Aeronavics / Droidworx Pete's VM-6 Hexa build blog...

nicwilke

Start an XM build blog... it's all good info for those that want to see how good DW builds are. U get chocolates in yours? I got chocolates! (and spare parts that I shouldn't have that I'm returning... I'm too honest!)

Attention to detail was awesome. You can tell the women in the team do the packing!

No chocolates, Customs must have eaten them. LOL. Did get a small gift for my wife though.

My old hexa flew through turbulence far better than my octo. I made the right choice for my purpose and payload.

The bigger machine would not be any better when the payload is still small. Just pointless. The day I have a bigger machine is because I am carrying a larger heavier camera...

Good luck for today ;)

Hi Pete,

I understand your logic, but won't having a bigger machine give you the option of greater flight time and ability to upgrade cameras later?

Bruce

www.incredible.co.nz

Efliernz

Pete
Yes it will - but I will sort that out when needed. I think I will always have the need for a smaller travel machine anyway. I have done several inside jobs where I wouldn't want anything bigger.

The video was shot with an unstabilized mount in the early days of mutis...

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Flight test time in perfect weather conditions after work.
Motors: Sunnysky 2814/11 700Kv 120g.
Props: APC 11x4.7SF

16 minutes logged.

1st flight was the gain + AL setting flight for the HoverflyPro board. Many climb and descents, AL (auto-level) and AH (altitude-hold) were tested / changed.

4S 5000mA pack - I used the remains of Sunday nights test hops.
3320grams AUW including battery + 550grams of payload (sandbag to simulate the camera + mount). 29A hover, nice climb at 36A.

2nd flight - a "typical photoshoot" flight test with 10 climbs to 150' with 10-20 second hover at altitude followed by steady (not stupid) descent speeds.
4S 2 x 4000mA packs for a combined 8000mA. 32A hover, 36-38A climbs. 45A climbs were ballistic.
6150/8000 used (76%)
10:47 minutes non-stop flight time. I am REALLY HAPPY over that! My average photoshoot (4 takeoffs, multiple angles and altitudes) takes <6 minutes flight time.

Motor temperatures (ambient temp 21 deg C): between 36 deg for CW motors, 41 deg for CCW motors (time to check the vertical alignment of the motors).
ESC temps... 27 deg.

The hexa is rock-solid and I blame the rigidity of the frame for that. So much nicer than my 16mm ali (Trex-500 booms) octo.

Well... time to get the camera mount onto it, downlink etc. I am going for a basic direct-servo roll and tilt mount (with operator-controlled 35-deg pan each way) as I have a couple doing nothing and I have some still shoots booked. I am still working on my "good mount" and that will take some work. I can test the new mount on the octo which is about to be spare ;)
I will take the VM out to my local field for FFF tests as well as climbing/descending fast flight with turns rather than use the very hard rolled field that I back onto. I'll put an hour on it before it goes to work... but I feel that I could do a commercial shoot safely tomorrow with it :highly_amused:

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
A workout at dusk with fff with climbing and descending.
4S5000 pack and 8 minutes. I happily had it to 200' but the descents required care not to come down too fast. Some adjusting the gain was needed. Some good fast fig-8s - it rocked while maintaining height or climbing.

I will change to narrow props which will increase the motor speed and it might help the descents and windy flying (which I haven't done yet)

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
I'm at work so this is as good at it gets.

I can do a proper shoot on at once home in 4 hours time...
I didn't order the cage... I don't crash! (no you can NEVER quote that back to me).

View attachment 7432View attachment 7433

Attachments

• DSC01141_edited-1.jpg
    DSC01141_edited-1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC01138.jpg
    DSC01138.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 197

Efliernz

Pete
Proof it flies above 6"

147091351.jpg

Gopro taped on only to the top of the u/c arch... crooked ;)

First flight in any wind - 10mph and it flew beautifully. I treat it well (as though it always has a camera on it) and it should keep flying like this. The wind will be up over the next few days so time to try some narrow-blade props.

Pete

nicwilke

Proof it flies above 6"

147091351.jpg

Gopro taped on only to the top of the u/c arch... crooked ;)

First flight in any wind - 10mph and it flew beautifully. I treat it well (as though it always has a camera on it) and it should keep flying like this. The wind will be up over the next few days so time to try some narrow-blade props.

Pete

Is that a hero 1? Just got given one, maybe I will hard mount it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Efliernz

Pete
Unstabilized on-board and ground video of the first field tests of my my new Droidworx VM-6.

