A different view of an RC Heli flying

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
More video from Sunday at the flying field, this is our best pilot Eyal practicing his competition routine with a Trex 700. The video was a spur of the moment let's see if we can do this sort of thing, recorded using the Droidworx AD-6 and GoPro HD with Sunex lens, with the AD-6 in GPS position hold and vario altitude hold 3/4 of the way down the field.

I was watching the AD with one eye and the Trex with the other and trying my best to sort of keep the heli in view by just eyeballing it from the ground, all things considered it worked out fairly well for an unplanned video shoot. Next time I'll have the video downlink running and watch from the GoPro view as well as being all the way down at the end of the field so I can capture all of the flying.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Very nice work. Is that a photohigher mount?

Cheers
Tim

No, this video was done with a Droidworx AD-6 H/L using an Avertical View 2 axis mount. The Photohigher mount is on the backup stock MK Hexa, thats what I used in the other video I posted from this past Sunday "A day out flying with the Hexa's".

IMG_1501a.jpg

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

CopterCam

Ken,

Great stability and subject tracking.............. is this your Sunex GoPro ? What is the source video like for clarity as it looks somewhat hazy, particularly at higher altitude. Perhaps its the YT factor at work ?

Sid

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken,

Great stability and subject tracking.............. is this your Sunex GoPro ? What is the source video like for clarity as it looks somewhat hazy, particularly at higher altitude. Perhaps its the YT factor at work ?

Sid

Yes, this was the GoPro with Sunex lens. It was a bad day for exposure, foggy early in the morning with solid cloud layer after the fog burned off then progressing to scattered clouds with bits of blue sky showing through the haze afterward. The hazyness was mostly due to very high humidity on that day, I was dripping sweat just standing there and it wasn't that hot, maybe in low 80 degree range at the peak of the day.

The original does look better than the Youtube version but its still hazy. On the very first flight I made early in the day the exposure is so bad I can't use any of the video from it. I tried to clean it up but the degree of adjustment needed to give it clarity makes it jumpy and pixelated so I gave up and filed it in the bit bucket, wasn't anything but a warmup flight anyway!

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
nice video Ken. Have you done any modifications to the mount or is it stock?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
nice video Ken. Have you done any modifications to the mount or is it stock?

Modified from the "as delivered" kit. Nothing radical, just durability and performance enhancements like full bearings on both camera platform axles instead of just on the drive side, swapped the servos for higher torque with tighter geartrain, machined Delrin servo mounting blocks for the roll servo and added a couple more pieces of Delrin for mounting points.

Ken

CopterCam

Yes, this was the GoPro with Sunex lens. It was a bad day for exposure, foggy early in the morning with solid cloud layer after the fog burned off then progressing to scattered clouds with bits of blue sky showing through the haze afterward. The hazyness was mostly due to very high humidity on that day, I was dripping sweat just standing there and it wasn't that hot, maybe in low 80 degree range at the peak of the day.

The original does look better than the Youtube version but its still hazy. On the very first flight I made early in the day the exposure is so bad I can't use any of the video from it. I tried to clean it up but the degree of adjustment needed to give it clarity makes it jumpy and pixelated so I gave up and filed it in the bit bucket, wasn't anything but a warmup flight anyway!

Ken

aah!.................... I see (through the haze):) Those climatic flying conditions are foreign to me on this side of the pond. Our hazards are: wind, rain and cloud cover.

Nice one though ............. given the conditions.

Sid