Sony a7rii yuneec tornado h920

Earthmech

Hi,
I have a yuneec tornado h920 with the cgo4 camera/gimbal. The hexacopter is quite good but the camera/gimbal and video transmission is poor. I want to fly it with a sony a7rii. What would be the best gimbal and video transmitter/receiver to use for reliability and a solid 1 mile range? What would be the easiest to set up so i can still run the copter and camera through 1 remote?
Thanks

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
Well if your flying the the US 1 mile would not be LOS, but any 5.8 ghz with proper ant will do .

Earthmech

Well if your flying the the US 1 mile would not be LOS, but any 5.8 ghz with proper ant will do .

Thanks Drone talk, I'm in Australia and we still have to fly line of sight. Point is it needs to be a stable signal. The standard drone come with 5.8 ghz but any more than about 200mtrs and it will start dropping out. I have improved signal a bit with an itelite antenna on remote and ran external antenna on the drone. Still very average at best

Old Man

Something’s not right with your range. I fly a 920+ and regularly go out 550+ meters with no issues. I’m U.S. and don’t normally use metric measure but 1600’-2000’ is common for me.

Adapting a Gremsy gimbal and Connex for video transmission would be a good direction to go. You would want to add a small, separate FPV camera and vTx for guiding the 920. The bird will handle the weight.

Unfortunately the batteries Yuneec is selling are crap and are breaking down from the first time you use them. Some battery experimenting has established Zippy Compact 5000mA, 25c batteries from HobbyKing are sized small enough to easily place two in the battery bay. Flying very aggressively I have obtained 25:39 in flight time with them. You have to make plug adapter wires to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earthmech

Something’s not right with your range. I fly a 920+ and regularly go out 550+ meters with no issues. I’m U.S. and don’t normally use metric measure but 1600’-2000’ is common for me.

Adapting a Gremsy gimbal and Connex for video transmission would be a good direction to go. You would want to add a small, separate FPV camera and vTx for guiding the 920. The bird will handle the weight.

Unfortunately the batteries Yuneec is selling are crap and are breaking down from the first time you use them. Some battery experimenting has established Zippy Compact 5000mA, 25c batteries from HobbyKing are sized small enough to easily place two in the battery bay. Flying very aggressively I have obtained 25:39 in flight time with them. You have to make plug adapter wires to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Old man! That is some very helpful information. Good to hear your 920+ is going well. 25min flight time is great for a bird that size.
I have found the internal antennas on the cgo4 gimbal and I'm going to experiment with running external 5.8ghz antennas to see if that improves my range.