OMG - It Worked......

Hello everyone - Ijust wanted to update you and say thank you to everyone that replied and helped walk me through the set up of my Woo-Kong Quad Flight System. I drove out to the middle of the desert and let her locate plenty of Sat's. No red LED flashing I waited a few till the LED flashed green several times (I think this confirms waypoint was marked). I took off, flew 40 feet away and flipped the RTH switch. She climbed up tomaybe 50-60 feet, hovered for a few then flew back above me and slowly desended and landed on her own. I wiped a tear from my eye and am so happy... Havent tried the FAIL SAFE mode (transmitter off) but must assume it will work too.. Only other questions I have are:

01). In the RTH mode, will the YAW (rudder) stick work?
02). Will RTH mode work if in the ATT mode?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply -

Tomstoy2

Congrats!

As to your first question, no, control in failsafe is autonimous. To regain control, flip off the failsafe switch then toggle out of the mode you are in and back again. Control is then released back to you.

Please don't try turning off your radio. No sence taking unnecessary risks. If failsafe works then it should if radio signal is lost.

As far as the second question, yes it will, as long as you had satelite lock upon takeoff. Same with manual mode.

Hi Tomstoy2 - thanks for the advice... I typically fly in GPS mode so if I flip on the RTH switch and decide to take over control, I must must flip off the RTH switch, toggle from GPS to Att then back to GPS in order to re-gain stick control. Lots to remember but i am sure I can.. Next hurdle is to try and understand that IOC system.. I've read it 100 times and something is NOT seeping in. I wonder if the switch I am using is acceptable? On the DX7 the only switch/button I had left open for the IOC was the Hover Trim. Center is off. When I press and hold it up it beeps up then stops indicating Home Lock. Press it down it goes to OFF then beeps down to Course Lock. On the computer the WK screen shows it's working correctly for Home Lock and Course Lock - just not as quickly as if a switch was being used... Keeping fingers crossed..

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hoveringal. please be careful when using trims to operate flight modes. You don't have a direct feedback as in using a switch in which position your are in to tell you if IOC is off or corse lock or home lock is on. Could result that you get lost ! Personally i think the most important thing for the beginning is that you get familiar with the attitude mode. Give the bird a spin in attitude mode if you feel like you can't control it or lost left right orientation switch into GPS mode and let the bird settle and you are safe. You made a good choice to fly it in open fields/desert. Best place to learn everything without stress

Boris

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
You should test your receiver preset failsafe by switching off your transmitter, of course, providing your receiver supports preset failsafe. A lot of people do not configure it properly or at all as they are not aware of the difference between the two failsafe modes. Just test in a large open area with no people and only from a short height, say, a couple of feet initially. It's good to know that your config works.

If you are not familiar with preset failsafe you may need to read about it and set it up. It involves binding to your receiver with a specific method to make sure throttle and switches default to a set position if the transmitter is lost.

Hi hoveringal, yes, it's a big smiley moment when it all works. I have no 'luck' reading the dji manuals (or should I say interpretting), it's all just lost in translations. I must say, I learned a lot from this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axp2sdH2fbA, Especially the correct method of setting failsafe for DX8/7 etc you may want to skip through the flamewheel setup, but it does make nice viewing :). DJI do update some stuff periodically, I notice a new 'cyan' rapid flash after lift-off now with latest F/W, denotes recording of succesful homepoint. Maybe rethink the trim assignment? I have a DX8 and have run out of 3 way switches already, so know what you mean, as the iOSD device needs 2 to change camera & Tx channels (safely that is)!
My favourite feature is the home lock, it really does work! KNow I've figured out the POI, that's next weeks challenge.

ATB
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

mongo

lost soul
you really do not have to be flying to test the tx off failsafe. it will show in the assistant software while you are connected to the computer with the motors in safe. just turn the tx off, and watch the indicator at the bottom of the screen either go to failsafe or not.

Once aagin thank you everyone for the response. I agree the slider switch is not the best suited type of activation device. AJWILLIS thank you for that link - I will review it and hopefully understand a few more things as I view it. MONGO you are correct and I have completed that test - the assistant software does change to FAILSAFE with the transmitter off. HARTZ I also followed the correct bind sequence. Good advice!! Cant wait to go back out and try using these options in flight. Thank you again everyone for your help building both my confidence and knowledge. Al

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
Hoveringal,

Just a reminder....It is NEVER a good idea to turn your transmitter off, to "test" the failsafe. If it is working in the Assistant it will work if the signal is lost. Sorry....BUT bad advice is BAD advice, espicially to newer Pilots.....!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
I like to know my gear and config works and nothing beats a live test, in the middle of nowhere, with only yourself and your equipment.

That being said; Fair enough, I won't mention it again. God knows I don't want to give anyone bad advice.

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
I like to know my gear and config works and nothing beats a live test, in the middle of nowhere, with only yourself and your equipment.

Hartz,

For some in Austrailia...you can step Outside and be in the "Middle of NoWhere" for some others, their neighbor's house might be twenty five feet away......"BAD" Advice was probably not the correct term to use....Newer Pilots, in more populated areas, just need to be much more cautious.........

mrbonk

Jeez....it's not *that* sparsely populated over here you know ;) Having said that, those of us lucky enough to be living in a rural area generally have lots more space available than our city dwelling brothers. I know I'll be exploiting that fact when I start trying FPV with our new F550 hexy. I can duck down to the end of the block and have nice open paddocks to fly over :) I'm sure there will be some very surprised kangaroos shortly thereafter.

mrbonk

How did you pull up after the floods, bonk?

A lot better than some mate.....so many of these poor bastards lost the lot, especially in North Bundy after the river broke its banks and swept houses and roads etc away. Far out, what a mess :( We did some aerial surveying of the damage with the quad (mainly for people who suffered property damaging in the tornadoes leading up to the flooding rains, but also for the QRA assessors). Very surreal sights. The whole joint needs a good wash now, so we're hoping for some normal rain to help out there.

I think that's fair comment. I use the forums for information & friendly advice, but in the end you have to make your own decisions about stuff based on advice received, common sense & gut instinct. ESpecially as DJI themselves demonstrate the failsafe by turning off the transmitter mid flight! It is an obvious PR party trick, but unfortunately if you're X3 channel is tied up with the gimbal pitch nick control, (as mine is) there doesn't appear to be an alternative assignment for for a dedicated RTH switch, so in that case forcing 'failsafe' is your only option. I also agree with Hartz that it is the only 'real' way of knowing if your craft will behave as it should if your radio does screw up is it not? I have seen incorrectly set throttle settings cause a craft to drop out of the sky before on failsafe :upset: I think the advice to try it in the middle of nowhere was sound though.
Not playing devil's advocate here, just thinking aloud.