Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have just finished my setup with 3 axises 360 servos with no external pots so I have put the HFG on the camera plate (front right). This limits the amount of space for the camera (no room for the video cable) so we will have to use an additional small camera for fpv - this might actually be an advantage for stills since the video from the camera blanks out for a second when the camera takes a still. Hopefully will be able to adjust the view finder to see the same frame of information. The amount of control with PID settings is nice but a bit overwhelming with the variables and trying to figure out which settings is affecting which part of the movement - an exercise in trial and error.

After quite a bit of experimenting the settings are getting close on the bench. However, I can't seem to change the deflection angle on tilt axis (actually the other servos don't seem to change either).

Tilt settings:
Min Pulse width = 1.0
Max Pulse Width= 2

Angle (on the tilt) = 180 (changing this number has no impact on the servo movement)
Angle velocity = 45

What do I need to do to get the gimbal to point directly down? I read the work arounds others suggested previously but surely the gimbal setup client can accommodate for this. Any suggestions? Why would changes to those settings have no impact on the servo throw?

- using the latest firmware version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
guys, i'm going to run the gimbal on my next build with the GIMBAL. :dejection: does it do any better on the camera tray vs. the body of the heli (or some other reference surface)?

thanks,
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Not being able to point directly down is something I have yet to figure out how to accomplish. As you say the input field makes no difference in angle range. I gave up on getting a response to this and just kept it as is and deal with it. I also still have a glitch when it returns to level.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
If the servos are 360 continuous rotation (without potentiometers) the manual indicates the HFG must be mounted on the camera mount, so that the board can monitor all axises.

Bartman

but there's no official position that it works better one way or the other? i've got a spot for it under the lower frame plate, i guess i'll see how it performs there and then just work from there.

thanks,
bart

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I would say if that manual says "it must be mounted on the camera tray" - that would be official as it gets. It makes sense if you don't have potentiometers on any axis the HFG can't monitor then performance would probably be compromised.

hoverben

Person of Interest
Hi guys,

Going to try to provide some quick answers since I am logged in here - not something I have gotten the chance to do lately, unfortunately!

When I have everything set to auto - My tilt tray wont even move when the heli is moving in any direction. ...
And when I have the mode switch to pos 2 - where my camera tray should lock on angle I make and autocorrect with flight.. it wont do anything either - just goes to the angle then back to home when i let off control stick.

I believe I responded to an identical e-mail last night night, but just for the record - this only makes sense if Tilt has been set to always use Angle Position rather than Mode Switch. Check the Transmitter/Receiver Control for the Tilt channel and make sure that "Mode Switch" was selected - and don't forget to "Save Settings"!

The non-quoted part of your message is all correct - Mode 0 is intended to prevent the craft or the user from ... let's just say "unintended consequences" while on the ground.

After quite a bit of experimenting the settings are getting close on the bench. However, I can't seem to change the deflection angle on tilt axis (actually the other servos don't seem to change either).

Tilt settings:
Min Pulse width = 1.0
Max Pulse Width= 2

Angle (on the tilt) = 180 (changing this number has no impact on the servo movement)
Angle velocity = 45

What do I need to do to get the gimbal to point directly down? I read the work arounds others suggested previously but surely the gimbal setup client can accommodate for this. Any suggestions? Why would changes to those settings have no impact on the servo throw?

- using the latest firmware version.

The problem is that you are already using the maximum deflection values. Dan was working on a software change for this at one point - I will have to put it on my list to follow up on with him.

I would say if that manual says "it must be mounted on the camera tray" - that would be official as it gets. It makes sense if you don't have potentiometers on any axis the HFG can't monitor then performance would probably be compromised.

This is correct. If you're using it with continuous rotation servos, it must be mounted on the camera tray.

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21649133-Where-to-mount-the-HoverflyGIMBAL

Bartman

Ben,

I've sent an email to Al with the same question but is there an optimum placement on the mount? About the pitch axis maybe or less than a certain amount below the camera tray? Most trays are well below the camera and translate quite a bit as they rotate which is why I assumed they were to be mounted on the heli frame. Weren't they mounted to the frame when they first came out?

THanks,
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm also confused by this. Initially, when I purchased the hovergimbal I was so excited to be able to ditch the pots as they are a weak link in the chain. But I was told that I needed to wait for future firmwares to do this. I am still using 1.6 since it worked pretty well right out of the box. But I am thinking my glitch issue is most likely the pots and would like to get rid of them. The wiring will be a little messy though as there is only 1 board. I think it should be like the alex mos where one board can accept all the control and inputs and the other board is just for sensors. make sense?

