A2 with external receiver

Mikeq

Is it possible to disable the internal receiver on the A2 and run a separate external receiver?

Anyone using an A2 in combination with a UHF system?

Thanks,

Mike

kloner

Aerial DP
you can but it seems from history to be the method to crash one....

i ran wookong for a year on ezuhf using ppm input, not sure but it seemed when it left me that there was some sort of incompatibility at times, saw a few disconnected sessions where it'd just quit responding normally and go into this linked not linked deal where the last input you made kinda stuck in the controller every few seconds. Luckily i got used to recognizing it coming, but it left me extremely un confident. Saw it in naza too, after that i went to sbus or pwm connections only...... It was ezuhf on a futaba radio..... i've seen it a few times, heres one i hit during r&d on my products.

naza with ezuhf and whatever this ppm problem it has happened from time to time. when this thing pitched at the begining there, i went to throttle off, all that bouncing around upside down running was in atti and no throttle.....

in a year and thousands of hours logged flying, seen it 4-5 times in dji products, it's left us scrambling for something more reliable. I will say though, using the internal rx and an 8fg hasn't shown any problems yet but i tend to shy away from it now i have an option with a superX rig

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Is it possible to disable the internal receiver on the A2 and run a separate external receiver?

Anyone using an A2 in combination with a UHF system?

Thanks,

Mike

There is an Sbus adaptor but it has issues... well I think it does still waiting for DJI to respond to my videos!

I tried it with Spektrum and it has a hippy fit and will not connect to A2 if its cold! and I dont mean really cold.

Dave

rilot

Yes, using a FAS-100 current sensor, a variometer and 2 x FLVSS voltage sensors.
There is an issue with the FLVSS and the Taranis at the moment where it incorrectly reads a cell as 0V randomly. Waiting for a fix for that. I may ditch them entirely though as the FAS-100 gives me the data I need.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
No isseus with FrSky X8R rx connected to A2 via S-Bus here.

forgive me for being clueless but, what brand radio does the FrSky receiver work with or is it its own radio system brand thingy?

rilot

The FrSky Taranis is the main radio designed for it but some use the X8R with the Turnigy 9xr.
Despite the price it's an excellent radio. 16 channels and extremely configurable. Loads of telemetry sensors available and a massive support community. I have had to put up with people looking down their noses at it because it's not Futaba or Spektrum but meh, it works well for me and I trust it enough to put £4k in the air with it.

I like the X8R as it's a 16 channel receiver that can run as S-Bus and PWM at the same time. I have channels 1 - 8 via S-Bus to the A2 and 9 to 16 as PWM so I can control my gimbal, video switch, servo zoom etc without tying up the output channels on the A2.

I used be a DX8 user but I figured I'd try the Taranis when it came out. After 20 minutes with it, the DX8 went on eBay.

gmcg

I also use a FrSky Taranis and X8R combination with a NAZA V1 on S-BUS and it just works as its suppose too

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The FrSky Taranis is the main radio designed for it but some use the X8R with the Turnigy 9xr.
Despite the price it's an excellent radio. 16 channels and extremely configurable. Loads of telemetry sensors available and a massive support community. I have had to put up with people looking down their noses at it because it's not Futaba or Spektrum but meh, it works well for me and I trust it enough to put £4k in the air with it.

I like the X8R as it's a 16 channel receiver that can run as S-Bus and PWM at the same time. I have channels 1 - 8 via S-Bus to the A2 and 9 to 16 as PWM so I can control my gimbal, video switch, servo zoom etc without tying up the output channels on the A2.

I used be a DX8 user but I figured I'd try the Taranis when it came out. After 20 minutes with it, the DX8 went on eBay.

if it works, who cares who makes it! where's the best place to get them? hobbyking?

Mikeq

you can but it seems from history to be the method to crash one....

i ran wookong for a year on ezuhf using ppm input, not sure but it seemed when it left me that there was some sort of incompatibility at times, saw a few disconnected sessions where it'd just quit responding normally and go into this linked not linked deal where the last input you made kinda stuck in the controller every few seconds. Luckily i got used to recognizing it coming, but it left me extremely un confident. Saw it in naza too, after that i went to sbus or pwm connections only...... It was ezuhf on a futaba radio..... i've seen it a few times, heres one i hit during r&d on my products.

naza with ezuhf and whatever this ppm problem it has happened from time to time. when this thing pitched at the begining there, i went to throttle off, all that bouncing around upside down running was in atti and no throttle.....

in a year and thousands of hours logged flying, seen it 4-5 times in dji products, it's left us scrambling for something more reliable. I will say though, using the internal rx and an 8fg hasn't shown any problems yet but i tend to shy away from it now i have an option with a superX rig

Thanks for the info Kloner. That was quite the spectacular crash.

kloner

Aerial DP
no problem, i was just a passenger that entire clip, at one point i started heading behind my truck when nothing was responding. The stuff is all a bunch of crap, hope somebody gets there act together and offers us a reliable system soon. People don't want these things bouncing in from time to time, it's not safe and it grows grey hairs

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
no problem, i was just a passenger that entire clip, at one point i started heading behind my truck when nothing was responding. The stuff is all a bunch of crap, hope somebody gets there act together and offers us a reliable system soon. People don't want these things bouncing in from time to time, it's not safe and it grows grey hairs

Did not think DJI recommends PPM for the A2...

Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
I have never tried the a2 with anything other than it's internal rx like we've been discussing for months now. All my problems are ppm and dji specific, in particular my problems was with your fall back woo kong and everybodys flyaway favorite, naza

When i got my a2 that the Aerial Media Pros site said they were only supporting 8fg, so that's what i used, and am still on. Mine was from the second batch to america when they first came out

azure

Has anyone been successfully using the A2 D-bus adapter for PWM with a UHF receiver? I'm considering A2 for the next build (WKM currently), but want to stay with EZUHF. I'd read elsewhere there was a fair amount of noise generated by the A2 in the 433 MHz band, but wasn't sure if this was only related somehow to PPM.