My brushless gimbal result

Boltzman

Hi!

I don't have them here, but I believe I used the ones recommended by you or Vu:)
No, no tuning for wind. The gimbal is rock stable, but I have minor YAW oscillation related to the size of the multirotor.

Mikeq

Looks awesome Boltzman. What are your PID and power settings? Also, Are you using a 3 axis gimbal?

I ended up getting a Blackmagic pocket cinema and am now setting up the gimbal for it. I believe it's in the same weight range as the Nex cameras.

I think I've worked out my yaw issues and have bumped up power settings for the heaver camera (GoPro in the past).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeq

I played around with the Blackmagic and the VX5n this weekend. It looks pretty good most of the time but I get a side to side shudder from time to time. I'm not sure if it's the gimbal or vibration through the airframe or vibration causing the gimbal to react.

Here's a video. You can see the shudder throughout but first signs of it start at about 3:14.

kloner

Aerial DP
mike, what glass is it? how much does the cam and lens weigh? it looks like the third axis balance isn't perfect anymore, curious how in range to a nex this is

Mikeq

mike, what glass is it? how much does the cam and lens weigh? it looks like the third axis balance isn't perfect anymore, curious how in range to a nex this is

Hi Kloner,

I'm using an Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm (130 grams). The camera is 355 grams. These are published weights, not measured.

Mikeq

Gee I felt like Misses Cleaver and the Bev. Were going come out the front door any minute and wave to you .

Yeah, I'm no pro. I just tinker with this as a hobby. My test range is my front yard. I put this video/audio together as I was learning the basics of Davinci Resolve.

Mikeq

No worries. I've got most of my issues resolved. I think my main issue right now is that I have the gimbal hard mounted to the rails without any anti-vibration dampener.

The VX5n seems weak in this area. I've been trying to find a solution that hangs the gimbal on the little rubber vibration balls. Most gimbals come with some sort of solution. The little rubber bolts don't seem to be very good at dampening things.

What are other using?

Ptnick

Getting the bluetooth board to work. . . . with VX5N V2 Gimbal

When I saw the bluetooth interface board on GotHeliRC I jumped and was attracted to the ability to move the drone around during the tuning process without having the interface wire between the computer and the gimbal.

I used information for the installation from the Aerialpixels.com site, listed under Support. The configuration of the PC was shown and worked as described, setting up the bluetooth COM port. The bluetooth board installation, using the harness provided by Vu was pretty simple and logical.

But, when I fired it all up the computer seemed to be communicating with the bluetooth board according to the LED on the bluetooth board. However, the GUI program would not respond, and there was no link to the gimbal. The correct bluetooth code is 0000.

I delved into the AlexMos blog on the Aerialpixels.com site to see if I had company with this problem. One poster said he got his to work by reversing the cabling, exchanging the RX and the TX wire connections on the board. That seemed like an unlikely fix, but I
tried it anyway, and IT WORKED!

I hope this helps someone get hooked up, bluetooth wise.

I'm using an NEX6 with a Sigma 19mm f2.8 EX DN lens which is extremely sharp and fairly distortion free. It has support in the Adobe lens profiles, btw, which is helpful in Lightroom. If you've never tried a prime lens in place of the kit zoom you will be amazed at the sharpness. It costs $199.

Here's my Back-Bone on the GoPro on my Yun1 Brushless Gimbal. I've mounted the 2/3" Computar 16mm C-Mount Lens.

Cameraj

Can anyone share the wiring setup with the 3axis got heli gimbal, the hdmi conv, receiver, BEC, shutterfly trigger, fpv downlink, etc
thanks, or if anyone has photos that would be great, I'm putting on the third axis part of the gimbal and think about all those wires and how do they get connected and stay untangled? Is it better to mount parts to the gimbal to keep the wires for getting in the way?

No worries. I think my main issue right now is that I have the gimbal hard mounted to the rails without any anti-vibration dampener.

I've been trying to find a solution that hangs the gimbal on the little rubber vibration balls. Most gimbals come with some sort of solution. The little rubber bolts don't seem to be very good at dampening things.

What are other using?

I am interested in this question as well. Hopefully someone can chime in with a suggestion

AerialVid

Can anyone share the wiring setup with the 3axis got heli gimbal, the hdmi conv, receiver, BEC, shutterfly trigger, fpv downlink, etc
thanks, or if anyone has photos that would be great, I'm putting on the third axis part of the gimbal and think about all those wires and how do they get connected and stay untangled? Is it better to mount parts to the gimbal to keep the wires for getting in the way?

I am interested in this question as well. Hopefully someone can chime in with a suggestion

I have the "VX5N 2 axis Brushless Gimbal " with the 3-axis conversion kit add-on. I have my battery, receiver, HDMI box, and fPV mounted on the frame above the gimbal and my wires running off the back of the gimbal. I only use the 3-axis as a stabilization for Yaw movements not for manual control. As it would tangle if moving freely on manual. To freely move the gimbal you would need to use a hollow shaft/slip ring i believe. Unless you made a mount to your battery, and controller off the back of the gimbal? Anyone else?

Also I have an extra VX5N 2 with the 3rd Axis motor I am looking to sell... If you are interested message me. I can send you pic and work out a price with you.....

Thanks

Cameraj

Thanks for all the info, I add the 3rd axis as well and I get jerks on the yaw, any ideas? Have you found any good settings?