2kg. 4.4 lbs craft with lumix LX100 possible?

Pumpkinguy

The camera, battery and sd card is 393 grams. Do you think it's possible to make a craft with gimbal and 12-15 minute flight time at or under 2kg?

Uav laws in Canada are changing and there is no permit required for commercial use if craft is under this weight limit. As it stands now it takes up to 20 business days to get a Special flight operations certificate.

Thanks.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, it's practically impossible.

I think I can do with a helicopter, but probably not a quad. I currently have a Heli, which weighs 1213g "dry" with no camera or battery. I can get a 4S5000 Multistar battery, and an S100 camera on a fixed mount in under 2kg, but it's tight.

However, there's another helicopter available I'd like to play with, a KDS Chase 360. It can be stretched to the same size as my Protos 500. Weight is about 800g "dry".

I have a Tarot 650 quad, which is similar in size to these helis, and it's 1360g "dry". Smaller than that, and it would be hard to lift a camera that heavy.

I'm hoping that the 2-25kg class that they have hinted at may still be easy enough to operate under. In fact, I wish there was a 2-5kg class. 5kg gives much more capability, and is still fairly safe compared to a 24kg UAV.

iscorama

I would stay away from LX100 for multirotor use. Can't have hdmi monitoring while shooting 4K, no auto iso...

Pumpkinguy

It's very interesting about the < 25kg class. I read one line on the TC website that said you need a SFOC if over 25kg. Must be a typo. I did a screen shot of it but I don't have access right now. It will be interesting for sure.
Yeah, it's practically impossible.

I think I can do with a helicopter, but probably not a quad. I currently have a Heli, which weighs 1213g "dry" with no camera or battery. I can get a 4S5000 Multistar battery, and an S100 camera on a fixed mount in under 2kg, but it's tight.

However, there's another helicopter available I'd like to play with, a KDS Chase 360. It can be stretched to the same size as my Protos 500. Weight is about 800g "dry".

I have a Tarot 650 quad, which is similar in size to these helis, and it's 1360g "dry". Smaller than that, and it would be hard to lift a camera that heavy.

I'm hoping that the 2-25kg class that they have hinted at may still be easy enough to operate under. In fact, I wish there was a 2-5kg class. 5kg gives much more capability, and is still fairly safe compared to a 24kg UAV.