Upgrading the Mikrokopter Firmware

FlyEYE

These are the steps I went through and had no issues.

The MK should be powered by it's battery and the connection to MKTools should be via the USB cable (NOT WIRELESS)

1) Confirm in MKTools, which firmware versions you have.
2) Download all newer firmware versions for Navi Ctrl, Flight Ctrl, MK3Mag, as well as the latest MKTools (you'll need to use this once the upgrades are done)
3) In MKTools, make screen captures of all your settings as reference, I like using alt+Prn Scrn, then pasting into excel.
4) Close down all programs you have running and any obvious processes you don't need running.
5) Click Firmware update & Terminal (I used my original version of MKTools not the latest download)
6) The terminal window pops up
7) Click Update Software (serial)
8) Navigate to the .HEX file for the firmware your going to update
The firmware should be updated in the following order
a) Navi-Ctrl (mine was .18, updated to .22a)
b) MK3Mag (mine was up to date at .23a, so I did not rewrite it)
c) Flight-Ctrl (mine was .78, updated to .82)

6) The process takes about a minute or so per firmware update. At the end each of the updates there is a verification and confirmation beep from the mikrokopter.
7) You then need to check all the settings as they will all be the defaults of the new firmware. For example, the default model is for a Quad, I have a Hexa (the configuation file for the different setups are withing the directory you extracted MKtools to).
8) You'll need to redue the ACC calibration (left stick up and to the right) with the kopter level.
9) I did not recalibrate the compass as I didn't change the firmware (should I?), but this will likely be required with a firmware upgrade.

So far I've only hovered in my house, what I've noticed is all the motors start up more "smoothly", previously one or two would always twitch for a second or so. My MK also seems to be more squirrelly when hovering (default settings).

Anything Missed? Comments?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for that.. I hate this kind of stuff but I know I will have to do it one day. Would the 'wise' comment on this procedure please. Its invaluble stuff for us virgin firmwaregraders!

Crash

Defies Psychics
When flashing, I use a regulated power supply that is set to a low mA limit but I never use a battery. My reasoning is that a bad flash or bad configuration or bad firmware could cause the props to start. (Yes it's unlikely and not suppose to happen, but I like my fingers.)

The settings should be set to defaults after a flash, but I always reinit the eeprom just in case. Then I will go through each of the setting screens and make changes as necessary. I always keep in mind that the algorithms in the firmware may have changed enough to require me to re-tune any of my custom settings.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I take it this clears everything that was custom set up. What about the configuration. Mine is a Y6 which I think is a custom setting that was set up by Sandor at digitech

FlyEYE

Droider, my experience was yes that would be wiped, however the latest upgrade comes with this comment "The FC-Settings of the FC-Version 0.82 are compatible (with 0.84) and will not be overwritten". I'll try it out tonight after the kids are asleep and report back. Regardless it should be easy enough to set up again (just take note of all your settings if Sandor tweaked a lot of parameters for you).

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cheers.. I will take a closer look at all my settings. I think I will email Sandor for his comments and advice. This time I may just send my stack to him for upgrading.

Ill read up more at the weekend but for now my bird is flying sweet and although I want to learn how to do this sort of stuff I also want to fly so unless there is real compelling reason to upgrade a my just leave it a while.. or until I am confident that if I do jump in and try it I will be able to fly again after it and not be sat there with my head in my hands wishing I could turn back time!!

FlyEYE

Did the FC update from .82 to .84, and Navi update from .22 to .24. I was getting time outs the 1st time, disconnected the battery, restarted koptertool. Worked then, did the Navi 1st, and got "Flight Control not compatible" after the update finished. Looks like everything is ok. I didn't have to redo any of my settings. Hovering it in my house, it acted fine.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
"Flight Control not compatible"

See now thats exactly what worries me... the unknown if it worked correctly. When are you going to test Alt hold, PH, CH and do you fly waypoints is so when will we know if it all worked?

Dave

FlyEYE

That was before I updated the Flight Control. If all goes well I'll try it out today and report back.

recce2

FlyEYE,
Thank you for the great firmware upgrade list along with Crash for his comments. I have added a few more comments and other items and shared it here for others as a printable document.

Hope this is OK with you.
Recce2

FlyEYE

FlyEYE,
Thank you for the great firmware upgrade list along with Crash for his comments. I have added a few more comments and other items and shared it here for others as a printable document.

Hope this is OK with you.
Recce2

That's OK with me, just a quick correction "11)....FC version .084)" change to version .84

?

you CAN flash and upgrade wireless no problem i do it all the time.
just make sure you save and write down all settings in case!
also remember that not all firmware and mk tool upgrades support the old file,s.
dave: yes yours is a custom setup , and cant be found anywhere i strongly suggest you keep screenshots , and backups.
before a upgrade.
Sandor Kruise

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sandor If and when I Take that step to upgrade things can it be done via the bluetooth link? Or is it best via a direct USB link

Dave

Crash

Defies Psychics
you CAN flash and upgrade wireless no problem i do it all the time.
just make sure you save and write down all settings in case!
also remember that not all firmware and mk tool upgrades support the old file,s.
dave: yes yours is a custom setup , and cant be found anywhere i strongly suggest you keep screenshots , and backups.
before a upgrade.
Sandor Kruise

I wouldn't suggest flashing firmware wireless.

Buzzed

Gotta agree here with Crash as I've heard of too many guys getting into trouble trying to use wireless to upgrade the firmware. The MK USB is a better solution IMHO.

recce2

When flashing, I use a regulated power supply that is set to a low mA limit but I never use a battery. My reasoning is that a bad flash or bad configuration or bad firmware could cause the props to start. (Yes it's unlikely and not suppose to happen, but I like my fingers.)

The settings should be set to defaults after a flash, but I always reinit the eeprom just in case. Then I will go through each of the setting screens and make changes as necessary. I always keep in mind that the algorithms in the firmware may have changed enough to require me to re-tune any of my custom settings.

Excellent point Crash

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm very happy to see everyone playing nicely together. :)
Thanks to everyone for contributing.
Bart