360 Degree Pan BAM Series Aircraft and Gimbals

Jeffem62

Announcing: New Multi-Rotors and Gimbals Offering Superior AP / AV Performance with 360 Pan Control

Back in May of 2012, I branched out to expand my photography business here in El Paso to include Aerial Photography and Video services. After a lot of reading I decided to start small and purchased a DJI 450 for training and a DJI 550 with the AG550 Version 1 gimbal for my first multi rotor to start offering the service. I quickly learned that the DJI 550 in the stock form was not strong enough to last more than about 4 minutes of sustained flight when trying to pick up the gimbal, my Sony NEX 5N and FPV gear. I also relieved that the Gimbal was good for photography work but not so good for video. (I believe the new version is much better). The constant shaking and vibrations were a combination of the NAZA, the gimbal, and the week DJI frame.

After months of frustration and many visits to the local hobby shop I was told about Luis who builds Multi Rotors here in El Paso. Just so happened Luis, owner of www.myrcbuild.com lived less than two miles from my house. Luis has years of experience designing and manufacturing multi-rotor aircraft using state-of-the-art CNC machinery. An engineer by trade and avid RC pilot, Luis quickly saw my dilemma and set out to design two multi rotor frames and gimbals specific for AP and AV work.

Things we wanted immediately to accomplish:
• Two aircraft specific. One for AP work, the other for AP and AV work.
• Stop the vibrations
• Stop the shaking of the gimbal (We called it the Diving Board Effect)
• 360 degree pan control (Operated by an independent Camera Man)
• Longer flight time

Months of testing with new materials and gimbal design have resulted in the best AP and AV Platforms currently on the market at this price point.

We now have two multi-rotors.
BAM-590
BAM-650

Our multi-rotors are designed from the ground up for AP and AV work. Emphasis has been placed on controlling motor and prop vibration and gimbal shake which results in clean clear photographs and video. The BAM series multi-rotors are manufactured using 2 and 3 ply bamboo and G-10 material with Carbon Fiber bracing. This has resulted in a superior platform that delivers amazing performance with minimal vibration. Another plus is weight savings. Bamboo is strong and light which results in longer flight times.

We have two multi-rotors available. The BAM-590 and the BAM-650. Currently the BAM-590 is utilizing the new Bamboo arms with carbon fiber bracing. The BAM-650 is utilizing aluminum arms as pictured on the web site however we are currently manufacturing the new bamboo arms now. Bamboo has proven to us the material to use for several reasons. Bamboo offers superior strength, light weight, and its vibration dampening properties are outstanding.

We now have two 360 degree pan controlled gimbals.
BAM-AG (Active Gimbal using our Multi-Purpose Bracing System) – Our AP and AV Gimbal
BAM-ODG (Oil Dampening Gimbal) – Our AP Gimbal

Our gimbals are designed using Oil Dampening and / or our Multi-Purpose Bracing system which results in shake / vibration free photography and video. Both gimbal designs have three axis stability control. That also includes 360 degree manual pan control. Yawing the aircraft is not the way to get quality video. The aircraft tends to ascend or descend during this action and the camera man cannot control the action. By putting 360 degree pan control in the hands of the camera man, the pilot can focus on flying.
Both gimbals come assembled with landing gear.

The BAM-ODG is the perfect choice for Aerial Photography using a Go-Pro or Sony NEX 5N set up. No need to rely on an expensive electronic gimbal control with servos. All stabilization is accomplished through the Oil Dampened Gimbal. This is the perfect choice for the AP on a budget. In addition, every unit includes manual 100 degree pitch control and 360 degree pan control.

The BAM-AG (Multi-Purpose Bracing Gimbal – MPB)
Full servo control using NAZA, Wookong, or Hoverfly gimbal board with our exclusive Multi-Purpose Bracing System which eliminates all bounce and shake during flight. This is the perfect choice for full AP and AV work using Go Pro, Sony NEX, or other cameras in the Medium weight range. Comes stock with 360 degree pan feature for true camera control that nobody can match in this price point.

Please visit www.myrcbuild.com a trusted vendor based here in the United States for pricing and more information. Under categories look for AV-Copters and AP-Copters. All multi-rotor aircraft and gimbals are manufactured, assembled, and shipped from the United States. International shipping is also available.

I will be posting pictures and video soon of the results we are achieving.

Jeffem62

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-feedu&v=3l9EhvjYMow

See video below of the BAM-AG in action. It is mounted to our BAM-650 Hex Frame using Avroto 2814 11s motors, 11x5 Graupners, twin 4s 5000 Nano-Tech Lipos, Naza GPS, Hoverfly Gimbal Board, and FPV equipment. Very stable platform with outstanding flight times. This frame is currently using aluminum arms, however we will be cutting new bamboo arms with carbon fiber bracing soon.

This video was taken on Saturday December 1, 2012. We were contracted to provide all the aerial video for a driver training film. I put together a few clips from one ten minute flight which shows the flexibility of this system. We actually did about 25 flights that day with both the BAM-590 and BAM-650. If I can give any advise when working with a film crew. Be ready for A LOT of takes. That means a platform that gives good flight times, lots of batteries, and a charging station. At the beginning of the video you will see they are using an IPAD to log in the videos. Most of the time they were using two go pros on the cars, one camera on the ground, and us in the air. That all adds up to an editing nightmare. Better them than me...

ALL VIDEO IS RAW

We will have pictures of the BAM-AG system up a little later today or tomorrow.