Sony Nex-5n - downlink

Dr.phil

Hmm... strange
I remember that there were two different yokes than fit the nex-5n.
Maybe you should contact Askman and check just in case
Regarding the line up with the roll axis, the reason is I moved the the tray so it would align.
It's adjustable.
Which version do you have of the AG550? Mine is v1.2

EDIT: Just thought about something. I have two slots on my tray. If I move the camera to the first slot it would be the same position as yours.
Is it possible that you can drill a hole furhter back? Maybe that would give you more space for cable since it would clear the bolts

Last edited by a moderator:

Bison52

I don't have two slots in my tray and i don't see anyway to adjust the tray itself. I'll send a pic when I get back home. I should have the latest version, I purchased mine apparently right before they took it off the site in anticipation of the newer model. I wasn't too happy about that. If I had known there was a new model nearing release I would have waited.

Bison52

Here's my tray. Wonder if it looks like yours. I have v1.5 and that may be one of the differences but I still don't see how to fit a HDMI cable in there. As near as I can tell, I placed my order on July 31 and they stopped taking orders on Aug 1 in anticipation of the revamped version. Should have received some notice and the choice to wait for new version.
View attachment 6277

Attachments

• Yoke (1 of 1).jpg
    Yoke (1 of 1).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 439

Dr.phil

Mine is as I said v1.2. Hmm...is mine wider?
View attachment 6278

By the way, forget about the two extra holes. I just wanted to try something one day :)
I can see on the left side that there is a difference.
You have the same bolts on both sides, on mine you can see a smaller screw

Attachments

• TrayAG550.jpg
    TrayAG550.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 232

Bison52

Where yours is 5.5 cm deep, mine is only 2.54. Total width is 12.7 cm and width between the bolts is 12 cm.

bordhead

Yep, still working. But i only need it on Cams that don't have power over Hdmi like the Epic.
im using that hdmi converter with the sony nex and running 5v to it, could not get it powered through my hdmi. I want to Y off the 6v going to my gimbal and eliminate the 5v power supply to the hdmi converter is why a asked.

Vojec

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 6381

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 6383View attachment 6382

I mounted it to the front of the AV130 with some 3M dual lock velcro, battery backpacking along as well.
View attachment 6384

Your instruction works perfect. Thank you.

skivvie

I have an extra one of these that's not going to get used... its the black one, same as above otherwise. $30 shipped in the US... PM me if interested.

Hm, stupid question perhaps but, how you usually shot movies with the nex5n - AVCHD or Mpeg4? I filmes it AVCHD 50/17 interlaced and it can not be edited any good in 720/25 than? What am I doing wrong? Thanx

Still pro

Just to clarify for those looking for a working setup, here is my complete setup for downlink with a Sony NEX5n. (wiring photos for converter at the bottom of post). HUGE thanks to MombasaFlash for helping and posting about this converter hack. Not sure who found it first but thanks to them as well!

Sony NEX5n on a PhotoHigher AV130 on a Flexacopter with WKM

HDMI -> RCA converter available from Amazon here:ViewHD Universal Mini HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter
ir

ir

or on Goodluckbuy here: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hdv-m610-mini-hdmi-to-cvbs-lr-audio-converter-adapter-scaler-.html

HDMI to mini HDMI cable that I hacked the plastic off of and put heat shrink on so it would fit between the pulley and the camera. Have a slimmer shorter one on the way... one of these: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin-World-s-Thinnest-HDMI-Cable-s/192.htm but can't confirm yet if it will fit without cutting away connector... my guess is no.
View attachment 6378

ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz A/V Tx with the 5v out powering the HDMI converter:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=266
Powering that with a Zippy 1000mAh 2s Lipo

blue beam cloverleaf and skew planar antennas:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49&products_id=550

ImmersionRC Duo5800 A/V Diversity Receiver (overkill but nice):
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=265

Fatshark Dominator video goggles (sometimes, also use LCD screen depending on situation)
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22&products_id=522
Powering these and the receiver with a Zippy 1600mAh 3S Lipo.

Here's how to power/hack the HDMI converter.
Each of the 4 corners has female tabs on the top of the case. Just push into the crack with a spudger or super thin screwdriver to pop the tabs out.
View attachment 6379View attachment 6380

Then desolder the RCA connectors. This is a pain in the *** I suggest you have a good solder sucker.
View attachment 6381

I then soldered a servo lead on like so. 5V to the positive side of the capacitor next to the USB port (the leg closest to the edge of the board). Ground to a leg of the USB shield. And Video to the center pin hole of the video socket, the inner of the two holes. Zip tie for strain relief pop the case back on and pow. Done. IF you don't knock of one of the tiny SM resistors along the way that is. ;-)
View attachment 6383View attachment 6382

I mounted it to the front of the AV130 with some 3M dual lock velcro, battery backpacking along as well.
View attachment 6384
Question since I just purchased this converter and stripped the A/V plugs off of it. I'm ready to solder new leads on but confused as to why you need the power and ground coming off the box when the transmitter is powered by a separate battery anyway. And if the box is powered by the camera with the HDMI cable why not just have the video out and that's it?

affas

I got the Freefly HDMI converter but I am not able to get the picture.

I have set the Nex 5N meny option to: setup --> ctrl for hdmi---> on

And I know that the TX/RX unit works since I have tested with my GoPro.

Any suggestion?

Attachments

• IMAG1666.jpg
    IMAG1666.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 316

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I got the Freefly HDMI converter but I am not able to get the picture.

I have set the Nex 5N meny option to: setup --> ctrl for hdmi---> on

And I know that the TX/RX unit works since I have tested with my GoPro.

Any suggestion?

Do you get the color bar display or nothing at all? Also, the vTX and converter need to have separate power feeds, I tried powering the HDMI from the 5 volt out on the Immersion vTX and could not get it to work, no clue as to why. Ran a separate 5 volt feed off a CC BEC to the HDMI and it worked...

Ken

affas

Do you get the color bar display or nothing at all? Also, the vTX and converter need to have separate power feeds, I tried powering the HDMI from the 5 volt out on the Immersion vTX and could not get it to work, no clue as to why. Ran a separate 5 volt feed off a CC BEC to the HDMI and it worked...

I do get the color bar display with following text:
IN - NO SIGNAL
OUT NTSC

Mine does run through a 5V regulated lipo pack

Minnzoo

Trouble with Gent-led and HDMI to AV converter.

Has anyone had problems with the Gentl Shutter LED when using the HDMI to AV converter? I find the camera does not respond to the LED command correctly when it's going through the HDMI cable, and many of the pics I do take are out of focus. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to go back to my secondary FPV camera to take pics. When I unplug the HDMI cable, everything works properly.

Thanks,

David

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Has anyone had problems with the Gentl Shutter LED when using the HDMI to AV converter?....

As these threads tend to waffle on and things can quickly get buried you can be forgiven for not knowing about this gentLED issue, which has been revealed quite some time ago. With the Sony NEX series the gentLED-SHUTTER will not work IF the HDMI cable is connected and the camera is in Auto-Focus. Change to Manual Focus and it will work.

And by the way, when you were trying to be helpful to affas what did you mean by "Make sure you have the camera setup in 1080P, not 1080I of you will get crap."?

Minnzoo

Well, first of all, thank you for reiterating the knowledge regarding the manual focus. What I was trying to say to Affas, I was telling him that if he is seeming to need external power in order for his converter to work, he should ensure that his HDMI resolution in the "main settings" is set to 1080p. I'm not sure if this is his issue, but I did have this problem when I first set this up. I apologize for my newbie-ism, but although I am an experienced RC Heli pilot, I am new to AP. I am just trying to help, but I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,

David