New to Multi-Rotors but looking to accelerate my learning curve.

almphoto

Hi all,
I am new to multi-rotor copters, and want to make sure I build a good base before going all in on a pro rig to fly my photography/video equipment. I have researched myself to the analysis - paralysis mentioned in one of the threads. I want something to learn with as well as be able to fly my GoPro cameras. (I want to play also) I specced out the set up below.

DJI F450 Multirotor ARF Kit $190.00
DJI Naza+GPS Module $399.00
Graupner E-prop 10"x5" Left Rotation $12.00 (quantity 2) $24.00
Graupner E-prop 10"x5" Right Rotation $12.00 (quantity 2) $24.00
HYPERION G3 EX 5000 MAH 4S 14.8V 45C/90C LIPOLY PACK $137.99 (quantity 2) $275.98
Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC 1-6 Cell LiPo Charger w/Balancer $119.99
Naza FlameGear Landing Gear +GoPro Camera Mount $129.99
Hitec HS-65MG Mighty Feather Servo $32.00 (quantity 2) $64.00
SBEC Switch/Power Regulator w/Servo Extensions for camera mount $26.00
Item total: $1,252.96

Is it worth the extra $152 to upgrade to the DJI F550 hex (Item total: $1,404.96)

I also need a radio and am looking at the
Spektrum DX8 2.4GHz DSMX 8Ch Aircraft Radio w/Telemetry Module & AR8000 Receiver
or
Futaba 8FG Super 2.4GHz FASST 14-Channel Heli Radio System w/R6208SB

I am not sure what else I will need. Any tools, soldering iron, etc. was probably sold in a yard sale by my wife, so any suggestions will be appreciated there also.

What else will I need? Does it look like a good set up? Opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
the fastest way to learn this hands down, bar none is with a sim. I'll let these guys tell what kind to get cause they don't like my suggestion on it, but you can crash a million dollars worth of gear for the one low price of***. Seriously, a sim is invaluable in getting through learning orientation on the cheap

4s, dji motors, try the 8" graups with that setup. if you want to push the motors really hard and it might not hover right flipping between manual and atti, try the 9"s. 10" will draw over twice what the motors are rated for

naza and gps, no doubt you want a futaba. that radio is really nice, if you didn't want such a feature packed rig, the 8j does a great job. Don't worry about telemntery. if you get into that kind of forward flight like fpv, get an osd later.

Bowley

Any good suggestions for simulators for multi-rotors?

AeroSim is pretty good but a little dull on the graphics front, good physics and a good range of MR's it will do the job.
You actually dont have to have MR's to learn the skill though, just use the heli's in more interesting sims, that will teach manual flight also, you never know when you need to switch to manual. however the coaxial helis in these sims behave much like an MR in stabilized mode.

kloner

Aerial DP
the sim called Phoenix has the gaui 330 i think it's called and in helis has all the settings to make it act self leveling or not. can even assign a switch like atti/manual or whatever you call it on your controller. it has 2d, nvidia enhanced 3d and infinite scapes, You can make any model view from the cockpit, put it on infinite landscape and fly off any direction and never turn. in the regular 2d sceneray, it looks like pictures, in teh 3d it looks like a decent video game.

3dheliguy

You need a good sim with really good physics, as I'm sure you now want to defy them now. So there is only a couple good ones in my opinion, 1. Real flight 6, Phoenix, and aero sim if you want. But keep in mind you need to be able to run windows 7, and a graphics processor is key to handling the payload.

kloner

Aerial DP
don't bother with phoenix if you don't have a nvidia video card, newer one. it'll drive you nutts. If your not sure,you probablly don't. it's one of them gamer things

flitelab

Another option is a small quad like the Blade mQX, great learning tool that can be flown inside or out and probably gives you more real feel than a sim. With that said, Sims are great tools also.