Recommendation for 1st drone

jyellard

i have been racing RC cars for quite a while and have had planes as well. However, it seems the way drones are sold or custom built are not very familiar to me. I was a guidance and controls airman in the Air Force, so I can follow the various sophisticated controls that are not typical with cars and planes.

I want to either buy or build a drone to play with and record videos on our family trips (we camp, dirtbike, and mountain bike). I have a Go Pro Hero 3+ which might realize may need to be updated. I like the idea of recording with a Go Pro vs a camera built into the drone. I saw a video of a DJI phantom 2 were someone was using an app on their phone to monitor various parameters such as battery life, speed, altitude, and to record the video. They had some kind of signal booster on the DJI controller. I also, like the idea of using a phone to monitor the drone and record video.

Any recommendations for a first drone and where do I start? Where is a good source of information?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

JCLs

Why use a phone if a touch control on a dedicated all in one unit is available? For what you want, and want to use GoPro there is nothing wrong with a Karma. You will hear a bunch of folks saying DJI is only way to go but more than a few of us happy with the Karma for exactly what you are doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk