A couple of easy questions please!

Christrom

Hi everyone, I just have a couple of questions which I'm sure most of you will know.

I'm just starting off in this hobby, having previously flown fixed pitch helicopters and I'm thinking about building a quad.

So here are the main things -

STABILITY!

I've got a little Hubsan x4 and it flies beautifully, almost like a coaxial helicopter, in that when you release the sticks the quad will centre itself. I've also seen that larger quads, especially when used for camera mounts which have various settings to control stability.

If I were to build a quad using the typical control units found on the hobby websites, would these have stability systems built in? - I heard from someone that these quads are more like Collective Pitch helicopters to fly? To be honest, if I build one I would like some degree of stability, similar to the Hubsan if possible.

Also, for those craft that have different flight modes, how do you change modes? - Through the transmitter? I would assume that you would need more channels to send the information?

Lastly, will any decent transmitter and receiver do for the build? I have a Walkera V120D01. It is a 4 channel helicopter. Could I rip out the receiver and use this? - Also my transmitter for it (WK-2403) has 4 channels and a switch for controlling servo throw - do you think this could be utilised in some way?

Sorry to bombard you, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!

SoCal Blur

Most Flight Control units have some type of auto level or "Angle" flight mode. But you will need more than four channels if you want to use it. You need 4 channels just to fly it in manual mode. then you need additional channels to select the various flight modes. Now some FCs may come with Auto level already engaged or on open source boards you can probably program it that way, but typically you'll need more than 4 channels. I'm not familiar with all of the different boards out there so others can chime in.

jbrumberg

Welcome Christrom.

You would be best served to get at least a 9 channel programmable transmitter that you can grow into.

You need adjust it by yourself.
For Hubsan X4, everything was adjusted before it sold out. So you just follow the manual and more exercise, you'll master it.