Need Help! Whats next?

David Bach

OK I bought a Drone or a Quad Copter, not sure which is correct. It's a Potensic T-35. I like it a lot and after several crashes and a few new parts I can honestly say I'm a better pilot now than I was a month ago. There is still room for a lot of improvement.

I applied for and received a Drone Pilots License from the FAA. My Drone is above the minimum weight and I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to do. I live out in the country and air traffic is not an issue. The only traffic I ever see is airliners flying at altitudes that are miles above any thing I can do. My license says I can't fly over 400 feet and that's more than adequate for now. I'm also listed as recreational only and not approved for commercial applications this too is not a problem.

Now what do I do? Do I need anything above the license I have? Can I enjoy my new toy with out being concerned about arrest? I don't look good behind bars.

I'm in East Texas on Lake Livingston and most of the people here can't even spell Drone. I moved here, I wasn't raised here, most people keep to themselves and try not to bother anyone. I only fly during the day, never at night.

Any advice? Do I have to get something that reports my location? What in the world would that cost?

David B

Hi David,

I am in no way a legal professional, but I've done some research on drone regulations. I think that (for now) if the drone is over 250 grams, all you need is to register the drone and display your number clearly on the drone.

However, I have even seen (online, at least) legal flyers get confronted by police who are unaware of drone regulations, so the best insurance I think one could have is to just stay away from people and property and use common sense. I hope this helps!

David Bach

Hi David,

I am in no way a legal professional, but I've done some research on drone regulations. I think that (for now) if the drone is over 250 grams, all you need is to register the drone and display your number clearly on the drone.

However, I have even seen (online, at least) legal flyers get confronted by police who are unaware of drone regulations, so the best insurance I think one could have is to just stay away from people and property and use common sense. I hope this helps!
Hi David,

AwesomeCobra

From what I've read you art correct, and I appreciate the words.

I did register my drone but the pocket card refers to a test on Aeronautical Safety. This is spelled out on the card and it says you must have passed the test. Now that you helped solve the first mystery. Maybe someone can tell me about the test, what's covered? Where do you take it? What does it cost?

If I'm not mistaken the test doesn't exist. What's up with that? Why on earth would the FAA require a test that doesn't exist? What happens if a police officer reads you registration card and asks for proof that you passed the test? You could wind up in jail over something the FAA required that doesn't exist ….. and I seriously doubt that they would come to your aid. You would have to sit in jail or go through the expense of defending yourself for something you had no control of.

I have flown a lot of rockets, model rockets, scale rockets, big rockets. One of mine was 6 inches OD and 12 feet tall. I flew it twice on home made motors. Early in my rocket days the ATF decided that out propellant was and explosive and to continue enjoying the hobby we would all be required to obtain Federal Explosives Permits. This was expensive and a thorn in the side of every rocketeer. In the end the organization I am a member of files a lawsuit against the ATF and won. After that the license nonsense went away.

Our Government is not very good at regulating anything.

All I want to do is be a responsible Drone Pilot. I'm sure many of you feel the same. In the mean time I will continue to fly and adhere to the law as best I can.

David B