F550 Avroto 2814-11 Gains?

BIGTACO

I just outfitted my F550 with Avroto's all around. I am using Graupner 10x5 props right now since the motors are mounted in stock locations...

Can anyone with this Avroto setup tell me what gains you ended up at?

BIGTACO

The graupners are an absolute must. I cannot imagine flying without them now that I have them. Right now I am using 10x5's but plan to move on to 12's once I get a proper camera gimbal and larger battery capacity (weight). Of course I will have to go with arm extensions to be able to fit the larger props. http://aerialmediapros.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_36&products_id=157

In regards to gains I was able to get them dialed. I started out thinking that they would need to be super low with these monster motors. Oddly enough this wasn't the case. Tonight when I get home I will hook her up to the computer and see what I have them all set at, then post the values here. Flights with the avrotos are better than I had hoped. The avrotos are so close to perfect balance that all I had to do is statically balance the blades, mount them on the motors, then dynamically balance the blades on the motors. I didn't need to balance the motors themselves at all. These motors and blades are damn near perfectly balanced now which means zero footage "jello". They are rated for a max of 350 watts per which equates to 2.8 HP for all 6 motors! They run super cool. After a 10 minute flight they are only slightly warm. I haven't placed a temp gage on them but I imagine temps are somewhere around 110 to 120 F.

With the combo of these motors, graupners, and Naza GPS this bird is amazing to fly. Heck it almost flys itself!

How are the Graupners on your craft? Were you able to get the gains set right? How are your flights?

Dewster

Thanks! I'm going to build another Hexa since my Xaircraft hexa crashed (carbon fiber prop failure mid flight). I used Avroto motors on the Xaircraft and loved the motor's performance. I will build a similiar setup once I get the equipment (now that my mind is made up). I still need to check my WKM to see if it was damaged from the crash though. :(

I hear a lot of good things about the graupner blades. What flight times do you get with your set up and battery/ies?

BIGTACO

Sorry about your crash. That sucks!

I fly in GPS mode and am using a 5000 mAH lipo. I have a per cell voltage alarm on the bird and its is set at 3.5 volts per cell cutoff. When the alarm sounds I am usually at about 10 minutes, and I land. My flying is very smooth and easy though with aerial videography as the purpose. I never fly in manual. I tried manual once and it scared the crap out of me with these powerful motors lol!

Thanks! I'm going to build another Hexa since my Xaircraft hexa crashed (carbon fiber prop failure mid flight). I used Avroto motors on the Xaircraft and loved the motor's performance. I will build a similiar setup once I get the equipment (now that my mind is made up). I still need to check my WKM to see if it was damaged from the crash though. :(

I hear a lot of good things about the graupner blades. What flight times do you get with your set up and battery/ies?

Dewster

Lol! That's good flight time. Yeah... I stayed away from manual mode too. I had it set on my transmitter, but never touched it. I read enough about the flight differences. My ship was for photo and video too, so I didn't care for any surprises.

BIGTACO

Were you using a camera gimbal on your bird? Right now I am using a self fabricated "hard mount" for my camera. It works sorta ok but most of my footage isn't really usuable for the quality of film we produce in our company. Gimbals are so darn expensive though for a good one! I want the AV130 with skyline RSGS controller if I ever win the lotto!

Dewster

I had a relatively cheap 2 axis camera gimbal that was large enough to hold a Sony Nex 5n. It did provide stable video and super clear photos. The camera's image stabilization combined with the gimbal were a good match (not professional, but certainly useable).

Yeah, need a lotto win for some of these gimbals. They cost more than most ships. Lighter, cheaper, and professional results. That's what I'm aiming for.

Thankfully I didnt have my Sony on board when my ship went down. I did lose a FPV camera. I was able to salvage 4 out of 6 motors, but question their integrity after such a crash.

Here's the FPV video from my cheap gimbal. This the FPV camera and not the Sony:

YouTube:

http://youtu.be/IeA_1ofl-8o

BIGTACO

Many thanks for the video. You had a nice setup. I bet after the crash some "words" were yelled. What gimbal is that? Also, Sony NEX-5N stabilization is pretty good?

BerndM

I don't want to hijack your thread :shame:
BUT...I NEED to know WHICH carbon fiber prop failed!!
Thanks

Dewster

Initially I thought about the AV130. The cumulative cost is the crazy part. Put so much money in the air and lose it in under 2 seconds on a bad day.

