450 size x8. building, sharing, learning.

Well as i continue to search for others who have done this, I'm plodding on. Going through battery, motor and prop configurations it seems like the 12" props are what will work. That's with 20% extra added to the column for the craft weight just to be safe. The 11" props give me a warning of motor failure even with just 10% of extra margin.

Can anyone tell me if using 12" props will be a problem? If so, I can use 11" but will have to greatly reduce the mah of the battery and therefore shorten the flight times allot.

I'll attach a screen shot from the ecalc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.05.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 5.05.02 pm.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 182

Actually what I can do is go for longer arms to make it a 550 size, then there is lots of room between each prop, thats if the 12" props are a problem.

Anyone have any idea if thats too much strain on that little centre board?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
my opinion is that if you want a small x-8 then you should stick to making a small X-8. what you are talking about doing is not really optimum for the parts you're talking about.

to do a small X-8 you might want to consider the Tiger MT 2212 motors and 10" props...with a single 6000mah lipo it'll carry a gimbal and still be small enough to tuck it away. when you start looking at larger motors, modding the flamewheel frame doesn't make that much sense and it won't be small anymore. there are foldable options in the slightly larger sizes.

my opinion is that if you want a small x-8 then you should stick to making a small X-8. what you are talking about doing is not really optimum for the parts you're talking about.

to do a small X-8 you might want to consider the Tiger MT 2212 motors and 10" props...with a single 6000mah lipo it'll carry a gimbal and still be small enough to tuck it away. when you start looking at larger motors, modding the flamewheel frame doesn't make that much sense and it won't be small anymore. there are foldable options in the slightly larger sizes.
I hear you Bart and trying all sorts of combinations. I'm likely getting carried away with this dampening thing. Basically the video results I am getting from the s900 are perfect so I am trying to replicate that damping system. This means 160 grams extra for 8 dampers for each motor, and then another 200 grams extra for replicating the s900 floating gimbal/battery section. I also want retracts so can make full use of the 360 degree gimbal panning. Retracts add another 320 grams. So its getting up there.

I know its a lot of weight to put onto a small craft but I really want it to be small. If I had to have slightly longer arms to swing larger props, then I'll do it. The ecalc results I posted were the smallest motors I could use that didn't show failure when lifting all of that. In bali its hot and humid too, so that needs to be added in there.

Maybe I'm totally barking up the wrong tree. Maybe I'm asking too much for a small platform. But thats what I'm here for and finding it so helpful so far.

I should have given all that info on the first post but didn't want to make it too long, sorry. What are your thoughts now? :)