Aeronavics / Droidworx O-rings on XM6?

I have a quick question about the o-rings that go on the booms of the XM6. There are two thicker o-rings that go on under the nacelles. But I don't understand where exactly the thinner single o-rings are supposed to go. They go on as the engine mounts go on, but not really sure where they are supposed to end up.

Those of you that have already built one, let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

thanks,
Ben

I tryed to get mine sitting between the booms and motor boots, but its kinds impossible. there too large for the gap. And in the instructions the photo shows them outside the boot. I really cant see the point of them unless they were between the boot and boom; but they dont fit.
Maybe its best to ask Linda.

Ryan

Emailed Lucy, she said it is supposed to sit between the boot and boom to reduce vibrations. Thats gona be a fun job trying to squeeze them in there.

nicwilke

Emailed Lucy, she said it is supposed to sit between the boot and boom to reduce vibrations. Thats gona be a fun job trying to squeeze them in there.

Phew!!! Thats where I put mine. Dont think it really matters much, but still thats what they are for.

droidworx

The added O-rings - the small ones inside the boot and the thin 17mm version to fit between the boot and the boom - are just a finishing touch really... just to eliminate any chance of vibration and to make a tidy fit. You can fit them to your liking - we never used to supply them and we've never had any complaints. But we are perfectionists and to those who are the same they add value. Me personally, although I am generally a big fuss, I wasn't too bothered to be honest. I have to admit though the boots do feel very nice when the o-rings are used, it makes a difference... I'll have a look at the build manual to see if we can give some clearer instructions. Cheers! Linda

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Where the hell are you all finding these XM's? Or are you all beta-testers?

Any dealer can order the frames in for you since the launch date. there is about a 4 week wait at the moment but I think that will be coming down soon as the new DW setup swings into full flow.

As far as I am aware ALL of DW testing is done in house, knowing Rob and Linda its the only way they could sleep at night!

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Can any of you XM operators give some specs? I have been attempting to establish (unsuccessfully) the weight of the new airframes and whether or not they are significantly heavier than the AD series which they essentially replace. The addition of threaded boom-fold knees, larger hub and various other plates and fittings dotted around presumably carry a weight penalty.

Any feedback on the rigidity and possible longevity of the boom knee assemblies?

I have also been unable to establish boom lengths and thus maximum propeller sizes.

It looks like only the XM-6 is out. I want to stay with eight motors but, rather than a flat 8 am I leaning towards a four boom coaxial. Maybe even a Bart-XY, using an XM-6 hub for the asymmetrical layout. Flat 8's have a proven redundancy and I don't see an X-8 being any different, but upward camera tilt is invariably compromised with motors or props in camera view. The XY configuration has a better chance of improving this - as long as the mixer copes with the splayed X.

Can any of you XM operators give some specs? I have been attempting to establish (unsuccessfully) the weight of the new airframes and whether or not they are significantly heavier than the AD series which they essentially replace. The addition of threaded boom-fold knees, larger hub and various other plates and fittings dotted around presumably carry a weight penalty.

Any feedback on the rigidity and possible longevity of the boom knee assemblies?

I have also been unable to establish boom lengths and thus maximum propeller sizes.

It looks like only the XM-6 is out. I want to stay with eight motors but, rather than a flat 8 am I leaning towards a four boom coaxial. Maybe even a Bart-XY, using an XM-6 hub for the asymmetrical layout. Flat 8's have a proven redundancy and I don't see an X-8 being any different, but upward camera tilt is invariably compromised with motors or props in camera view. The XY configuration has a better chance of improving this - as long as the mixer copes with the splayed X.

I think Bart is using a Hoverfly Pro with his XY8 and is happy with it - ask him about the details. I'll have to weigh my XM-6 when I find my scale. I don't thing the boom-fold knees are available yet. Looking at mine (halfway assembled), 13 inch props look to be the max.

droidworx

Hi! Thank you for your interest! Regarding (some of) your questions:

The XM frames are available in all configurations - 4, 6, 8, X3 and X4 - or you can indeed do the "Bart XY"-mod as a custom variation. In our shop you see the models listed and you can start tailoring your craft from there: http://droidworx.co.nz/products/shop/category/xm-series/. In the shop also you find the different boom lengths for different size propellers per core - the XM series is designed to take props up to 13".

Regarding weight: There is a weight penalty to all added bits of course - but you don't have to fit all these if you want the lightest possible configuration. All stripped down it can't get much lighter - it's all carbon fiber with aluminium fasteners (aircraft grade) where possible. The VM is pretty much this stripped down version fully modelled of the AD series. The boots and nacelles of the XM are of a super lightweight material (as well as the engine mount brackets and boom clamps) with a density only just a tad higher than water.

The XM-8 with 410mm booms weighs 1235 grams with dome only, with crash cage 1303, add 50 grams for the extended landing gear. Add 15 grams to these figures if you chose the 440 boom length option (13” props). These weights include engine mount boots and boom nacelles.

The XM-X4 (coax 8) weighs 1061 with dome only, 1129 with crash cage - add 50 grams for extended landing gear. This includes 355mm booms to take 13" props, engine mount boots and boom nacelles.

All this info including diameters and pack down dimensions is to be added to the website - just trying to find the time - apologies for this delay. But if you want to know any of these specs meanwhile just send us a note.

The folding boom knuckles as Ben suggested are indeed not yet available, but these will add about 25 grams of weight per boom. The knuckles take depending on the boom length 8.5 to 13.5 kg of thrust per knuckle/boom - plenty for the XM series. The inner mechanism is produced from a fiber reinforced composite super strong (stronger than stainless steel) and lightweight. But we’ll test durability thoroughly before releasing them - the horizontal fold and standard pack down features of the XM offer already easy travel solutions.

A bit of a lengthy reply, I hope it answers your questions - feel free to ask any other questions you might have...

Cheers!
Linda