Sony Nex-5n - downlink

lopper64

THanks. I switched to Manual focus and all worked well. Went to take pics for job and couldnt get manual focus to be spot on and most of my pics were not clear enough to use. Anyone have ideas for getting it to focus to infinity? I sucked because light was right and no wind. Leaving to head back to Florida so no chance for more pics here in Texas. I think I will just use extra camera on top of sony and stick to auto focus. Haven missed a pick yet with that setup.

lopper64

View attachment 7857 Taken with Sony NEX5n flying Bumblebee 550 all stock extra reciever for camera and gimbal. Father on camera using 7 inch screen on tripod.

Attachments

• DSC01423.jpg
    DSC01423.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 287

matukash

Thank you Skivvie!! This is a great tutuorial. :nevreness: I was about to throw out my s*itty HDMI/AV converter :D Ill let you know if it works for me. Now this doesn't mean I have to use TX/RX that you specified, correct? I am planning on getting another fatshark complete kit..

Also, check out my FB page! All of the photos are taken with the original SONY NEX-5! http://www.facebook.com/closeupaerial

matukash

This is how I do it!

I have the stock Sony NEX-5, my setup is quite simple. I drilled a hole in the lens hood and attached the fpv camera below it. It doesn't exactly match the photo dimensions on the NEX-5, but it's pretty close. On the Fpv camera you'll have a taller picture while the NEX-5 will be showing a slightly wider ratio image with the stock lens. Here's the picture of my setup. I am a real estate photographer and I've been using this set up all along!:tennis:

Attachments

• GOPR0266.jpg
    GOPR0266.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 384

Still pro

I have the stock Sony NEX-5, my setup is quite simple. I drilled a hole in the lens hood and attached the fpv camera below it. It doesn't exactly match the photo dimensions on the NEX-5, but it's pretty close. On the Fpv camera you'll have a taller picture while the NEX-5 will be showing a slightly wider ratio image with the stock lens. Here's the picture of my setup. I am a real estate photographer and I've been using this set up all along!:tennis:
Is that a polarizer or ND filter on your lens?

pokmon

Just to clarify for those looking for a working setup, here is my complete setup for downlink with a Sony NEX5n. (wiring photos for converter at the bottom of post). HUGE thanks to MombasaFlash for helping and posting about this converter hack. Not sure who found it first but thanks to them as well!

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 6381

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 6383View attachment 6382

I mounted it to the front of the AV130 with some 3M dual lock velcro, battery backpacking along as well.
View attachment 6384

Boys! Follow this perect guide. Automatic focus ON and IR shutter work excelent. Other setups have problem with IR shutter and autofocus on Sony Nex 5n. :nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

matukash

Boys! Follow this perect guide. Automatic focus ON and IR shutter work excelent. Other setups have problem with IR shutter and autofocus on Sony Nex 5n. :nevreness:

Hi, Isn't that the same setup though? What are the differences between this one and the original one?

Thanks, Mat

pokmon

I don`t know where is a problem or difference. Other setups powered HDMI to AV adapter from USB or camera. Only this setup take power from Immersion TX. IR shutter work with autofocus setting in Sony Nex 5n (picture and video). Great job!

Kilby

I saw in another thread that this works...

Solution is here: Use mode P, S, A or M and then in autofocus area, select flexible spot!

matukash

I don`t know where is a problem or difference. Other setups powered HDMI to AV adapter from USB or camera. Only this setup take power from Immersion TX. IR shutter work with autofocus setting in Sony Nex 5n (picture and video). Great job!

I saw in another thread that this works...

Solution is here: Use mode P, S, A or M and then in autofocus area, select flexible spot!

Could you guys upload some aerial shots as well as the picture or two of your set-ups?

That'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

valdi99

Guys, has anybody got this mini hdmi2av converter working with GH2? I suppose I tried everything and it does not work... Same video plays OK when I feed it from video streamer via HDMI out, but when I try to play it on GH2 via HDMI out - converter does not see the video signal! Any help please?

gww528

Guys, has anybody got this mini hdmi2av converter working with GH2? I suppose I tried everything and it does not work... Same video plays OK when I feed it from video streamer via HDMI out, but when I try to play it on GH2 via HDMI out - converter does not see the video signal! Any help please?

I do not have the GH2 but do you have/try a supply voltage going to the hdmi2av?

valdi99

Yes, I've tried to supply voltage via USB, or HDMI, or USB + HDMI and no matter what I do - it does not see the video signal! But strange thing is that when GH2 is connected to TV via HDMI, you can not choose any recording mode other than 1080i. But when I connect GH2 to hdmi2av - it seems GH2 does not recognize it has been connected, as I can choose then any other mode from menu.

Maverick

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Yes, I've tried to supply voltage via USB, or HDMI, or USB + HDMI and no matter what I do - it does not see the video signal! But strange thing is that when GH2 is connected to TV via HDMI, you can not choose any recording mode other than 1080i. But when I connect GH2 to hdmi2av - it seems GH2 does not recognize it has been connected, as I can choose then any other mode from menu.

Hi, I started the Panasonic thread and at some point was complaining about the same thing you are talking about. The GH2 would output HDMI direct to an HDMI equipped monitor or TV but not through the HDMI converter. Yet all other cameras I have worked with the same HDMI converter. The problem was eventually narrowed doen to the HDMI converter that would not handle the GH2 HDMI signal for some reason. The HDMI converter was the big 4" x 3" that is supplied in a heavy cast metal box. Changing to the small 2.5" square plastic boxed HDMI converter solved the problem.

valdi99

Hi MombasaFlash
Thx for reply! I have the same small, square plastic boxed converter - almost the same: just black... I thought its gonna work with GH2, as color doesn't matter, but it does not handle GH2 video signal. My bad... :(