1100mm hex build. Hexacrafter, T-Motor, A2. Oh my.

Pumpkinguy

Here is a build log for my new hex. I will start off by saying the frame from Andrew @ Hexacrafter is top notch just like his service. The arms are basically hockey stick shaped CF tubes. The main plates including the esc mounting plate and motor mounts are all 3mm glossy cf. Everything was thought of. The kit comes with lots of extra stuff including power distribution.

Ok. Enough of my bs. Here are the specs.

1100mm hexacrafter hex.
Hexacrafter small electronics isolation plate and large battery mounts.
Kde 4215-465 motors with kde 75amp esc's.
A2 with new pro plus puck.
Batteries: 2 x 6s12000 in parallel. tattu
Futaba 14sg
Gimbal radio: tba
Gimbal: gremsy
Video transmission: tba
Fpv: immersionrc 600mw vtx + fatshark 600tvl

Here is the assembled frame. Yellow heat shrinked arms will be the rear of the aircraft.
View attachment 23586
Here is a pic of my lights. Red for front, blue for back. They will be on a reciever controlled switch. View attachment 23587
A shot of the A2 imu on the isolation mount
View attachment 23588

A shot of my battery mounts. Just 3/32" lexan sanded to a frost look. I learned on my last build that no matter how tight the Velcro straps are the batteries can slide.
View attachment 23589
And a pic of the motor mounts. It's hard to tell by the pics but both the top and bottom plate are 3mm. These are rock solid.
View attachment 23590
Tanks for looking guys. Once my esc's arrive I will post some pics of the hexacrafter power distribution. It's sweeeeeet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 633
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 631
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 598
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 653

Mrtarango32

Don't like using Velcro strips on the bottom of batteries and on the craft? Then a Velcro strap to snug them down?
Nice build. Can't wait to see it

Do you have a link for those self-tightening adapters? Are they good quality? I've been looking for something like that for my heavy lifter, but I'm worried about how they would effect balance, and god forbid even a marginal chance of slipping off in flight... especially since I'm flying coaxial?

Cool thanks I'll check them out - have you ever tried with coaxial? I'm mostly worried about a situation where heavy thrust from a top prop manages to unscrew the prop below it...

What prop sizes can you fit on this hex?

Pumpkinguy

Buddy if you tighten those props by hand you will need to grasp the motor with pliers to get them off.
I know a guy that uses the same ones on a large coax. 18" max prop

Pumpkinguy

Btw. I have them on wrong in the picture. They were already installed on the motors and I didn't take note of direction when mounting motors. Motor #1 spins ccw. It needs a titanimum adapter. Odd number titanium, even number gold. (Cw)

jfro

Aerial Fun
Which gremsy gimbal. the new gStabi H6?
If this is the one, are you getting just the aerial or the hand held & arial? I've been looking for prices on the aerial only, so curious as to what it costs....

Pumpkinguy

They are gonna release the H6 ecofly package March 16th from what I'm told. I and still undecided if I will get the h14 or H6

jfro

Aerial Fun
I was thinking it might be more of a difference. I thought I saw $1000 off on the aerial version of their larger unit vs the handheld. Be interesting to see how it works for you.

Pumpkinguy

Ya. $1000 off $4000 when they remove a much more complicated stand and more accessories from the package. They are not gonna knock off more than a couple hundred on the H6.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hexacrafter frames are awesome. I've been flying my HC-800 with an A2 a lot lately. And last week I flew it in a fracking snowstorm in -5 deg weather in the dark in 15 mph winds with heavy snow conditions... and it flew great as usual!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Ya. $1000 off $4000 when they remove a much more complicated stand and more accessories from the package. They are not gonna knock off more than a couple hundred on the H6.

Always get the handheld stuff... you would be surprised how much you end up using a good gimbal handheld.... It's worth it to get it all.

Pumpkinguy

Always get the handheld stuff... you would be surprised how much you end up using a good gimbal handheld.... It's worth it to get it all.

If I go the H6 route I likely will. If I go with H14 I won't. That $1000 can be better spent here. I have no intention of becoming a photographer. My camera operator worries about that stuff.

binlagin

What a beast!

I imagine you have a dedicated vehicle to transport such a monster?

Look forward to seeing more details!

Pumpkinguy

These frames fold but 1100mm fits in the back of my SUV fully assembled no problem. 1100mm is only around 44". I think I'm around 50" inside the truck.