Thanks Chuck! Yea GH4 with an assortment of lenses, old canon glass has some character:). Luckily I was able to shoot all the footage in 4 hours, It was the only day up there is wasn't raining ha. Yea the narrator is from England, sometimes things sound a bit funny.

Av8Chuck

Its really nice to see good footage from the ground and have a narrative, makes the aerial that much better. Are you traveling around shooting this kind of work?

Nice work.

I couldn't agree more! The first few gigs I ever had 3 years ago the entire video I made for a client was all aerial haha, gets somewhat boring. Since then I have been a one man production, my brother just got out of the air force so he has been helping me out with being a camera op. Yea lots of driving and very fast paced productions.

By the way I'm planning on picking up the align g3 gh gimbal and most likely using my Phobotic CP on it. Hows the Phobotic working for you?

Thanks Again,

Av8Chuck

No worries. Its gratifying to see how we have improved over the years...

I was using the CP quite a bit and I had it working well with an NEX5 a medium 2-axis gimbal but I've been busy building and working on other things the past three weeks. I'm still on 1328, I've heard some encouraging things about 1330. Although I haven't used it that much yet, I've already been able to use it more in a month than I was able to use my Alexmos controller in a year.

When are you getting the Align? Are you in California?

~chuck

Gizmo

Wow, very nice. Considering how windy it was for much of the aerial, very well done.

What camera, what MR and how long did it take to shoot? If I had to do that shoot it would probably take the rest of my life...
Thank you :)

I used Droidworx XM8 (X4 coaxial) with WKM and old GH2 Zenmuse adapted to GH3. For ground shoots used handmade gimbal with GH4.
Shooting lasted for 8 days with lot of bad weather. All these shots are from 4 different resorts.

jfro

Aerial Fun
RE... CP

I've been using the CP & 1330 with a store bought and DIY gimbal & gh3 and gh4. It pretty much has just worked for me. Pitch control works pretty good and follow mode is decent, although I still think I can tweak that a little more to my liking. Yaw follow on my Alexmos was tuned just a touch better.

I agree with the statements that others have made, get more flying time in with the CP than I did with Alexmos wiithout fiddling in software. I also find the CP seems to have a bit more holding power, esp in wind on my x8.

Last weekend I did some testing with gh3 using the same yaw motor/hardware setup, put my home built gimbal and Alexmos 32 bit on the x8 compared it to the CP on my DYS Eagle eye with upgraded 60mm motors. In 10 mph with 18-20 mph gusts, they were pretty similar in horizon drift (when yawing and sideways flying), follow mode worked for both, and all footage was good on CP where as I had just 2-3 small little shudders in footage on a couple wind gusts on Alexmos. Both were setup with autotune and no adjustment other than yaw follow and pitch.

Swartzracing, nice footage and also impressive that's from a 4 hour shoot. Good job.

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
This is my first attempt at a showreel and I welcome your critique. I am currently training with Resource Group. Although I have been flying fixed and rotary wing for 20+ years, I am a relative late comer to multirotors, having been asked by my employer to pave the way.

I am currently using a F450 and GoPro as a learning vehicle before moving on to a larger camera platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

This is my first attempt at a showreel and I welcome your critique. I am currently training with Resource Group. Although I have been flying fixed and rotary wing for 20+ years, I am a relative late comer to multirotors, having been asked by my employer to pave the way.

I am currently using a F450 and GoPro as a learning vehicle before moving on to a larger camera platform.

I think your done practicing with that setup... Your flying is fine, there were a few shots where you were flying straight but your yaw was a bit off so it felt like you were flying a little sideways, but overall this looked really well done. Any criticism I have would be more about the limits of your setup, not your skills, like the tilt down over the starting gate and maybe some suggestions on how to remove fisheye etc.

I don't think any additional practice with that setup will yield much in terms your flying and AP skills. What your up against next is building the right setup for the level of camera you want to fly and go for it. Just like this setup, your next setup will determine your limitations so I'd recommend learning how different types of MR's, gimbals, camera's, controllers etc., are best for the kind of work your planning on shooting.

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
Thank you for this very kind reply. You have highlighted some of the weaknesses which I also perceive. Yes, tilt is tricky with this set up. I am using a JR DSX9 and there is a suitable lever which I have programmed for camera tilt. It has a fine ratchet which I have removed, but still the response is tricky. Experiments with servo delay have not resolved the issue and to date, the best solution has been a piece of fuel hose over the lever to introduce resistance. The next platform will be 2 man operation and camera movements will be on the main sticks. The yaw issue has been an on going challenge, largely solved. Initially, I was given a Phantom 1 with a 2d gimbal. I was unhappy with the results - http://youtu.be/ueP_dAMtTh8 I have subsequently built the F450 with a 3D gimbal and am happy. The issue with the fence jump was to produce a continuous flight around the course to give a jockeys view. The solution I decided on was to follow in a car. This produced many other interesting issues such as any distance limits set in Naza Assistant! Future projects of this nature will be achieved by pre programmed autonomous flight.
The next platform depends on a camera/lens/link decision. At the moment, this is most likely, an IOI Flare 2k, 12mm to 50mm lens, and a Cobham SDI downlink on a Cinestar 8 hybrid and Movi 5 gimbal. We are working towards a new market for this type of platform, so are into uncharted waters.
This forum has been an invaluable source of wise advice and I value it and it's contributors very highly. Thank you for responding :)

kloner

Aerial DP
I'd highly recommend heading towards the gh4... 2 man setup so you can get the whole camera part off your plate and just concentrate on flying the perfect paths/glide slopes, etc.

kloner

Aerial DP
when i saw that story on the news here i was wondering who was gonna film it..... the way the poppies were in there, you really gotta watch for a rogue poppy sticking up when you skimmed along them. Nice....

When you guys film stuff like this i assume under BNUC does anybody get notified your gonna go do it or is it a pretty open deal, show up and fly? Do they make you get permission to fly or film something like that?