I like the video footage from the Zemuse, but once again, just how much money do you want floating on a platform?

Luckily no one saw my Hexa go down. Only the creatures in the forest witnessed that one lol. It looked pretty violent. A flurry of activity and the failsafe kicked in when the craft rotated over 45 degrees. It took me about an hour to find it. I will say that I'm impressed with the WKM. The only crash that I had was due to the prop snapping.

BIGTACO

Dewster you dont happen to have any footage using your gimbal and the sony nex-5n filming do you? Also, what gimbal are you using?

Also, nice Z!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigTaco

Do not run 12's on the F550 Conversion. The copter never seemed to fly right, no matter what we did to the settings. This was the same for a wookong and Naza equiped F550.

The best prop to use with the conversion kit are the 11x5's.

Dewster

I don't want to hijack your thread :shame:
BUT...I NEED to know WHICH carbon fiber prop failed!!
Thanks

I bought Gemfan 10x4.5 full carbon fiber props. I installed them on a thursday, test flew the craft for four minutes. The flight was perfect. I noticed the difference between the props and the APCs that I was using. The flight seemed crisper, but resulted in more wobbles (if you can believe that), because of the improved stiffness. The next morning, I visually checked the props (no issues found) and felt if any had come loose (by hand). I put the craft up in the air and in less than a minute I heard a loud snap. I knew immediately what it was as I saw my flat hexa tumble and just drop straight out of the sky. It was followed by a loud crunching sound. My craft crashed in the woods and I spent an hour searching for it. I had my wife randomly move controls hoping that I would hear servo/motor noises. When I found my craft, I could see the prop that snapped mid flight. Four other props were damaged and another one was completely destroyed from what I assumed was because of the crash.

I secured the props with Nylock nuts. I was told that I may have over torqued one prop or that it may have been a defective prop that had a hairline crack. All of the hubs remained intact and I could see where the prop broke free of the hub. I was told by the dealer that some of the larger Gemfan props have thicker hubs. These hubs were just wide enough to secure a 6mm nut onto it's surface.

The dealer spoke with several vendors about the issue and will keep an eye out for more reports on failures from the full carbon fiber props. The APCs are nylon and flex and are much more forgiving than carbon fiber. I don't think that I overtorqued the nut. Anyway... I see a lot of craft that have crashed from losing props, or props breaking in flight. I think I will give the Graupners a try or just stick with APC props. It was an expensive crash....

Dewster

View attachment 5020

Here is one photo that I took with the Sony Nex 5 on the camera gimbal. I don't have video to post. The Nex 5 stabilization combine with the camera gimbal is good. The videos that I did take were great. I had comments by some who said that it looked like the craft was just floating on a pillow.

Attachments

• The Bay 2 (1).jpg
    The Bay 2 (1).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 292

BIGTACO

Thanks for the tip my man. Will do.

BigTaco

Do not run 12's on the F550 Conversion. The copter never seemed to fly right, no matter what we did to the settings. This was the same for a wookong and Naza equiped F550.

The best prop to use with the conversion kit are the 11x5's.

fealves

The graupners are an absolute must. I cannot imagine flying without them now that I have them. Right now I am using 10x5's but plan to move on to 12's once I get a proper camera gimbal and larger battery capacity (weight). Of course I will have to go with arm extensions to be able to fit the larger props. http://aerialmediapros.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25_36&products_id=157

In regards to gains I was able to get them dialed. I started out thinking that they would need to be super low with these monster motors. Oddly enough this wasn't the case. Tonight when I get home I will hook her up to the computer and see what I have them all set at, then post the values here. Flights with the avrotos are better than I had hoped. The avrotos are so close to perfect balance that all I had to do is statically balance the blades, mount them on the motors, then dynamically balance the blades on the motors. I didn't need to balance the motors themselves at all. These motors and blades are damn near perfectly balanced now which means zero footage "jello". They are rated for a max of 350 watts per which equates to 2.8 HP for all 6 motors! They run super cool. After a 10 minute flight they are only slightly warm. I haven't placed a temp gage on them but I imagine temps are somewhere around 110 to 120 F.

With the combo of these motors, graupners, and Naza GPS this bird is amazing to fly. Heck it almost flys itself!

I am using the same setup as you, F550, Avroto motors, and Graupener e-props 10x4.7', but I was not able to find the correct gains. Could you please let me know what gains are you using?

Thank you.

:shame:

SMP

"mount them on the motors, then dynamically balance the blades on the motors" ???? Do share??