A new CC quad is born

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Part 1

Had some time to kill today so I decided to assemble a new mini quad with a Copter Control board. The build is based on Rustys mini quad frame, this one using 1/2 inch square aluminum tubing for arms.

Here's the pile of parts I started with ...

IMG_1751a.jpg

Start by assembling the arm blocks onto the base center plate...

IMG_1752a.jpg

Add the middle centerplate that will hold the CC board...

IMG_1754a.jpg

Now add a set of 4 1/2 inch long alloy arms and start tightening up the bolts...

IMG_1756a.jpg

Just about 12 inches end to end without the motor mounts, with mounts the center to center distance works out to around 13 inches...

IMG_1758a.jpg

The CC board installed. The centerplate comes pre-drilled for the most common size flight controllers and now also for the CC making it a simple install...

IMG_1759a.jpg

Add some motor mounts and motors and its starting to look like a quad...

IMG_1761a.jpg

Just as I was getting ready to start installing the used Turnigy ESCs, the postman delivered a package with some new Turnigy Plush 12 amp ESCs plus a couple packages of connectors, time to do some soldering...

IMG_1763a.jpg

All soldered up and ready for heatshrink...

IMG_1766a.jpg

Heatshrink done, now its time to start the final assembly...

IMG_1767a.jpg

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Part 2

Programming the new ESCs, everything is installed just a matter of taking care of the last few details...

IMG_1771a.jpg

Everything connected, time to hookup a battery and see which way the motors spin then make necessary adjustments...

IMG_1772a.jpg

Ready for its maiden flight. From start to this point took about 3 1/2 hours with a break in between for the wife and I to go out to dinner and stop at the grocery store on the way back. The sun was down by the time we got back and I finished up what needed to be done before it could fly, but fly it did finally out in the front yard by street light and the light on the front porch. Made telling which end was which a bit difficult but I managed to fly about 4 or 5 minutes without crashing, batteries are charging now for a trip to the field in the morning with the netbook to do final tweaking and setup...

IMG_1773a.jpg

The twins, originally this build was going to be identical to the one on the left, right down to the same flight controller and ESCs, with the only exception of this frame having square arms rather than the round 12 mm used on the other frame. The other differences now are the one on the left has a KK plus 5.5 flight controller and Turnigy Plush 18 amp ESCs, I use this one exclusively for aerobatics at the big field and occasionaly practice in the backyard. The one on the right has the smaller Turnigy Plush 12 amp ESCs and the CC flight controller. The main reason for the 18 amp ESCs on the KK quad is that I had them sitting in a box when I built it so I used them, these motors are fine with a 12 amp so why carry the extra weight when its not needed! Tomorrow I'll be flying them back to back to see how they compare...

IMG_1774a.jpg

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

juz

FPV pilot
I want one.

just buried my 330x frame for the last time (over it), but I want another small FPV quad. That frame looks perfect (and strong). Video soon BTW..it was a fun flight/crash..