Bartman

fwiw, potentiometers are a wear item in your mount. your mount will spend most of its life within a very small portion of the pot's movement which causes wear in the resistor element of the pot and reduces performance. i've had jittery gimbals go back to normal after replacing the pots.

ymmv.
bart

hoverben

Person of Interest
Hi Bart -

The general rule is this: The HoverflyGIMBAL MUST move with any part of the mount that is controlled by a continuous rotation servo, but it MUST NOT move with any part of the mount that is controlled by a position servo.

So if you are using continuous rotation servos for all three axes, the only logical place you can mount the HoverflyGIMBAL to meet this specification is on the camera tray.

Please see the link I provided for a diagram and further explanation.

Bartman

so i was actually correct then in my original planning, if I'm using servos with potentiometers then I can mount the GIMBAL on the lower frame plate, off-site from the camera mount itself. this is according to the link. my quesiton Ben in the last post was to find out if there are any optimal positions on the camera mount but I won't be doing that so we can forget that discussion.

thanks,
bart

hoverben

Person of Interest
Ah. No, there isn't really an "optimal" place on the camera tray. That's what Mounting Bias is there for - it measures the offset and then applies that to all of the calculations, eliminating the need to be perfectly in-line with the camera. (Although obviously you still want to try to get it close!)

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Okay here is my latest correspond with Hoverfly about limited travel on the tilt servo. Their suggested solution solved the servo movement limitation problem without the workarounds suggested previously - at least for my setup with continuous rotation servos.

On 2013-04-11, at 2:48 PM, Ben Halsted <notifications-support@hoverflytech.zendesk.com> wrote:
## Please do not write below this line ##

Ben Halsted, Apr 11 04:45 pm (EDT):Hi Marlo,
Something else to check:
Under "Configuration & Calibration" > "Receiver Configuration" > Channel 2 > Offset Speed > "Set Range," make sure that the Max Offset is set to 180 as well. Offset speed settings are used whenever the HoverflyGIMBAL is in Velocity Mode (Mode 2), and the Max Offset is the furthest throw at which the servos are allowed to continue at speed.

Okay changing the Offset Speed worked - although changing the speed is a bit counter intuitive ...but as long as it works.

So one must not only change Max Offset but also the Offset Speed to change the servo range.

hoverben

Person of Interest
I realize this setting is in kind of an odd place, so I'm not sure if this makes it any more intuitive, BUT ... You aren't changing the speed with the Max Offset. You are changing how far the servo is allowed to move when it moves at the Offset Speed.

Honestly, I wish we could combine the maximum offset for all modes into a single setting, but I also know we have customers with specialized uses who need the option to make them different from mode to mode as well. Trying to keep all of the people happy all of the time... it's a tricky business sometimes. :)

Anyone have time for a skype chat session to help me get my newly acquired HF gimbal set up on a 3 axis gimbal with continuous rotation servos.? I am just trying to get through the calibrations and the Accel calibration will only read the board when the board is at 45 degrees and not flat. So I can't seem to get the calibrations started. I would assume I was a flat tray to start. I thought this was going to be an easy install, but got stumped.
PM me

flashervn

I need help with my HFG and PH AV200. Currently I am on firmware 1.19 rev2. Things that are not working properly:
1. I cannot activate Yaw compensation even if the box is ticked and I have manual control of the pan axis. Magnometer is calibrated fine
2. In my tilt axis, I could not go further than 45 degree and there is a significant delay to respond to stick input at either end, e.g. if I was pointing the camera down 90 degree( amx I could go) and keep giving stick input for 2 second, when I want to tilt it up, it would take 2 second to resond

Anyone could give me some guideline? Thanks

I am also having issues. When I power on, it levels the camera. When I move the gimbal, it stabilizes fine. But, when I give tilt input, it starts to tilt then roles all the way to one side. The roll will not respond to my stick inputs either. Anyone have anything happen like this?

hoverben

Person of Interest
Just a reminder: this is a user-driven forum, not an official support channel. If you are posting questions about a Hoverfly product here on MRF, I normally assume that you are looking for input from other users.

If you are having issues with a Hoverfly product and you want an official response, please submit a ticket at our support site (https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com) or email support@hoverflytech.com

flashervn - Please fill out a support ticket as resolving your issue is going to require a bit of back-and-forth so that I can determine exactly what you are using and tell you the correct path to resolve it. A public thread really isn't the best place for that conversation.

tahoelight: It sounds like you have Mode Switch up, is that correct? Under Configuration & Calibration > Servo Configuration > Channel 1: Roll, set your "Transmitter/Receiver Control" to "None." If this doesn't make the problem go away, please submit a ticket or email me.