way, and the tilt drives to its extreme limit. The speed with which it moves depend on how far off center the knob it.

Any insights?

kallend

I have the version for the rail mount, which is, I believe, identical to the Phantom version except for the mounting.

I cannot make the tilt (pitch) function work sensibly. The knob on the Tx (Spektrum DB8)that I have assigned to tilt seems to control the rate of change of the tilt angle, rather than the tilt angle itself. It worked just fine on my previous servo driven gimbal.

The result of this is that the tilt stays put, wherever it happens to be, when the knob is centered. Move the knob off center either way, and the tilt drives to its extreme limit. The speed with which it moves depend on how far off center the knob it.

Any insights?

Follow up. Turns out the rail mount gimbal was shipped in "Incremental" rather than "Absolute" mode for tilt control. A simple mouse click in a check box fixed it. Gimbal now works perfectly.

The bad news: to get to the check box required hours of work locating and installing drivers for the board, the GUI, etc. and reading 17 pages of instructions.

The Phantom version of the gimbal ships with "Absolute" as its default mode so no tinkering required.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrashMaster

Well finally loaded it all onto my phantom but haven't flown it yet. It makes the whole machine 1.13Kg so will kill flight times but have a cunning plan to try my 3330mah lipos..... making it 1.25kg..... Is that going to be too heavy now?
Watch this space for flight testing soon.

View attachment 12858 View attachment 12859 View attachment 12860

Attachments

• IMAG0754.jpg
    IMAG0754.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 320
  • IMAG0755.jpg
    IMAG0755.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMAG0756.jpg
    IMAG0756.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 343

atpfilms

I am having trouble making the tilt function to work as well. Mine does nothing actually when assigned to a knob. In addition, the tilt was vibrating wildly straight out of the box. After installing firmware and GUI, my I setting had to be 0 and my D setting had to be 100 for it to be smooth at all - not normal. I'm afraid I'll have to buy a new controller board as FedEx wants $60 to send it back to the UK. Aaaarg.

CrashMaster

Are you using the DJI TX? If not you don't connect to the NAZA at all. The instructions make it look like you use the F2 on the NAZA but in fact you should connect directly to your RX channel so you can allocate that channel to your pot on the TX.

kallend

My gimbal is running 49B_r61 firmware with the default settings that came from Aeroxcraft.

My roll is not centered, it is off by about 2 degrees which makes all horizons tilt in the video.

I understand that later firmware versions have a roll offset adjustment that _r61 doesn't have. I also have heard (?) that the stability parameters are likely to be different if I update to a different firmware version.

Is anyone running a later firmware version? If so, what parameters are you using?

Aeroxcraft

My gimbal is running 49B_r61 firmware with the default settings that came from Aeroxcraft.

My roll is not centered, it is off by about 2 degrees which makes all horizons tilt in the video.

I understand that later firmware versions have a roll offset adjustment that _r61 doesn't have. I also have heard (?) that the stability parameters are likely to be different if I update to a different firmware version.

Is anyone running a later firmware version? If so, what parameters are you using?

Hi,

Your gimbal is one of the earlier ones. All the Phantom Gimbals have shipped with later firmware.

Contact us direct if you need any assistance. We can upgrade for you or provide you with the settings.

Thanks
Rob

(MD, Aeroxcraft Ltd)

atpfilms

Rob from Aeroxcraft contacted me and told me my problem was very unusual as they test each gimbal before it leaves. I've heard others confirm they are rock solid out of the box. Seems as if I just got unlucky. Anyhow, Rob is helping me get it sorted out. I do appreciate the service they've been providing me.

econfly

I have one of these (for the Phantom). Aeroxcraft's gimbal has worked perfectly and is well constructed with nice mounting setup, vibration control, iPower motors and Martinez controller. I followed the instructions on setting up tilt control and it works fine (linked it to the LD dial on my Futaba controller -- the key is slow adjustment). Flight time on stock batteries with the GoPro / gimbal attached is about 8 minutes.

atpfilms

Aeroxcraft sent me a new Martinez controller and everything is great now. Very pleased with their service and the gimbal is performing quite nicely I must say.

Boyers

I've replaced the stock Phantom TX/RX with Futaba T8J. Does anyone know how to connect tilt to this unit? I'm assuming it goes to the spare channel on RX rather than Naza?
Any help/advice much appreciated.

Boyers

I have one of these (for the Phantom). Aeroxcraft's gimbal has worked perfectly and is well constructed with nice mounting setup, vibration control, iPower motors and Martinez controller. I followed the instructions on setting up tilt control and it works fine (linked it to the LD dial on my Futaba controller -- the key is slow adjustment). Flight time on stock batteries with the GoPro / gimbal attached is about 8 minutes.

Interested! I have Aeroxcraft BG on my Phantom, but haven't yet set up pitch/roll. I have a Futaba T8J TX and its RX. Could you let me know how to install please?