Need Help Choosing a Drone for Covid-19 Response Programme

Abdullatif

Hi everyone,

I work for a Foundation that is planning to launch a drone response programme for a possible 2nd wave of Covid-19. We are looking for drones that would be able to deliver food parcels or PPE equipment to frontline NHS staff in emergencies.

We are looking for a drone around the following specifications within reasonable cost:
  • Carry a load of 7.5kg.
  • Cover a distance of 6 miles in one go.
  • Trackable.
  • Carrying/dropping system.
  • Can be operated in bad weather conditions.
  • Easy to learn how to operate.
What kind of drones should we be looking for? And what kind of low-cost solutions could be developed?

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Jason S

7.5kgs is a heavy payload for any drone to carry 6 miles.
ALTA X could carry it easy enough safely but i dont think it could make the distance even a full throttle. plus i wouldnt want to fly a big drone over people etc its just far to risky.
Even good fpv systems struggle after 6-7kms range. then you would have to fly back on a low battery or get someone to change it?
I think there some hybrids around that could carry it and have the flying time to and back but payloads are like 3kgs.

Where are thinking of going flying to and from?

Abdullatif

7.5kgs is a heavy payload for any drone to carry 6 miles.
ALTA X could carry it easy enough safely but i dont think it could make the distance even a full throttle. plus i wouldnt want to fly a big drone over people etc its just far to risky.
Even good fpv systems struggle after 6-7kms range. then you would have to fly back on a low battery or get someone to change it?
I think there some hybrids around that could carry it and have the flying time to and back but payloads are like 3kgs.

Where are thinking of going flying to and from?
Thanks for your response Jason S, that's very helpful.

We are actually looking for something that could cover a total distance of 6 miles (taking both ways into consideration), so it would be able to cover a radius of 3 miles.

We are planning to launch this in the UK, specifically in London. We are aware of the restrictions imposed by the regulations, but we are hoping regulations would be eased soon in the current situation.

I came across few automated drones that have similar specs to what we are looking for, but most of them are either not tested or have very high prices.