2 stupid? questions

cootertwo

Hi all, don't beat me, just sittin around, pondering the universe so to speak.

1. I think just about any video TX or RX comes with a "dipole" antenna, which everybody says are worthless. I know I have a whole fist full. So then why are most all our radios either have a "dipole" or no exposed antenna at all ???

2. When this multirotor craze started for me, most everything was powered by 3 cell packs. My first, an AR Drone, 2 Phantoms, then really got into with a "Flip" from witespyquad, (which I still love) and all through the 250's, FPV, goggles, monitors, etc. etc. "However" most FPV cameras now-a-days are 12 volt, and some will ***** when the voltage drops below 12. Soooo, I'm thinking I should have been investing in 4 cell packs all this time. 4 cell through a regulator providing a stable 12 volts would be much better than a "step-up" regulator, in my opinion. And now that my thumbs are a little more nimble than when I started, 4 cells are a lot more fun!

Comments? posted in the wrong place? OK, I'll go stand in the corner now.....:)

Rotorfreek

On the radio front there are two reasons...

Firstly video gear uses a fixed frequency. Theat means a reflected or out of phase signal will get into the reciever and damage the signal quality. Most control radios are of the FHSS type (frequently hopping spread spectrum). This means they constantly change the exact frequency or channel they run on, and the signal includes a 'check sum' so it will only ever accept an undamaged signal.

Secondly most good controllers and reciever use diversity as standard (considered flash in Fpv). If you take apart a new Futaba radio you will find two tx antenna set at 45 degrees, and then you have two reciever antenna which you set 90 degrees apart. The result is one of them always have a good signal even in banking, so linear polarisation is fine there also.

On the voltage front, anything 12v rated that has issue above 10v is junk and needs binning. 4s is more powerful though!

Sent by my thumb, a trusty slave to my crazy mind. The above is the ramblings of a lunatic, and should be treated as such. Terms and conditions apply.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
cootertwo, also with the video i believe there is a lot more information being transferred so the antennae making up the connection becomes more critical.

a lot of the stuff you're talking about was 5V way back when, no?

cootertwo

Thanks Guys, was just some idle thoughts. I'm lazy and old, so I prefer Naza's for just poo pooing around my yard. I turn off the voltage warning on my Naza's, and I need to get a splitter for my balance connector so I can plug in a regulator and my warning buzzer. And yes, I do occasionally pull a 3 cell pack far below recommendations, to the point of causing video problems. "Old timers" sometimes keeps me from pushing the timer button on my radio.