Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Here's a user video using the HoverflyGIMBAL from RCGroups.

The latest firmware really works well!

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Sony RX100 with Steadishot switched ON - so hard to tell how well the Hoverfly Gimbal is working. :( (not doubting, though, that it is working very well :))

Does anyone know the PWM update rate from the Hoverfly Gimbal to the servos?

tppeng

Sony RX100 with Steadishot switched ON - so hard to tell how well the Hoverfly Gimbal is working. :( (not doubting, though, that it is working very well :))

Does anyone know the PWM update rate from the Hoverfly Gimbal to the servos?

I believe it goes from 50Hz to 400Hz, it's in their manual. Too shame it's out of stock and I'm on my way for oversea trip. Do you guys ship to Taiwan?

We shot this with the Hoverfly Gimbal (Cinestar 8 with Cinestar 3 axis gimbal, Hoverfly Pro, and Hoverfly Gimbal board):

And yes, there is a small bit of post stabilization (why not use it?).

I think that as more direct drive gimbals reach the market, we'll see an improvement. But as it stands right now, the technology is available for making great videos.

VERY NICE. Can I assume you were using Pan Stabilisation too?

We shot this with the Hoverfly Gimbal (Cinestar 8 with Cinestar 3 axis gimbal, Hoverfly Pro, and Hoverfly Gimbal board):

I think that as more direct drive gimbals reach the market, we'll see an improvement. But as it stands right now, the technology is available for making great videos.

ChrisViperM

For me...the waiting and guesswork is over...I will go for the Hoverfly...no need anymore for fishing in too many ponds

Thanks for the vid...you made my day

Chris

Gunter

Draganflyer X4

Well done mate, that's a brilliant film!

What camera are you using?

Gunter.

As far as I know/have seen, I have yet to see the Pan work correctly with the Hoverfly Gimbal board. I am getting my pitch and roll a little closer and still trying to get it to the point Ben has his but Pan is a completely different story. I have finally gotten it to "correct" when moving my multi but it is way to slow and not accurate. Also won't let me control it with my transmitter. Have talked to Ben at Hoverfly and he can only do so much but has tried to help me every way he could, still waiting to hear back from Dan at Hoverfly since july 16th.

Kari

Benjamin, very good video again. I 100% agree, it's same rules as shooting on the ground, it's not gear what makes the films. I see so many clips of zenmuse just flying around on the field in the gusts proving it's stability. Seen that, and already kind of bored to robotic looking footage. It's nice to see high quality footage shot by pro with right movements, footage looks very naturally smooth. Which settings you use in GH2 by the way and did you shot 720p50? I've been very pleased with latest driftwood cluster.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
i got a hover gimbal to try out. hopefully the setup is less complex than the skyline. I'll let you know how it goes.

Benjamin, very good video again. I 100% agree, it's same rules as shooting on the ground, it's not gear what makes the films. I see so many clips of zenmuse just flying around on the field in the gusts proving it's stability. Seen that, and already kind of bored to robotic looking footage. It's nice to see high quality footage shot by pro with right movements, footage looks very naturally smooth. Which settings you use in GH2 by the way and did you shot 720p50? I've been very pleased with latest driftwood cluster.

Kari,
Glad you liked the video - we appreciate it! For the kayaking video, we shot 1080 24p. The camera was hacked with the Orion v4b hack, I believe. For the money, the GH2 is hard to beat.

all the best,
Ben Rowland

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would like to say that I just spent about 30-45 minutes installing the hover gimbal and I feel like an idiot for going through the Skyline hell! I probably spent over 10 hours trying 5 different firmwares and adjusting things. Then after being told I needed 3 BEC's, 3 batteries, a new power harness, felt washers, shock absorbers and a barrel of luck I got a hold of this thing. I will admit, in Hoverfly style, they over do the literature and it does make it a little intimidating. But truthfully it was much simpler than I thought it would be. I didnt even use the rubber mounts, I just double foam taped it to the av200 and told it the orientation, went through the calibrations and voila! I set my bec to 6.5v and it is just perfect. No creep, no jitters at ALL, very fast, there were plenty of adjustments there if i felt the need to play with them. but all in all this is exactly what I need. I dont need tripod steady shots, I just wanted smooth enough to not induce rolling shutter or headaches when watching. But it is much much better than I was hoping for and that is great news. So hopefully this adds a little more confidence to anyone thinking of getting a cam gimbal that wants something that will WORK! I am not affiliated with Hoverfly, though after flying the new boards I wouldnt mind. :) Congratulations Hoverfly on making some amazing products. I am still blown away at the smoothness of the .802. FYI, I used 1.03 for the gimbal. It was a little confusing because there is a test 1 at the top of the list which i ignored.

Yuri

Good to see a report like this. Thank you.

Would be nice to see an "in the mirror" video of the AV200 showing Roll, Tilt and Pan all working together.

Cheers

I would like to say that I just spent about 30-45 minutes installing the hover gimbal and I feel like an idiot for going through the Skyline hell! I probably spent over 10 hours trying 5 different firmwares and adjusting things. Then after being told I needed 3 BEC's, 3 batteries, a new power harness, felt washers, shock absorbers and a barrel of luck I got a hold of this thing. I will admit, in Hoverfly style, they over do the literature and it does make it a little intimidating. But truthfully it was much simpler than I thought it would be. I didnt even use the rubber mounts, I just double foam taped it to the av200 and told it the orientation, went through the calibrations and voila! I set my bec to 6.5v and it is just perfect. No creep, no jitters at ALL, very fast, there were plenty of adjustments there if i felt the need to play with them. but all in all this is exactly what I need. I dont need tripod steady shots, I just wanted smooth enough to not induce rolling shutter or headaches when watching. But it is much much better than I was hoping for and that is great news. So hopefully this adds a little more confidence to anyone thinking of getting a cam gimbal that wants something that will WORK! I am not affiliated with Hoverfly, though after flying the new boards I wouldnt mind. :) Congratulations Hoverfly on making some amazing products. I am still blown away at the smoothness of the .802. FYI, I used 1.03 for the gimbal. It was a little confusing because there is a test 1 at the top of the list which i ignored.

Yuri

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I didnt hook up the pan. I guess for now I have no need with a second operator. I'll take a flight tomorrow and see how it really does with a camera on it. As much as a bench test only goes so far, I can tell it does very well without having doing any extensive tuning.

I'll be grabbing one of these hoverfly boards. IrisAerial, I've followed your Skyline progress or lack there of so reading this is inspiring. Question is, will this work fine on a Cinestar gimbal?

I'll be grabbing one of these hoverfly boards. IrisAerial, I've followed your Skyline progress or lack there of so reading this is inspiring. Question is, will this work fine on a Cinestar gimbal?

For 2 axis with signal boosters yes, for pan not at the moment. Not auto compensation at least. I am working with Dan at hoverlfly to get mine working and it is proving to be not easy. I still have hope that we will get it figured out though. Gonna talk to him some more tomorrow and go over what I learned tonight and see what he thinks.

Stacky

Yuri,
you mention that you think Hoverfly overdo the literature. I remember they started out trying to cover everyone from complete beginners to experienced users. They do make an effort to listen to suggestions and it might be a good idea if you sent them an email outlining a couple of points in the literature that needs looking at. I have been using the HFP for over a year now and for me everything is very clear and easy but thats because I am experienced in most of the different ways to do things and where to find answers I need. New users thoughts and ideas will be very useful to HF and things I "just know" can probably be made clearer if new users point out where the info is confusing or lacking.