1 Naza Fail Safe - 2 Intelligent Orientation - 3 toilet bowling

My DJI worked fine when I first set it up.

1.) Now however, with no stick input, in GPS mode, it revolves around a 12-15' circle when it should be relatively stationary.
What do I need to tweak to minimize this? Could it be a center of gravity problem?

2.) When I switch my DX8 radio to fail-safe, the craft returns to home OK.
I want to know, is there a way to turn off "fail-safe" "Return to home" so that the craft can be manually landed or returned to GPS mode without landing first?
When I flipped the switch back to GPS, the craft continues to RTH.

3.) I currently do not have Intelligent Orientation Control turned on in my Naza set up.
It seems I should, in case I loose orientation when the craft is in the distance. Any tips for setting up this feature?

Thank you in advance for any help and tips.

glacier51

Hey Jim:

1. A couple of things here. Check your magnetic declination for your area - meaning your GPS module will probably be oriented just slightly left of straight for MA. Second part is do a compass calibration. Check the NAZA manual for this.

2. I can't recall if it's in the manual, but if you have switch triggered a RTH failsafe, to re-gain control, you set your failsafe switch back to "normal" and cycle your flight mode switch from GPS to Manual and back to GPS, then you have control.

3. IOC will need to go on a switch. I have mine setup on the FLAP switch with COURSE and HOME LOCK features available. I also have a DX8.

If you would like to see my setup for the DX8 and NAZA-GPS, including wiring diagrams, etc., drop me a PM and I'll email you the file.

Ron

Thank very much for your help Ron. I'll try the RTH cancel soon. I'm not sure what course and home lock do at this point. In the manual, a lot was lost in translation.

I've done the compass calibration a couple of times but it was a while back. It seems a bit hard to understand why compass issues could cause the circling (toilet bowl effect) at hover.

Last edited by a moderator:

glacier51

Jim:

I think you will like IOC Home Lock especially if you're flying line of sight. While in GPS mode, "Oops, don't know which way you're pointed", add a little throttle to climb(just in case.....), flip into IOC Home Lock and pull the cyclic aft toward you. F550 comes back to you regardless of which way the nose is pointing. It comes overhead, you flip out of IOC HL and continue to fly. It's a great "newbie" feature.

Another thing "discovered" about IOC HL is that if you fly out beyond about 20 meters or so, to get out of the "home" zone, by applying left or right cyclic the F550 will fly an arc around you.

I don't think it's great for this because say you wanted to do a 360 around you home point and take video/still images. NAZA doesn't orient the nose toward "home" as it flies your hexa around the arc so you continually have to bump the yaw to keep the nose into the center of the circle.

Anyway, if you want to share your switch setup, we can go through the setup.

Ron

quad flyer

You might want to re-check the X, Y, Z values for the GPS antenna position, especially the + or - value.

I hope this helps