Aeronavics / Droidworx Droiderbuilt SkyJib Lite 4x

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
This is not really relevant to this thread but I would have thought you really need to go to 6 cell on that kind of weight craft and up the battery capacity.

I never had much luck with ecalc either.

Dave

Bluerex

Thread Split at #177???
But still very interested in load vs cells vs props vs time...
If ecalc cannot be relied on, what do us noobs use as a design tool?

c

roryhinds

my AXI 2826/12 motors can only go up to 5S batteries.

Yeah is there a eCalc out there that works for people who have never had any luck with it?

crcr

Yeah I agree with the thread split. We are going away from the original topic but all this stuff is very interesting and maybe just under a different topic heading?

I have always found ecalc to be pretty close. Maybe it works better with some combinations than others? but there is nothing like trialling and also other peoples experiences with different weights, props, batteries etc.

Cheers

dazzab

Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. I've found the entire thread really useful as I build a DW SJLX4 myself.

You mentioned a 'safety beacon' in one of your posts. Is that to locate the bird if it goes off on an adventure? What is it that you are using?

Cheers.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I use battery lipo alarms in the event of a emergency landing out of site. U may have to wait a while but at least you see them and here them.

You can also buy TX activated alarms.

Glad the thread has been helpful

Dave

dazzab

Well, my build isn't going well at all. Fortunately Blurex lives close enough for me to drop in on and vent. I seem to have ordered just as DW are introducing new models and therefore I'm the first to get the Tiger 4014 motors which should have been shipped with oval motor mounts and some sort of 'sheild' that's new. But they sent the same round mounts you have. The motor is as big as the disk so there's no way to tighten the bolt. So here I sit for another two weeks waiting for the right parts. This was after they left out a part of the landing legs so I couldn't build both of them either.

I'm really disappointed in the build manuals as well. All that 'refer back to page XXX for model yadda yadda yadda...' just to find the info is out of date and doesn't apply really is bad. I don't think it's too much to expect when spend several thousands of dollars to have access to a specific up to date manual.

I know in the end I'll have a really nice copter to shoot video from but a month delay wasn't in my plans. Guess that's what I get for making my purchase that close to NAB.

I've started to post some photos on my Flickr account if anyone is interested.

Lanzar

Well, my build isn't going well at all. Fortunately Blurex lives close enough for me to drop in on and vent. I seem to have ordered just as DW are introducing new models and therefore I'm the first to get the Tiger 4014 motors which should have been shipped with oval motor mounts and some sort of 'sheild' that's new. But they sent the same round mounts you have. The motor is as big as the disk so there's no way to tighten the bolt. So here I sit for another two weeks waiting for the right parts. This was after they left out a part of the landing legs so I couldn't build both of them either.

I'm really disappointed in the build manuals as well. All that 'refer back to page XXX for model yadda yadda yadda...' just to find the info is out of date and doesn't apply really is bad. I don't think it's too much to expect when spend several thousands of dollars to have access to a specific up to date manual.

I know in the end I'll have a really nice copter to shoot video from but a month delay wasn't in my plans. Guess that's what I get for making my purchase that close to NAB.

ANother 3 months off flying practise and you will have first good shots :) good work so far i am just missing a power board for all those wires.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

I see you have quite a few new components there. The new Titanium coloured gimbal mounting piece with its HORRIBLE white plastic and the leg braces all point you have the Titainium upgrade parts, Just the Motor Mounts aren't the new ones!

I was expecting a report from Nab with pictures of the upgraded frames but nothing yet from there or DW. I would have thought IF there are new major changes to the recent line up DW will be offering a upgrade path. We wait with baited breath!

Some times its good to have forced breaks from building as you can step back and see better / different ways of doing things. Frustrating I Know.

What PDB are you going to plug all those ESC's on to?

Dave

droidworx

I see you have quite a few new components there. The new Titanium coloured gimbal mounting piece with its HORRIBLE white plastic and the leg braces all point you have the Titainium upgrade parts, Just the Motor Mounts aren't the new ones!

I was expecting a report from Nab with pictures of the upgraded frames but nothing yet from there or DW. I would have thought IF there are new major changes to the recent line up DW will be offering a upgrade path. We wait with baited breath!

Some times its good to have forced breaks from building as you can step back and see better / different ways of doing things. Frustrating I Know.

What PDB are you going to plug all those ESC's on to?

Dave

Hi again! Just a few more days and the new Titanium features will be on the website. Actually we have already uploaded the new showroom feature slides - just to offer a sneak-peak (SkyJib for example: http://droidworx.co.nz/products/showroom/sky-jib-series/). A bit hidden to the general public until we have the shop up-to-date and have informed all distributors, but to those who have heard of the new Titanium Series can at least see what it entails.

Main changes are: new motor mount disks to support T-Motors - we have discovered a huge efficiency increase with the new Navigator Series of T-Motors so had to adjust the mounts to facilitate these -and other - motors. The bolts mount differently to the motor mount to provide easier access for build and pre-flight-checks. Engine Mount Bolts are now made of Titanium to add extra strength - also helpful for certification purposes although the 7075 aircraft grade alloy bolts also passed no problem.

