5DM2 Lens Suggestions

RBlax

5DM2 Aerial Lens Suggestions

Currently I shoot with the Canon 5DM2 and curious if anyone would recommend the 17mm TS. I've got a 14mm that I use in real estate for interior work, but I think it is too wide for outdoors in most cases. I'd love to grab a 16-35mm but wondering if maybe the TS would be better. Being that there isn't zoom function on the TS, would it be possible to hold focus better?

Also, if you have a recommendation that is more practical than a DSLR feel free to post.

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

I can certainly recommend the 17TSE for real estate work - it's what I use all the time (on a 1Ds) and it rocks! Negligible distortion, super-sharp, etc. but, most of all, a great improvement to viewpoints (mostly using it to get "more floor, less ceiling"). I rarely have used the tilt facility - not much is ever out of focus anyway at 17mm! But I use shift (in some direction) on 99% of shots.

It is, of course, a manual focus lens - and the focus ring is very smooth but very easy to move - so for flying you'd definitely need to tape it down. Also, the bulbous front element picks up flare if the sun's anywhere in front of you. I use a rectangle of plastic (about the size of a sheet of A4/letter paper) as a lens shade (with camera always on a tripod). That would be more difficult for aerial work!

Although I do intend to fly my 17TSE one day, I do not expect it to be my "goto" lens - that will be either a 16-35 or (cheaper) the 17-40. I'd also like to use a 24-105 (which will seriously test the stability/vibration).

Intended use photo or video?

17 is much too wide IMO for an everyday video lens, 16-35 would be a much better choice. I like to run the 28mm prime as well since it is lighter and produces a fantastic sun flare. The 25-105 is great as well with the IS helping to smooth out the little bumps if your platform is smooth enough. Bear in mind these are all seriously heavy lenses for the average multi, for my day to day shooting I usually stick with my GH2 and am really happy with the results. A lot more soothing to fly then the bigger cameras / glass

RBlax

I shoot both video and photo. Mostly real estate, landscape, and soon will be starting up a portrait studio.

I've seen a TS in flight and it was pretty awesome. It's a 24TS, but leaves me to wonder what a 17mm would look like. http://www.vimeo.com/11656622

Yeah I've been wanting to buy that 17TS really bad, but that 16-35 probably equally as bad. I will be getting both but since I just bought a lot of studio lighting and crap I'm going to have to hold off a bit and buy in sequence. I believe I'll grab the 16-35 first then hit up the 17TS. I'm going along the lines of usability. I think there are more applications to use the 16-35 than there are the 17TS. I know both lenses are essential to my work and can't wait to get my hands on them. I honestly wish I would have waited on the 14mm and grabbed the 16-35 first in sequence. However, the 14mm is a beast as well... Super-wide and maintains pretty awesome verticals.

Regarding the lens flare issue, I honestly hadn't thought about that and glad you brought it up. Glad I posted.

RBlax

Here's the 14mm in action
http://vimeo.com/28036340

I have a lot of noticeable vibration and need to work on minimizing that.

My SmallHD DP4 comes in Wednesday and I hope to put it to work. Today I was flying with the sun at a miserable noon - twoish position and flying overhead was hard to see it. Learning learning learning.

Last edited by a moderator: