Maiden Flight duration shorter than the Wright Brothers!

johna58

OK, I had my maiden flight yesterday of my F550. I was in the air for about 15 seconds. Within that time, it had a mind of its own and started to fly to its left (looking at it from the back). I crashed about 200 feet from my location hard breaking legs #3 and #5. I also noticed two hairline fractures on the top plate across legs number 3 and 4. I thought I was thorough in my preparation. I double and triple checking my setup in assistant but I missed something. I was told that maybe I had a reversal situation with my aileron, rudder or both. If so, I just made thing worst when trying to compensate.

Iput it on the bench and, connected the battery and audible tones were all fine. I also hooked it to the assistant and notice that all of its setting and stick movements still registers. Checking the stick movement, they all looked fine but I will spend more time troubleshooting the situation and implement any changes necessary before I attempt another flight on Frankencopter II. I will also go to an open field instead on my street for the flight.

Oh well, I just ordered another barebones frame and legs. It should not take me too long to unsolder the leads from the old frame and onto the new one. I just got my FPV transmitter, receiver and camera Friday (from Hobby Wireless) but decided to hold off on its install until I tested craft (my wife calls it Frankencopter because I build it from parts and brought it life). I am also awaiting my Aeroxcraft landing legs from Bradatech.

To close off a unique day, I went ahead and got my AR Drone 2 out and was enjoying flying it when my across the street neighbor came over to see what I was doing and starting talking and asking questions. Needless to say, my concentration was broken and – you got it – I end up flying the drone into my other neighbor’s house. I have to order another Center-X crossbar and rebuild (for the second time) it too. I guess for the next couple of weeks I am grounded.

When my video is ready on Vimeo, I will add it to this thread.

johna58

That was one thing I made sure of when I was building it. I did the tape thing on all motors and made the changes to the motor leads into the ESC. I was able to get it off the ground and hovering but then power was added past the 50% that is when it went off and crashed.