DJI Flamewheel 550 Crash - IOC Failure

SMP

DJI Flamewheel 550 Crash - IOC Failure

550 on Spektrum DX7 - IOC Home Lock set to Aux 2
AUX2 must be at greater than 75% to engage IOC (Not entirely sure why that is but have tested it in DJI Assistant and will not engage until Aux 2 goes 75% positive)

Sequence -
Hovering 15-20 feet up and out - Yaw left, engage IOC to test - no response.
Disengage IOC and Yaw right to re-center nose out - Hover stable
Roll Aux 2 to 100%, engage IOC to test and... all motors completely stop!!!
550 falls like the brick that is...

Checked DJI Assistant post crash - IOC Home Lock only engages after 75% as before - Roll AUX2 to 100% no change indicated in Assistant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TVANqFLy5Y

No clue on this one... Thoughts Anybody???

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

Home Lock in IOC requires that the craft be 10 meters or about 33 feet from the Home Point. Home Lock was disabled in the 15-20 feet your were flying.

SMP

Ahh that makes sense as to the reason IOC didn't engage thx Ed. I'm still completely baffled as to why AUX2 at 100% shut all the motors off though. Anyone else ever have this issue?? Wondering if it's DJI IOC bug or Spektrum specific...

Dewster

Ahh that makes sense as to the reason IOC didn't engage thx Ed. I'm still completely baffled as to why AUX2 at 100% shut all the motors off though. Anyone else ever have this issue?? Wondering if it's DJI IOC bug or Spektrum specific...

Do you have intelligent cut off enabled? Things get frantic when trying to recover a craft that not responding as intended. Could you have activated the CSC command?

SMP

Hi Dewster,

Nope Cutoff not enabled, Voltage cutoffs not enabled. This flight was actually a short range flight just to test a number of specific Naza feature sets so luckily the dumba$$ pilot inputs were limited and I could remember the exact sequence. Basically it was AUX2 at 75%, threw IOC switch, no response (answered by TahoeEd as I was too close to home point) however from being in naza assistant configuration knew that AUX2 had to be greater than 75% before assistant registered the input, so assuming in error that the non response was due to AUX 2 being to low, I disengaged IOC switch, reoriented nose out, rolled AUX2 to 100%, threw the IOC switch again and viola, total motor shutoff. No chance to catch as it fell like a brick and I was stunned into submission anyways ;) ;)

Not sure if this is a specific DJI Naza Bug, a Spektrum DX7 Configuration Error (Assistant doesn't show any change in state from 75%-100%) or some completely unrelated failure... Patrick at AMP has sent a query to DJI and planning to retest on the bench time permitting to see if I can duplicate. In the meantime, any Spektrum/Naza/AUX2 users keep an eye out!

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
Do you have the IOC set up on a three position switch or a slider....? If you are using a three position switch, it would not normally engage the third position below 75%....Hope that made sense. You should be able to adjust all of the percentages for your switches on the DX 7

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I have the same setup as you F550, DX7s and Naza and have not had a problem with IOC. In the assistant I just adjust the channel gain (AUX2) until home lock is blue. Just checked and I use -100% and +100%. No course lock for me. Works fine but the handful of times I've used it, but I fly FPV so not much use usually.

Dropping out of the sky is not normal and has never happened to me except one time in the early days where I took it up and tested how quickly it dropped and recovered. Quite quickly actually!

Hope you sort it mate.

Ben

SMP

Problem Solved - Not a DJI Bug (good for all)

Basically the Spektrum had a funky setup MIX issue. When the Aux 2 went to 100% it cut the throttle to 0