Aeronavics / Droidworx Ryan`s SkyJib V2 build blog...

droidworx

Great work Ryan! Would love to see the full setup... as I am sure everyone else does... No pressure. :) If you think we should add some holes to the camera mounting bracket to make it more universal let us know! Thanks again... Linda

Im sure people would appreciate it, because not every one wants to use Photo higher Gimbals. Im moving house this week so, I dont know when Il get a chance to do some more work on it. Lots to sort out. But the build quality is truly more than I expected, everything has really been thought about.

Ive been having issues with one of my Freefly Radians. I couldn't get it into bootloader mode to update the firmware. After a small chat with Tabb, hes sending me out another unit. Great customer service right there.
I spent the last week working slowly on the wiring of the Freefly gimbal. Trying to work out the best root for all the cables. Ive managed to get it looking good, but I forgot to add in a common mode powerfilter to the Iftron transmitter power supply. In the morning Il pull the cables back out of the booms and solder that in place.

Heres what its looking like now:
View attachment 7985View attachment 7986View attachment 7987View attachment 7988

Attachments

• _MG_2951.jpg
    _MG_2951.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 339
  • _MG_2952.jpg
    _MG_2952.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 353
  • _MG_2953.jpg
    _MG_2953.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 318
  • _MG_2955.jpg
    _MG_2955.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 317

The plan is to shoot fishing, shallow water just of the coast kinda stuff. Big sharks and Kingfish. Plus a lot of scenery. That will be the main purpose of the rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0ZLtU-Pzs
But I plan on shooting some BMX for other projects, and what ever else needs to be shot for clients.

Ive made the decision to go with Herkules III. So Il be ordering two of the boards this week so i can finish the build.

Ive finished building the two ground station cases for video down link and fpv.

5.8 Downlink for camera operator:
-Iftron Yellow Jacket Pro
-Zippy 5000mah 4s battery hooked up to a voltage regulator dropping it down to 12v for the screen and Iftron.
-PYLE 10.4" screen, nice and big to see whats going on, its matt which is nice for sunny days(Its still got the screen protector on it, for now)
-Voltage display off ebay.

View attachment 8165View attachment 8166View attachment 8167

1.3ghz for FPV if needed, some shots will be at distance, so i opeted to build this just incase I do end up shooting far away. Il use this one for my TBS DISCO also.
-1.3 ghz transmitter and receiver from Ready made RC.
-Zippy 5000mah battery
-12v voltage regulator
-Voltage display
-Japan FVP recorder

View attachment 8168View attachment 8169View attachment 8170

I opted for the large 5000mah batterys for hassle free use on a long day shooting.
-The PLYE screens are the same as the ones sold at Quadrocopter for $395: http://www.quadrocopter.com/104-In-Wall-Mount-TFT-LCD-Flat-Panel-Monitor-_p_592.html. I bought it off ebay for $155 :http://www.amazon.com/PLVW10IW-10-4...TF8&qid=1355099950&sr=8-3&keywords=pyle+10.4"

Attachments

• _MG_2957.jpg
    _MG_2957.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 391
  • _MG_2958.jpg
    _MG_2958.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 329
  • _MG_2959.jpg
    _MG_2959.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 387
  • _MG_2960.jpg
    _MG_2960.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 370
  • _MG_2961.jpg
    _MG_2961.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 381
  • _MG_2962.jpg
    _MG_2962.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 352

Thanks, ive already got a set of IBcrazy clover leafs and a patch for 1.3 and a helical for the 5.8.
Havent changed over to the proper aerials yet. Im still having issues with the 1.3 not working on my Disco, but hopefully il get it sorted tomorrow.

A little update:

- I received a replacement Radian from Tabb which ive wired up and programmed, worked as it should this time.
- Got a good amount of work done on a charging case/station. Il post some pictures when its done.
- Herkules boards ordered and paid for.
- Remote switch for the emcotec safety switch turned up today, so il have to do some soldering and then test it to see if I need a bec to power the receiver or not.
- Updated the Grupner MC-32 and all of my receivers with the latest firmwear.

The Hurkules boards are here!
Today i drilled some holes in the skyjib top plate to mount the boards. I need to go and buy some longer stand offs to mount them.
So il get some pictures up tomorrow. I can finally start putting this together. :)

im try i promise. I just need to work out how to use a servo tester to work out the end points of the ys-x6. so andreas can write some custom firmware for me.

Is that the very top part for the imu? Why do you want it more ridged? i thought the supplied rubber vibration isolation mounts seemed like a good idea?

View attachment 8922

I placed the Herkules on rubber standoffs then used the aluminium standoffs to mount a carbon fiber center plate on top to mount the FC. Since the Herkules heatsink predrilled holes do not line up with any on the SJ V1.

The IMU should be mounted securely. Rubber standoffs will not do.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 365

Vortex

Nice job.....I am waiting to see how the new Herc boards perform before I buy them...So I shall be following your progress intently :)

Regards,

Lance

Heres yesterdays /this mornings progress. Not very much, trying to get my head around how to set up ys-x6 and herkules.
Ive assembled the frame, the cage has been left off so i cant work on the electronics. I had been planning on running it as a + configuration rather than an x, as seen here. That would have allowed me to run the leds on paralell arms.
But a few problems i ran into. ys-x6 led mounting, I wanted it at that back for best visibility and looks, I would rathter not have it off set to one side :)
and the skyjib battery mounts which aren't on here but bolt on to either side of the fame. They would have been at 1 and 6 o'clock. It shouldn't have been to much of an issue for weight distribution. But it would have been strange. Now they will bolt on at 9 and 3 o'clock.

I enlarged the hole on top of the crash cage to install the emcotec magnet.
Thanks to Elflier for covering two of my booms in fluro hanger 9 ultra cote. I spent 6 hours trying to get a good finish and couldn't. So I asked a pro :)
View attachment 8939View attachment 8940View attachment 8941View attachment 8942

Attachments

• _MG_2963_1.jpg
    _MG_2963_1.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 287
  • _MG_2964_1.jpg
    _MG_2964_1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 296
  • _MG_2965_1.jpg
    _MG_2965_1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 274
  • _MG_2966_1.jpg
    _MG_2966_1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 345

Those Herkules boards look great. How much do they cost and from where?

Thanks
Craig

The boards cost just under $1100 euros inc shipping. Which is about the cost of 17 CC ice 50s. Im queit excited to work out how to put everything together and get it in the air.