1.3ghz Setup

DontPeek

Hey guys I have been researching quadcopters, specifically small racing style quadcopters, for a the past few weeks. I have a pretty good handle on most of the things at this point, but the one thing I am having a lot of trouble with still is the actual FPV setup.

Although 5.8ghz seems to be the easiest, I really don't like the idea of losing video when I go behind anything, so I have been looking into 1.3ghz to use with a 2.4ghz radio. I really want to be able to fly behind things without having to worry too much. On the other hand I am worried about interference between the radio and the video.

I was hoping for some wisdom here on what I should be looking for as far as transmitters, antennas, etc. Keep in mind I am much more concerned with penetration than range. A few specific question I have are,

Does transmitter power (mw) help with penetration?
What kind of power rating should I be looking for from a transmitter?
What style of antenna should I be looking for?
How much does the receiver matter?
Will a low pass filter be necessary? If so what should I be looking for?

I am trying to keep my first build within a reasonable budget, and I am finding out that that might be hard to do with 1.3ghz, but I was hoping you might be able to direct me to some specific, hopefully inexpensive, parts that will work for a decent 1.3ghz FPV setup that won't be a huge pain or require too many obscure parts. Hopefully i'm not in too far over my head for a first build. Thanks.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
A lot of people recomend using circular polarizing antennas for video to get rid of multipath interference,

However, if interference with the 2,4 Ghz command link will cause me trouble, I'm going to try using linear polarizing antennas. 2.4 Ghz antennas mounted horizontally and 1.3 Ghz antennas mounted vertically. That should minimize harmonic interference at the expence of multipath interference.

DontPeek

Thanks for the reply. I looked into it some more, and it seems like it should be possible with a notch filter and a low power vrx, such as 200mw. Although range on my 2.4 control will likely be reduced to some extent.