Dark, overcast conditions are not good for video... or the 20-30Km winds but I need to know what conditions the machine will fly safely in.
The 11x4.7SF (wide-blade) props were swapped for APC-style (Hobbyking) 12x6 thin-blades, were cut down to 10.5". Any wider was too much lifting power for the weight of the machine (hover at 40% throttle). I believe the faster thin props aid control in the wind and turbulence.

Flying weight was 3500 grams. This includes the 4S5000 battery, Gopro and 550g of sandbag (to simulate the weight of the camera gimbal and camera once fitted). 7:30 flight-time on 4S5000.

147137697.jpg

Pete

nicwilke

Pete,
Whats the all up weight with your batteries now? Mine is ready to go with the camera, and feels close to the ADX I had, 5kg's. Mind you, my camera is now a whopping 600g's, so another 200g than the NEX-5n.
I'll weigh it all up today, but I'm certain its dead on 5kgs with twin 5000mah lipos.

Efliernz

Pete
5 Kg will handle the wind well.

I put my new diy gimbal on the VM-6 with RX100 camera yesterday but I left the servos disconnected until I solder a ubec for them. I am using the gimbal control from the HoverFly Pro FC and I will not run the servos direct... just in case one stalls. I am using an Align DS610 (Savox1258) on the roll and the stall current would kill the FC!
I had a fly with the RX100 Steadyshot off and I have no jitter / jello at all. I am really happy with that :) I'll get the servos powered up tonight for flight testing tomorrow - and then we see how good the servo / belt system is!

All-up weight???
VM-6, 4S5000, camera and diy 2-axis gimbal 3400g. 7 minutes of steady climbing, hover etc.
2x4S4000 (8000mA) 3800g for 10 minutes "active" flying.

I am still using the 12x6 cutdown to 10.5" props for a 45% hover. It is so nice to fly...

I will continue to fly my diy octo as my stills machine while I experiment with this. I plan to build a "good" gimbal following my diy build once I know it works.

nicwilke

5 Kg will handle the wind well.

I put my new diy gimbal on the VM-6 with RX100 camera yesterday but I left the servos disconnected until I solder a ubec for them. I am using the gimbal control from the HoverFly Pro FC and I will not run the servos direct... just in case one stalls. I am using an Align DS610 (Savox1258) on the roll and the stall current would kill the FC!
I had a fly with the RX100 Steadyshot off and I have no jitter / jello at all. I am really happy with that :) I'll get the servos powered up tonight for flight testing tomorrow - and then we see how good the servo / belt system is!

All-up weight???
VM-6, 4S5000, camera and diy 2-axis gimbal 3400g. 7 minutes of steady climbing, hover etc.
2x4S4000 (8000mA) 3800g for 10 minutes "active" flying.

I am still using the 12x6 cutdown to 10.5" props for a 45% hover. It is so nice to fly...

I will continue to fly my diy octo as my stills machine while I experiment with this. I plan to build a "good" gimbal following my diy build once I know it works.

The great thing about my heavy little hexa, is that I can pull the camera and gimbal off easily for some fun flying if I want. I think I may also end up getting a hard mounted gopro attacment like you have for such flights. I'll get 8 mins normal camera flying with twin 5000's, thats OK, and can probably go a little longer to 10 mins if needed, but will always keep a reserve. I think my 10x 5000mah's should be enough for constant flight/charge rotation as I can charge 4 at a time with my quadro balancer from a car battery. Perhaps I should get some more batteries so I can have more than 40 total mins airtime without charging them all as I go.

droidworx

Hi Pete! Hadn't taken the time yet to read your full thread - thank you so much! This is brilliant! If it's alright with you I'd like to add the link to your build thread to our build manual - would that be alright? We'll have some more chocolates here for you... :tennis:

Efliernz

Pete
Link away. I did it to share - and to show that this is fun :)

The prop choice is significant here. So many are going for wide blade props yet testing across 3 of my machines show the value of narrow props in the wind.

Efliernz

Pete
@ 3400g + 3800g, I have stayed with my cut-down 10.5x6 narrow APC (clone) 12x6.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=22432

View attachment 7605

At my weights, I am hovering at 45-50% throttle. It revs faster than the APC clone 12x6 and 12x3.8SF APC which I believe is perfect when flying in wind and descending. If I was heavier, I would use the 12x6 as supplied (but at 3400g, I am hovering at barely 40% with 12" props).

Pete

Attachments

• 074000044(1).jpg
    074000044(1).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 330