48 Hour Film Project

Kilby

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share an offer that was recently extended to me and ask some advise. I have a good friend that has assembled a team to work on a contest in Washington DC. It's called the 48 Hour Film Contest. The short description is that they take teams of film makers around DC and give them 48 hours to make a short film on a topic that they draw from a hat at the beginning of the 48hrs. It's a very "fly by the seat of your pants" type of event. They give each team a topic, an item that has be included in the film and 1 line of copy that has be used. Those are the main rules, you just have to include everything they ask for.

They have asked me to join the team in hopes that we might be able to use the tricopter to get some supporting aerial footage. I know that the contest provides the teams with some level of permits to shoot around DC, but I'm wondering what I might want to watch out for. Obviously, I won't try to do anything stupid like taking 100foot aerial shots at the mall, but I'm sure there will be something that I could do for the team that won't get us in much trouble. ;-)

What would you do in this position, and what do you think I should keep an eye out for?

http://www.48hourfilm.com/dc/

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the FAA takes issue with people that are flying for money although they seem more concerned with FPV for-profit operators. even so, i probably wouldn't accept compensation and you should maybe go introduce yourself to a local FAA office to let them know what you do. The airspace in and around DC is highly restricted.
i'm not sure what your options might be other than the DC police maybe. If the multi gets away from you you could be in deep doo-doo.
bart

Kilby

It looks like we will be more in the suburbs of DC doing just some minor LOS shots. Nothing crazy at all, if anything. Since we don't know what the topic of the film will be till we get started, there may not even be any aerial shots. It could be something that is shot 100% indoors, but I'll find out tomorrow.

This is not a commercial gig, so no big deal there, it's just for the fun and competition. Good idea about the FAA office. I'm going to look up some info tomorrow.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Kilby,
Don't go to the FAA until you know for sure what the gig is. If you don't have to go to them, don't.
Bart