Ken from Vancouver, Canada

kenuck

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a quick hi and intro myself. I'm very new to the multicopter world, in fact, very new to the RC world. Will be starting from the very beginning (including learning to fly) :) Just bought the DJI F550 with Naza to learn, can't wait to start.

My main goal is to eventually do AP so if anyone can recommend reading material, it be much appreciated. Already finding lots of info here.

cheers

Welcome aboard, fellow Vancouverite lol. I have just done tons of reading both here and rcgroups, been flying helis for about 18 months, multis like 3 months, just built my ap rig and super pumped.... Better not have any mechanical failure lol. Drop me a pm anytime and we can try and meet up maybe. Im in coquitlam

kenuck

Hey Elliott000! always good to see another Vancouverite.

Now that hockey is dead to me (until next season), it's time to get into an even more expensive hobby! I'd be interested in hearing about your AP setup. I"ve bought most of my gear except the gimbal system. Just waiting for everything to arrive ... currently teaching myself to fly a blade MQX.

cheers

jappie911

Hi Ken, :tennis:

Jasper from Holland here !

I am glad I got you started with this great hobby !

Like I said , this forum is the place to be for the right info..

Greetings from Holland, also to Cristy !

anaka

Hi Ken and wellcome!!

how is Vancouver for multirotots? can you fly in the parks?

i'd like to know the situation before to move all my items there :D

Ive flown all over and have had no issues.... Actually flew at our sanctioned park in poco and told a guy off lol so i prefer public parks

anaka

Hi Elliot,
what abouth the local law?
is it permitted to fly in the parks or similar places inside the city?

From what ive read a uav that would require paper work has to weigh ove 35kg, i just keep it simple and safe, if theres a bunch of kids and stuff, on to the next park. A few people around ill fly. My main concern is failure during fpv and dropping it on someones roof or car. Worse yet a person but unless i drive an hour and a half there will always b people... Theres a couple other threads on here about laws in canada. Police have passed by while doing some mild 3d with my trex 550 they just watch

kenuck

Hi

There are RC clubs you can join and they have parks with designated flying times (Burnaby Park) ... I'm just too lazy at the moment.
Each city will have their own by-law and most of them don't allow you to fly in public parks (unless it's with a club). That said, I've not had any issues at parks with little to no people. I fly at dusk at very low altitude and no FPV.

As long as you don't go over houses, people and near busy roads ... you "should" be fine.

Hi Ken and wellcome!!

how is Vancouver for multirotots? can you fly in the parks?

i'd like to know the situation before to move all my items there :D

anaka

so basicly it looks the same situation of UK...

thanks for the informations, if I'll move in Vancouver we have to meet for a flight and a beer ;)

I'm visiting Anmore near Port Moody right now and am trying to get my son Philip (25) who lives there, linked up with some local hobby stores for fpv and DJI 450 stuff but we can't seem to find any. My lad and I had his Icon A5 with Gopro out on Buntzen Lake last week and the footage was great. Like you Elliot, we fly where there are not many folk around, not too interested in clubs.
I return to the UK in a week or so and I would appreciate a heads up from you guys in his area to take up where I leave off.
Cheers
Dave

Cool. You wont find any shops loxally here that stock dji. I usually deal online for that but my goto guy is Cam at gogohobbies. Great guy great shopits on austin in coquitlam.... 10 minutes from port moody. Ill pass my number along if u want for flying, ive got me 2 quads and i bought a radian pro glider and now im gunna grab a Zephyr 2.. Fun toys but ill still be a heli guy at heart lol

Cheers Elliott, that clears up the lack of DJI resellers but yes, we went to gogohobbies last week for some bits and although they seemed very much into rc cars & trucks, they were very helpful on the plane side. We're in whistler right now but back in Anmore next Wednesday. It would be good to get your number and I'll get Phil to call you if that's ok. I would have brought my 450 from the UK if I could have and I'm dying for Phil to get one but he could do with a contact or two here. He flies well though and his thing is shooting aerial footage using a go pro. Hope you can catch up.

fear4fun

Thread jumping because with my newest acquisition I've been joining new forums and looking for more people to work and fly with. I'm out in the Valley, Abbotsford specifically, and would love some flying company. Also, I have access to an indoor gym big enough for all my toys! You're welcome to join me.

d.

Fear4fun sounds pretty interesting. Ive been wanting to get my tbs disco setup with,cc3d but the rain isnt cooperating lol. Times tight until xmas but ill keep in touch in the new year for sure

flitelab

The only local shop I've found that sell DJI stuff is http://www.snhobbies.com/ in New West -- but for the most part, I order my stuff online from the US. http://www.rchelicanada.com is a good Canadian supplier too , they are just starting to stock more MR stuff and hopefully they continue to increase their stock.

cheers

im always adding to multirotor stock as well and if something you'd like to see carried just ask. www.flitelab.com
just gut more Gemfan wood props in stock but not on site yet plus some other new frames and motors hopefully coming soon.

wizzy87

Hi All,

Finally got round to joining the forum, my dad is billywiz and i have just returned off holiday.
If you guys ever fancy meeting up one weekend and want someone to fly with then send me a message.

would be good to have other people to fly with.

Cheers
Phil