We have made new moulds for a larger dome to cover more easily electronics - they come in either a smokey finish or carbon finish. They do change the appearance of the craft quite a bit I have to say - we all love it!

The dampener seat is indeed changed to white. This is not merely to change it's appearance but the material - unprocessed nylon with teflon coating - provides an easier slide and it is just that tiny bit softer to absorb even more vibration. You'll notice it when you compare the two side-by-side. We are perfectionists and although many will not notice the difference, we know it is the best material to use. I actually really like how clean they look, but if you really hate them Dave we have stacks of the black version left-over so you are good for life... :nevreness:

We have changed the over-all colour scheme whilst we were at it - although we loved the colours, the metallic look is just more neutral and looks really corporate. To the current V2 and XM owners - hold on to those sunset/autumn coloured parts, I find them quite special and since they have only been on the market for a little over 6 months they are of a limited edition. Change-overs to the new colours would be available too of course...

I hope this satisfies the immediate curiosity. The changes are merely a response to a new market development regarding the motors - and it gave us the opportunity to cross the t's and dot the i's. I think we might have been the first who had an opportunity to test them and will have them available in our shop in the next week or two. Others will also soon no doubt. Our relationship with AXi is unchanged - they make fantastic quality motors but the specs are just not as suited to MR as the Navigator Series from T-Motors are. This is what helps the industry in general move forward - we have of course communicated with AXi to inform them as you do when you have a good relationship - now it is up to them if they see a need to make a more MR specific motor. We will support them as always.

Cheers!
Linda

droidworx

Hey Dazzab - did we send you the oval shaped engine mount disks in the end...? Sorry for the mix-up, as I mentioned earlier tonight we are in the process of changing all the kits over. We actually used to provide the oval shaped EM's only with the HL SkyJibs since the motors for the Lite are usually smaller, but with the new wider engines everything has changed. I saw on your photos you did manage to mount them on the round disks, but much easier on the oval disks and better for pre-flight checks also so I'd be happier if we'd send them to you. Please let me know...? contact@droidworx.co.nz...

Cheers!
Linda

dazzab

Hey Dazzab - did we send you the oval shaped engine mount disks in the end...?
Linda
Just so everyone here knows, the staff at DW have gone out of their way to correct the situation as quickly as possible and I received very good follow up service. I don't actually have the new engine mount disks yet but that was my choice as I decided to wait for some new engine shields that are coming in this week before having them shipped. I seem to have been one of the first customers to order as the models are being updated and part of this confusion is simply because DW have done the right thing by me in that they are shipping me the new model a bit before it was actually official. So I guess I was a 'beta customer'. All in all it's working out OK. Builds of this type aren't something you can really rush anyway. Better to have it correct and take your time to make sure everything is spot on.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Better to have it correct and take your time to make sure everything is spot on.

Yup I found that with mine. Best do some work then put it away for a day or to then go back and make sure your fully happy with the part you last did.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
A few pics from a great day filming Dandelions!

She is so solid and predictable its actually quite relaxing to fly her once you get over the initial worries of so much kit in the air!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
My SkyJib Light X4 is now starting earn a living for its self and I have a number of projects that require different payloads. These range from 1.1KG to 2.5KG. While I have been up in Scotland the long daylight hours have allowed me to do lots of testing and tuning. What I have found that unlike my ADX3 this bird needs setting up for the weight much more critically. Flying without at least 1KG is not really practical unless I deopped a prop size which is a pain. If I use the CX730 on her I will need to add weight to get her to fly anywhere near as nice as the ADX3 which would be extra batteries so even longer flight times than I am getting now, but for now the ADX is the CX730 machine. Once loaded up though she can really mooove. 67kph is still air which s scary quick for a bird of this size, I think she would go faster but I lost the nerve to give her another run. Flight times are really good. Flying with the Canon 550D at 1.1kg she will stay in the air for 12/13 mins on 2 x 8000mah Zippy Flight max 5c. With 2KG 9/10 mins and with the heaviest I lifted which was 3.1 KG was 7/8mins. I tried different prop sets but the 13x5 Xoar carbons proved the best. I have had flight time improvements on my ADX by swapping to GensAce packs, around another minute over the Turnergy ones. so maybe I will try some GensAce on the SkyJibLite but at the moment the flight times are more than ample.

Dave

roryhinds

Dave, how are you getting usable results from the AV200 and Skyline? Please do tell as I'm ready to toss mine as I can't get usable footage from the thing.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up.. Cant really explain how. I have not done much tweaking just upped the gains till it shook and dropped then 40% seems to work OK. I think you either have a working model like mine seems to be or you aint, the vast majority aint!

Also flying smooth. you can chuck it around but then it will loose horizon which I get time to time but only when I have been testing and making myself dizzy!

I still have a horizon issue when some times at start up it sits about 3º out and I have to power down and start again which is a pain. One of my projects today is see if I can get horizon adjustment on a channel so I can tune remotely. First I have to find out how to make adjustments to that channel.

Whats happening to yours?

Dave